Author Topic: Delaminating mess up and looking for glue up tips  (Read 2984 times)

Online Susquehannariverarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Delaminating mess up and looking for glue up tips
« on: May 05, 2024, 10:29:05 AM »
Glued up an all zircote glass long bow. And when I checked it using the push pull method the belly glass came right off. I could peel it off like tape.

I used a lot of 1:1 mixed ea 40, weighed both parts and everything. Put it in the heat box like I normally do, etc.

After talking to someone through here I'm wondering if using acetone on the zircote caused the oils to lift or something. I haven't used acetone on the veneers on my 2 previous bows. But these one got pretty dusty in storage.

Also glue up is my part I'm struggling the most with. I definitely have some short comings in my form and I'm going to build a new one. But I'll take any and all glue up tips.

Online B-JS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Delaminating mess up and looking for glue up tips
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2024, 01:15:10 PM »
Don't use Aceton on "oily" woods.
If you have dirt or dust in your veneers, sand them and blow of the dust.
Mix Smooth on 2:1.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024, 01:22:00 PM »
Mix by volume not by weight .  Part B is lighter than part a so you would get too much of part B by weighing 50 -50 . Acetone works to clean oily woods I use it everyday .

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 01:28:37 PM »
I never use acetone on veneers.  How old is your epoxy? I mix by volume, be sure and mix it really well.  Several years back we had some bad ea 40 sure we aren't having a repeat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024, 01:33:35 PM »
Epoxy is new. And good to know about doing it by volume. I'm curious on why only one part delaminted.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2024, 02:31:48 PM »
I never use acetone on anything to glue up. Brush or blow off(clean air) , I use 40 - 50 grit on lams and riser parts, I know veneer sheets I've bought seem pretty smooth, so last one I did with those, I clamped one end and block sanded with 50 , pushing away from clamp always ,if you pull back you break a veneer(I know this!!)

EA 40 is pretty easy , as long as you don't get too much of the hardener in it. I measure with plastic cups and go with a little more part a than b.

You can go as much as 2A:1B but I never go that much.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2024, 02:36:43 PM »
Oh, Chad Holm was shooting a bow when he was here to hunt once ,he peeled glass off of due to streaks and put new glass on.  Said if you warm the glass  at tip , get a knife under it and warm it a little as you peel, you can take it right off.  I'd see if I could save it by removing glass, sanding the glue on lam and glass with a block to keep even , and run her thru the form again. Might be out a bit of glue if it doesn't work...
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2024, 04:43:31 PM »
Oh, Chad Holm was shooting a bow when he was here to hunt once ,he peeled glass off of due to streaks and put new glass on.  Said if you warm the glass  at tip , get a knife under it and warm it a little as you peel, you can take it right off.  I'd see if I could save it by removing glass, sanding the glue on lam and glass with a block to keep even , and run her thru the form again. Might be out a bit of glue if it doesn't work...

I might have to.give that a try. And thanks for the information. The rest of the glue (all from the same batch) seemed to hold up but I'll give a try back in the press.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2024, 06:21:21 PM »
I clean my glass with acetone. Never on wood. Like Kenny said always use more resin than harder by volume.
I have never got too excited about the mix as long as more resin than hardener. Heat mine up to about 135 4-6 hours depending on temp at the time let them cool and good to go.
High on Archery.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2024, 06:25:45 PM »
Crooked stic do you do anything different with oily woods? My last bow was curly maple and all went well.

When I inspected the failed bow this afternoon. The glass separated very cleanly and left a very smooth layer of epoxy on the veneer.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2024, 07:15:18 PM »
I too always scrub the glass with acetone but never any woods.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2024, 08:19:07 PM »
Glued up an all zircote glass long bow. And when I checked it using the push pull method the belly glass came right off. I could peel it off like tape.

What is the push pull method?? :dunno:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2024, 08:29:23 PM »

Yep. It happened immediately, very little pressure.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2024, 08:32:13 PM »
Here's a bad picture of what happened. Dropped my phone the other day

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2024, 08:33:43 PM »
Here's a bad picture of what happened. Dropped my phone the other day

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2024, 06:03:36 AM »
If your MC is good tĥen wood just needs to be fresh sanded and blowed off with air I can't use the rosewoods they break me out.
High on Archery.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2024, 08:32:09 AM »
Ok good to know stic. Always learning something...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2024, 08:35:15 AM »

Just realized I read this wrong. And push pull is like the stringing method. But i didn't have a string on it. I heard someone call it that once. Idk know the actual proper term for it.

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2024, 09:56:45 AM »
It seems to me, that if the glass peeled off “cleanly and left a very smooth layer of epoxy on the veneer” the problem was with the glass and not the wood. Are you 100% certain you wiped down that glass? That would be the question I would be asking myself in the same situation.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2024, 10:37:28 AM »
It seems to me, that if the glass peeled off “cleanly and left a very smooth layer of epoxy on the veneer” the problem was with the glass and not the wood. Are you 100% certain you wiped down that glass? That would be the question I would be asking myself in the same situation.

I think I would agree with this post. I always clean glass only with acetone. Never the wood. Freshly sand, and use a brush just prior to lay up.   I mix my EA 40 about 2/3rds resin to 1 third hardener, heat it before mixing, then mix throughly with my drill and a paddle bit for a minute or so.    Kirk.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©