Author Topic: Earth pigment in alcohol base dyes in laminations?  (Read 819 times)

Online dbeaver

• Trad Bowhunter
Earth pigment in alcohol base dyes in laminations?
« on: May 01, 2024, 08:52:46 AM »
I believe I have seen some veneer dyed under clear glass.  I'm wondering if the core lams can be dyed to better match riser woods etc.

The wipe on rare earth pigment dyes in alcohol seem to impregnate the wood grain and then dry completely.  I'm not sure if the surface is contaminated for glueup but I have seen dyed curly veneer under clear glass before.

Offline Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Earth pigment in alcohol base dyes in laminations?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 09:20:35 AM »
I e only done it once but had success with using Keda die stain in acetone. I stained the curly maple on this riser to compliment the Bootee. I then stained the bamboo laminations on the limbs to give them a darker, amber tone. I did this right before applying finish and not before assembly of the limb. The acetone dries so fast I’m not sure how far it will soak in. In my case I did not want it to go deep as I didn’t want it to bleed into the edges of these veneers.
I have experimented with wiping it on veneers before layup before and I don’t hunk you would have a problem with adhesion as long as it is fully dry. That’s one reason I prefer the acetone over alcohol. I do not have a pic of the side of them unfortunately.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 09:58:14 AM »
Bingham used to sell waterbased colors for laminations. It was a powder that you mixed with water. Bought some, but never used it :dunno:

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 12:18:41 AM »
Hey, fine looking bow Jon  :shaka:

Online dbeaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 07:18:21 AM »
Good info guys. So we have acetone that works, water seemingly works because it was being sold for this specific purpose. I believe you're right Jon as long as it is dry it should work out. 

And yeah Jon that a sweet lookin bow, I bet is shoots as nice too

Online Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 10:36:55 AM »
As the recipient of Jon's 2024 Swap Bow,  I can tell you that his bows perform beyond their aesthetics!  I've shot a lot of recurves over the years and his surpasses them all.
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Offline Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2024, 04:46:13 PM »
Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words.

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 08:14:52 PM »
Great looking bow Jon, and a Happy Birthday also !

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 10:04:56 AM »
Great looking bow Jon.

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2024, 04:19:24 PM »
I've used General Finishes Dye stains with good success. They're alcohol based, come in a red label can. The names of the colors are basic as heck, "light brown" and "dark brown" for instance, versus their water or oil base stains that are descriptive names like "silk grey" and stuff.

when I've used them I wiped on lightly after final sanding to thickness, then wiped off. If your veneers or core lams are too thin or figured, they'll curl when they dry. I then let them sit 48 hours prior to gluing so I know it's dry. I think the oldest bow I've done with that method is 1.5 yr and probably 15,000 shots? The guy that has it shoots a TON.

Online dbeaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2024, 04:42:04 PM »
That sounds good enough to me I'll be giving this a shot.   I like what I see with my maple and actionboo cores but sometimes my maple is almost a little pink in hue what seen in contrast with the bamboo and various other veneers.  It's not a big deal but a like a nice accent stripe so here's for nothin on the next bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©