3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: super curve crackling  (Read 1472 times)

Offline jmrsyrs

• Trad Bowhunter
super curve crackling
« on: April 20, 2024, 06:42:32 PM »
Bow is a Border Mosstrooper super curve carbon back and belly. When drawing the bow I am hearing a slight crackling noise. Has anyone experienced this or is there a problem with the bow that could be dangerous or? Thanks in advance for any input, Jim.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: super curve crackling
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 10:52:25 PM »
If thier is alot of wax in the string grooves and on the string at the ends it could be sticking to the long curves possibly.

If its not that I would feel pretty uncomfortable with the noise.

Offline SOLDIERII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 09:22:13 AM »
Contact Sid at Border. He will be happy to advise you.
SoldierII

Online Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 05:41:45 PM »
I'd try cleaning some of the wax off the ends of the string..anywhere it contacts the limbs..I've had wicked cracking noise from wax sticking to the limbs before..I used a hair dryer, fold one of your wife's favorite dish cloths in half, lay your string in between the folded soon to be nasty garage rag, and heat the cloth where it is covering the string. This heats up the wax that will now wick into the cloth..roll the rag with the string in it while very warm and it will remove excess wax..this cured my crackling noise instantly. DISCLAIMER: Not responsible for frying pan injury\assault resulting from putting the dish cloth back into the drawer.
Joel

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 06:25:15 PM »
I would pay attention to any strange noise I heard from a supercurve.  If I heard a strange noise, I would start checking the brace height and tiller each time I took the bow out to shoot it, and if I noticed any unexplained change in those, I would stop shooting the bow until it was inspected.

After shooting bows almost every day for more than 30 years, I have had only two bows blow up on me: one was an old dual shelf recurve that someone had given me, and the other was a less than 6 month old supercurve.  I have a good friend with as much experience shooting bows as I have, and he has had only two bows blow up on him: both  nearly new supercurves.  I was shooting with another friend this morning, and his nearly new supercurve blew up on him, which is the only time he has had a bow blow up on him, I think.

I don't know why this is happening, but I have to believe their are higher internal stresses in a supercurve than regular bows, and the safety margins are thinner than usual to cut down on the weight of the limbs and get the enhanced performance they are looking for.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline jmrsyrs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2024, 06:32:56 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies guys. This is the first super curve I've owned and I am a little leary of it. After cleaning the wax off the string and grooves that seems to have taken care of the problem.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 11:25:41 PM »
Like others have said, likely wax in the string nocks.. Try getting rid of any excess wax and lube it sparingly with some silicone spray
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 08:28:32 PM »
Would highly recommend remaining cautious and contact Border.

Had a new Border Super Curve that on the 3rd outing, completely fractured on the top limb....blacked my eye for over a week and gave me a 2" long cut just below my eye and down my cheek...I was quite fortunate that was the limit of the injury.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 09:29:52 PM »
After hearing the stories of those things I wouldn't shoot one with a catchers mask and a football helmet on. LOL

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2024, 04:37:12 AM »
Sounds like you got it figured out.I thought that might be the problem.If it was something else it would have blown up or delaminated after popping,creaking noises etc pretty quickly.

Enjoy your bow!

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2024, 06:38:14 AM »
It is the wax.  I have owned a bunch of Borders in ILF and Covert Hunter.  They don't make any noise that any other bows doesn't make.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©