3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sofala and Timberhawk Bows 2024  (Read 1019 times)

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Sofala and Timberhawk Bows 2024
« on: May 17, 2024, 05:09:13 PM »
My Wife and I just returned from another trip to Sofala Safaris in South Africa. We just can't say enough good things about Louis and his operation. There are many places that a tradbow hunter can visit, but I doubt there is another operation in all of Africa that just seems so accommodating to the tradbow hunter.
Louis Steenkamp, the owner, has a deep appreciation for stickbows and how we hunt. He is always looking at new ways to better accommodate tradbows. He is making some additional improvements over the next several weeks in fact. Yes, other hunters are also welcome. But there is a reason so many tradbows show up at Sofala..
We enjoy every trip there. Louis will personally pick you up at the airport and spend time actually with you if he isn't also the one guiding you on your hunt. The food is fantastic beyond description and usually prepared by his brother. His staff is as good as can be - trackers etc.
As to the bottom line, My wife used a Timberhawk Odyssey 50# and 570 grain cedar arrows. She took a waterbuck and a warthog on this trip.
I used a Timberhawk Odyssey 60# and 620 grain larch arrows. I took a bull wildebeest, an impala ram, a blesbok, and bull nyala.
Africa gets better each trip. If you are considering Africa at all, you owe it to yourself to look into Sofala. The takedown Timberhawk Odyessey bows that Scott makes are also great for travel to Africa and performing when you get there.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 05:23:35 PM by Witherstick »

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sofala and Timberhawk Bows 2024
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 05:16:24 PM »
My Wife took a warthog and a waterbuck with her Timberhawk Odyssey 50# and 570 grain cedar arrow.

I took a Wildebeest, blesbok, impala, and nyala with my Timberhawk Odyssey 60# 620 grain larch arrow.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 05:21:36 PM by Witherstick »

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 05:27:45 PM »
Some additional pics

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 07:04:28 PM »
What an amazing adventure! Congrats to you and your wife on a successful hunt for some amazing animals.  :thumbsup:

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2024, 07:37:06 AM »
 I should’ve added that we had numerous near miss opportunities that just didn’t workout.  For example, I had numerous gemsbok come in but never gave me a clear broadside shot.  Likewise, an eland did the same.  This was NOT shooting fish in a barrel.  The animals were wary and alerted to any noise or movement which makes it enjoyable. 

Offline supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2024, 10:20:47 AM »
Awesome all the way around. Congratulations to you and your wife on some beautiful animals!    :thumbsup:

Great pictures and thanks for sharing with us.  :campfire:
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2024, 01:17:42 PM »
Nice going on all the animals!

I like the looks of that bow too.

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2024, 05:05:54 PM »
We appreciate all the congratulations.  We have been sincerely blessed to experience many adventures together and try not to forget what a gift it is.  We truly enjoy sharing and hope to inspire others to seek out their own adventure when they can.

As to the quivers, let me share how we made them.  We took a travel arrow tube case and made a fabric camo sleeve that the travel tube slides into.  The sleeve has a couple of nylon pieces sewn to it that allows for adjusting the location of a leather wrap.  The leather wrap has a belt clip attached to it.  By moving the wrap into different nylon pieces, the angle that the quiver hangs can be adjusted to your preferred angle.  we place foam/rubber in the bottom of the quiver tube in order to limit movement of the arrows and help preserve the bottom of the quiver as well as help retain sharpness of the broadheads. The inside top edge is lined with soft velcro in order to minimize noise from the arrow shafts moving.

WE use a common shoulder bag to which we can easily attach and remove the quiver.  We have had success using them in North America as well as Africa.  When traveling or caught in bad weather, we simply extend the tube and screw the cap on. 

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2024, 12:11:37 PM »
Congrats to you both!!!  Thanks for the pics, nice seeing a place I enjoyed for a week.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2024, 01:34:30 PM »
Congratulations to both of you on some beautiful animals! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: South Africa is a special place!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2024, 03:58:14 PM »
Inspiring!!!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2024, 08:01:37 PM »
Thank you from both of us.  Honestly, we really enjoy Sofala and sharing our experiences there.  We never thought that we would be blessed to hunt Africa let alone getting to hunt such an incredible area with wonderful people. 

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2024, 12:50:47 PM »
That is awesome, great pictures!  It is on my list this year to try one of Scott's Odyssey's. 
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2024, 01:12:21 PM »
Matthew, you won’t be disappointed.  I was shooting a diamond series Thunderstorm Tomahawk. My wife was shooting a Great Northern Super Ghost. We got the Odyssey bows in order to have takedowns for Africa.   Since then, we have hunted and shot our Odyssey bows exclusively.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©