3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Walking with the legends and who are they now?  (Read 356 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Walking with the legends and who are they now?
« on: May 19, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
I was just reading Gene Wensel's memories of Paul Schafer in the legends and pioneers section. Sometimes I forget that there are members here who have actually spent time with or hunted with these guys. I personally have never known or met any of them, but their legacy benefits me to this day.

Some of you knew them and I envy you. It isn't everyday you come across dynamic people like our founding fathers, so to speak.

Being able to read those stories makes me hope I can be even 1/10 the ambassador for our sport that they were. I personally hunt by myself far too often and only get to feel the spirit of the legends.

So I ask you.

Who are the legends you curently walk among?  Is it your brother, dad or best friend?  Who is the person that you can point to and feel you are better for knowing them? Who is the legend you walk with in the woods?

-Charlie

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Walking with the legends and who are they now?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
All of the people on this site are legends in their own way. All of them benefit the sport to one degree or another, whether by just participating, or by leading others.  
ChuckC

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »
My hats off to you chuck c  :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:   Well said
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by frassettor:
My hats off to you chuck c   :notworthy:      :notworthy:      :notworthy:    Well said
I agrre whole heartedly
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
Amen to Chuck C's statement.

I been able to hunt with some great bowhunters...some who aren't with us any more are...Paul Murphy, he got me started bowhunting ( he hunted with Bear and Hill), Russ Dickson...he was my mentor, and a great woodsman.
Some that are still with us...Sterling and Krista Holbrook, friends in the true sense!  Cowboy (Tony Franklin) a woodsman and hunter!

There are more and I hope more to come in the future!
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
Although I've never hunted with any well known legends, my dad is a legend to me in my own mind.

He took me with him from when I was about six years old, from what I can remember. I remember hunting from the "crotch tree" with him. We didn't have tree stands back then, he stood on some limbs and I sat in the crotch of the tree. A couple of things I remember of the crotch tree: 1. Dad seeing two does heading our way. He told me they would pass by at 12 yards, they did, he missed, we paced it off - 12 yards. I considered him the smartest dad in the world for knowing how close they would come to us. 2. Sitting in the the crotch tree I was bored one day. Had a pack of Denteen gum in my pocket, decided a couple of pieces would be a good idea. Throwing the wrappers on the ground, however, was definitely NOT a good idea, and I sure heard about it.

Other things I learned with "my legend" was walking through the woods. I don't know how many times I was told not to drag my feet, your moving to fast, slow down - what's your rush? Look and listen, you might learn something. Don't slam the damn door (for the 6th time that weak)! Turn your head slow, don't make eye contact. These were all things he seemed to stress to me. Now, at 76 years old, he's slowed down quite a bit. Seems as if sometimes I stress to him what he once stressed to me. Life comes full circle?

One thing has changed over the years, we listened to Charlie Pride on his old eight trak tape player in his old truck, to and from the hunt. I still know all the songs by heart. Only now, we play them on cd.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »
Two Arrows,

Thanks for posting.  I never had anyone to teach me and so I don't have the memories.  I didn't start hunting until I was 24 and everything has been self taught.  It is good to hear father/son stories.  Wish I could join you in that. I'm trying to be a good mentor for my daughters so that they will have the memories as you do.  

Well told. Thanks.

-Charlie

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
The legends are the ones you do not see. When hunting they follow the game laws, they do not trespass, they take only shots they seem sure they can hit, they respect the animals. While on the practice range they take time to help the new guy, they pick up others empty water bottles and other trash, they leave the place cleaner than they found it, if a target needs minor repair, they fix it, they have pride in the places they visit. They do the right thing.
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©