3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is there a point where we can become too technological ?  (Read 463 times)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Is there a point where we can become too technological ?
« on: May 19, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
I find myself trying to come up with a good method of sharpening a grizzly head; just difficult to make it sharp the length of the blade; and then I read about the weight difference between my gluing the head onto a wood shaft; and using an insert; and screwing the head onto an aluminum shaft.

I want to do what is right; but i look at some of these kill photos; where you could stick your hand through an entrance wound... and I am thinking.. do I want to do that to an animal?

I have left a few badly connected arrow hits on game. They were not savage wounds; the animals recovered. Statistics thus far show they can do that. Then I wonder if I make a bad shot with a broadhead that is savage; will it decrease the ability of the animal to survive a wound that it could survive otherwise?

Then I get discouraged when I have an arrow that is 'perfect' for a bow of 50 pounds; but unethical for one of 70. What?

But yes; if I fall short grain wise; of the right weight for my bow weight; the arrow is not heavy enough.

If the arrow is not FOC enough; then its not going to perform like it should.. and then is it ethical to use it?

If I shoot carbons; and the fibers get into the meat; do I lose more meat; or if the animal escapes; does the carbon end up stuck in the mouth of the guy that does shoot straighter?

If I don't use fast flight; I loose arrow speed; but then I am told its not the speed; its the weight of the arrow.

The wrong broadhead is just not the right one; yet wanna start an endless thread? Say which one is the right one.

My head starts to spin; and I don't shoot my bow enough; because I am uncertain of the ethics of my setup.

Is technology interfering with my ability to enjoy what I am doing?

I start to scratch my head; because I have felled over 60 big game animals; many many many- with arrows clean through their hearts. Many many with arrows through the lungs... and know what?  I was happy with it.

Now; I am wondering. Is this as much fun as it was? Do I need to stop reading the discussions of arrow weights and broadhead designs and like a pole vaulter; let the first seasons of my hunting carry me over the to the last?

I have shot deer with a 2 blade zwickey; and watched them kick their back legs; and then continue to feed until they blacked out and dropped. I have seen them hit and continue to follow a hot doe; mount it and fall over dead.

I had a friend a long time ago that broke his back; and he was given a choice; fuse the vertebrae so he stood straight up; or bent over.
 He dropped a glass; and could not see where it was; and stepped on it. He called an ambulance; and talked to the dispatcher until the ambulance got there. He was in no pain. But- he died just as the ambulance crew got there.

Bleeding to death is not painful. I was stabbed once by a stilletto through a vein coming out of my liver; and into a lung. The initial pain was a shock; but like a razor cut; it hurt only for a second or less. Then there was no pain.

And then I look at this grizzly and wonder- what is it going to do ? I want an effiecient kill; but a painless one if I can.

Is my arrow FOC enough to do this; is my broadhead heavy enough; is the arrow heavy enough; is this and is that... and suddenly its not simple anymore.

And when I was shooting for two decades with an arrow deemed by most to be to light; and a broadhead not beveled.... I did fine.

Has technology really helped me be a better hunter; is all this technological stuff incouraging me and others to put an arrow into the air with freedom ?

I am sitting here wondering.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is there a point where we can become too technological ?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
I'd get the Q-tip out.

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
Very interesting post, I have to agree with you. There are a lot of discussions out there about which broadhead, shaft weight, FOC, et cetera. I think some of us get a little lost in the tech discussions and it might dampen our ability to enjoy the sport to a point.

However, this is all very useful information. I am a new hunter and have not taken any game yet. By reading through some of the discussions I have been able to select an arrow that I am confident with when I go into the field this season. A quick clean kill is my top priority.

You have the experience to tell you if your equipment set-up is capable. Don't get wrapped up in the tech talk. Go shoot your bow and enjoy yourself. Make ethical shot decisions and enjoy the hunt.

By the way, what is your current set-up?

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by bjk:
I'd get the Q-tip out.
:biglaugh:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline JiminTexas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
The man that introduced me to archery, and he should know what he's talking about, he was inducted into the National Bowhunters Hall of Fame, told me that archery has three components, mental, physical and technical. The least important of the three is the technical and the most important and hardest to master is the mental.
Younger money, faster whiskey, older women and more horses.....or something like that..

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
A gentleman I consider a good friend has no computer access and doesn't read archery mags-and makes his living as a guide for traditional archery only hunters.
One day I asked him how he stays up to date on the latest developments in archery.
He smiled and and said " what-did I miss something?"

