3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What for scratches on a selfbow?  (Read 1016 times)

Offline D Durham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What for scratches on a selfbow?
« on: May 07, 2024, 03:30:47 PM »
I know some us tung oil but I looked it up and learned that it doesn't penetrate scratches very well on wood. There is no stain on the wood yet the scratches are lighter in color and I'm looking to darken them up a bit.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What for scratches on a selfbow?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 05:25:07 PM »
I like to use wax for preservation and looks on my own self bows. Oils do tend to rot after a long time .... I have a big can of floorwax and some chunks of beeswax and some hard wax in chunks. You might need a heat gun but don't get the bow too hot, or dry it out. Also you might check with the maker as well ..... Keeping a self bow at the right moisture level is paramount. That can depend a lot on your climate and location. Beeswax does help regulate the moisture content .... also according to some, wax is good for modern bows as well.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 06:07:57 PM »
The scratches should be sanded out before adding a finish. With most stains and finishes any blemishes in the wood will stand out.
 I have used Tru-Oil for over 30 years on my selfbows and never had a problem with it rotting and some of them are still around.I like Tru-Oil because it is easy to apply, dries relatively quickly and repairs easily when needed. To remove the shine I do a quick spray of satin poly over it. I have firearms that have had Tru-Oil finish on them and have spent time in salt environments and roughly handled in the woods and with little elbow grease looks like new.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 12:57:41 PM »
.........The scratches should be sanded out before adding a finish. With most stains and finishes any blemishes in the wood will stand out.
 I have used Tru-Oil for over 30 years on my selfbows and never had a problem with it rotting and some of them are still around.I like Tru-Oil because it is easy to apply, dries relatively quickly and repairs easily when needed. To remove the shine I do a quick spray of satin poly over it. I have firearms that have had Tru-Oil finish on them and have spent time in salt environments and roughly handled in the woods and with little elbow grease looks like new..........

I agree that there are many finishes that could work well in this situation. Especially ones that dry so to speak. I should have been more specific, meaning the use of natural oils like mink oil and bear grease and those sorts of things being that were talking selfbows and not ultra modern stuff.
And i didn't mention sanding as that could effect the tiller .... In fact that is how I did the final tiller on my own selfbows, by sanding, then on to a polishing grit ... But one still could go ahead and sand it good and polish it, and then just redo the tiller which is common on selfbows anyway .... one might have to build his own bow if he wants an elaborate finish i guess ...
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 04:04:04 PM »
I have a selfbow that I made that got a few scratches along the way, shallow scratches and not gouges.  It was not stained and was finished with several coats of tung oil years ago.

I took one part white vinegar(1 table spoon) and 2 parts olive oil(2 table spoons) and mixed it really well. Then applied it to the scratches and rubbed it in a bit. Then I let it sit for about 3 hours to let it soak in, and then I just wiped off all of the excess.

It worked well so I used it on a cedar cigar humidor that gained a few scratches when someone set something on top of it and slid that something off of it instead of picking it up.  Worked like a charm.

My selfbow was Osage and was aged so it was much darker than when I built it.  I did not want to discolor my bow so there was no sanding.  No sanding on the cedar humidor either.

I think I took some before and after pics on the humidor and I'll try and look them up later.

In the meantime you can see it done on yt...

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2024, 09:44:31 PM »
Cedar humidor

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline D Durham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 05:42:43 PM »
Thanks!

Vinegar and olive oil easy peazy and "worked like a charm".  :archer2:

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2024, 11:37:06 PM »
I agree with what Pat, and others have said, and add there is no need to use sand paper or garnet unless you can feel the scratch.  Most times when you sand with 150 grit, you then need 250 and 400 to get the scratches out, you left behind. I also agree if it is old wood like Osage, Cedar, or Yew too much sanding creates lighter shades in the wood.  I have refinished bows with Birchwood Caseys Tru Oil, and really appreciate how well it rubs out by hand, or with a shotgun cleaning patch. If you buy a small bottle, poke to holes in the foil seal under the cap at 12:00 and 6:00 one for air and one to apply Tru Oil with your hand or cotton patch. When through, put a small bit of kitchen wrap over the top, then hold it while tightening the cap. Otherwise it will become thick as it has a short shelf life. If you need to sand, buy a pack of dark green kitchen fiber cleaning pads. They are roughly 3 x 5 and 1/4" thick.  Sand with the grain, lightly and wipe off the dust. It won't leave any scratches. You can us a cotton towel, or T shirt and a little mineral spirits to wipe the bow down before applying the Tru Oil. Mineral spirits is a thinner and clean up for Tru Oil.  Work quickly, and after 2 hrs use the pad to dull the finish and apply another coat. Apply three to six coats for a gloss finish.  When done, shake the dust out, and rinse the pad. Repeat with light sanding if you want a gloss finish; sand lightly to reduce the gloss finish to a semi gloss or mat finish. 

Because you have most of the Tru Oil left and you want to save it, get a spray can of propane and use the extension tube to pray propane under the seal to remove the air.   
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 12:45:58 AM by Hud »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline D Durham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2024, 03:40:08 PM »
Many thanks guys, but like I stated above, I fixed it this weekend and it 'worked like a charm', scratches are gone!

I always have olive oil for cooking and grilling and my wife always has white vinegar for cleaning and Lord knows what all else.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2024, 03:52:46 PM »
Good to hear.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2024, 07:41:01 PM »
Great to hear!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©