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
I think we way overthink things, at least I know I do.  If the arrow flies well, and is matched reasonably to the bow, and your broadhead is sharp, that's enough.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
I thank the good Lord I got into archery before it got to be a physics class.  Please understand, I appreciate someone doing the homework, but I make a conscious effort to overlook all the discussion and hype about what is right and what is wrong.  I started hunting with a recurve before I knew anyone else still really used those things.  Why? Because I was sick to death of all the technical components, frustrating equipment and physics it takes a PhD to wrap your noggin around.  I was successfull way beyond reason back then and I continue to be.  Before you get too frustrated, lay it all down, pick up your bow and just go shoot.  Remember why you do this.  Have fun.  Make a deliberate decision to read the science and throw out anything that doesn't appeal to you.  Forget what others say and think.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Jacko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
My circle of friends have a blunt saying on this topic we never fail to point out when we notice each other overthinking or complicating things as in your post Brian , it keeps us grounded and our minds free - White fella's disease - we complicate everything . For me this means respect for the ingenious and simple matter that traditional archery should be

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.'"

-Charles Darwin

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
I see where your coming from Brian. When in doubt go back to what YOU KNOW works. You have put down enough animals and YOU KNOW what works.

And ya know what? there is more than one thing that works. 'Cause someone does it this way dont mean that way, your way, my way is less effective.

How did anyone ever kill anything before Grizzly's and XX% foc...GOOD GRIEF!!

Quit thinkin and start shootin

Eric

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
We all have to decide which floor to get off.  The elevator stops at all of them and we are allowed to visit other floors.

There are over 15,000 folks on this site and I bet as many renditions of what is actually "right".  

We need to worry less about what others think (at least regarding this point) and just do what makes you feel right.
ChuckC

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Find an arrow and broadhead combo that flies perfect from your bow, get it razor sharp and go kill something. Do not over think this thing. Do ya think the native americans used to worry about all the mumbo jumbo. Get close and put one thru the lungs, if ya don't use your tracking skills and judgement and than go find it. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
Like the way Shawn put it!!   I also like ChuckC's reference to an elevator - a good way to look at it.
Mel Riley

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
Maybe it`s not so much technology as it is knowledge.

We KNOW that  sharp heads are the most important part of our gear.
Cut on contact two edge, or mechanical heads that have almost as many moving parts as a Buick V-6. It`s not the technology that kills, it`s the keen edge on the steel blade.

We KNOW how to get maximum penetration from a particular bow-arrow combo. We KNOW that an arrow with the bulk of it`s weight up front requires more resistance to stop it. Not really technology, just knowledge. We KNOW that arrows that are not high FOC will still kill cleanly.

In the end, I KNOW there is a risk of killing an animal that I do not recover. I KNOW that through knowledge of my equipment, and my abilities, that risk is minimal. My enjoyment in what I do comes from the fact that with all the technology available, it is my KNOWLEDGE that makes me a proficient hunter. It is my knowledge
that I must rely on.

I hope the joy never fades for you, or me, or anyone. Part of the joy of traditional archery is the ESCAPE from technology.

Now you have me wondering.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
Come on now Brian.  It's just the old .45 v 9mm argument with a traditional archery twist.  You know the best equipment is what's in your hand.  Thing is, it's all capable depending on YOUR knowledge and how YOU use it.

All this equipment discussion is just fluff we bounce around to entertain ourselves when nothing else is going on.

Wouldn't surpise me one bit to see two Native Americans sitting around the campfire 300 years ago bantering back and forth over which this or that works better for this or that.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
Brian, with over 60 animals taken sounds like you had it figured out. Go back to what was working for you and forget all the other ****.  One set up will work for all of us. Keep it simple.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
Man is a problem solving animal.

If he doesn't have a problem to solve, he will invent one !
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »
The arrow paradox
“ If everything when it occupies an equal space is at rest, and if that which is in locomotion is always occupying such a space at any moment, the flying arrow is therefore motionless. ”
—Aristotle, Physics VI:9, 239b5

In the arrow paradox, Zeno states that for motion to be occurring, an object must change the position which it occupies. He gives an example of an arrow in flight. He states that in any one instant of time, for the arrow to be moving it must either move to where it is, or it must move to where it is not. It cannot move to where it is not, because this is a single instant, and it cannot move to where it is because it is already there. In other words, in any instant of time there is no motion occurring, because an instant is a snapshot. Therefore, if it cannot move in a single instant it cannot move in any instant, making any motion impossible.

So, if you try to remove a Q-tip ......

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 03:40:00 AM »
poke poke poke...
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©