Author Topic: Table saw blade recommendations  (Read 1031 times)

Online Susquehannariverarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Table saw blade recommendations
« on: May 19, 2024, 07:59:21 AM »
I see lots of post about bandsaw blades but not too much about table saws. I'm looking for blade recommendations for cutting out sight windows and for ripping boo lams. Assuming I'll need a different one for each. I have a 10" 1hp older craftsman.

Online Stagmitis

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Table saw blade recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2024, 11:11:15 AM »
I use this blade for dimensioning lumber for handles etc -(Freud LM75R010: 10" Industrial Thin Kerf Glue Line Ripping Blade)....Amazing butter smooth cuts....I now use a bandsaw for lams since I save on material because of the blade thickness.

Before having a dedicated bandsaw and carbide blade I also used a 7.5 " Freud 24 tooth framing blade for profiling after I got my fade width on the drum sander. You can get through a lot of bows with this blade and it cuts very smooth and accurate.
Stagmitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2024, 04:33:30 PM »
Thanks I'll look into them. I've been using the table saw for lams because I don't have a great band saw yet and definitely get better results.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 11:44:24 AM »
Get a carbide finishing blade I saw out my bows with it after glueing works great you dont have to grind off the glue just go right from the form to the saw, you will get many bows from it before it becomes to dull. You can saw bamboo or lams nice and clean .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 12:01:34 PM »
Ok thanks. And fear off peeling glass off with the table saw?

Offline Birdbow76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2024, 02:14:05 PM »
Get the 2-pack blue, thin kerf finish blades from Home depot. They're less than $40 for 2-10" blades. Fiberglass trashes all blades eventually so I wouldn't waste money on expensive table saw blades.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2024, 02:44:44 PM »
I use this blade for dimensioning lumber for handles etc -(Freud LM75R010: 10" Industrial Thin Kerf Glue Line Ripping Blade)....Amazing butter smooth cuts....I now use a bandsaw for lams since I save on material because of the blade thickness.

Before having a dedicated bandsaw and carbide blade I also used a 7.5 " Freud 24 tooth framing blade for profiling after I got my fade width on the drum sander. You can get through a lot of bows with this blade and it cuts very smooth and accurate.

2X  on this post...
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2024, 03:30:18 PM »
Ok thanks. And fear off peeling glass off with the table saw?

depends on the direction the blade is going, and whether you have backing or tape over the glass.
i don't use a table saw on fiberglass except to rip it down in width proir to lay up, and then bring the blade up though a piece of plywood that serves as a backer board.

I wouldn't recommend cutting shelf cutouts on a table saw at all.   Carbide tip band saw blade is the best, or do it by hand with a hack saw and a bimetal blade to rough it out, then use a die grinder with 36 grit.

if you are interested here is a video of shaping one of my risers. You can fast forward to minute 23:00 to get to where i'm dealing with the shelf.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W94t24c4JC3BCdMR7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W94t24c4JC3BCdMR7

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2024, 05:44:42 PM »
Thanks everyone. Kirk I'm guessing on a one piece bow is when you hacksaw the shelf then finish the rest of the sight window on the bandsaw.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2024, 02:08:08 PM »
Thanks everyone. Kirk I'm guessing on a one piece bow is when you hacksaw the shelf then finish the rest of the sight window on the bandsaw.

Roger that.... but i remove most of the strike portion with my edge sander first.  making the vertical cut with a table saw would be dangerous. Some guys have , as i, used a router to remove that material, and it can be done successfully. But using cutters takes a bit of thought when doing any kind of mill work. There are sometimes issues with tear out on certain wood grains, and the direction the cutters are rotating is a factor with wood as well as fiberglass backing. when the cutters come out of a piece of wood, it will often splinter the wood grain or glass. sometimes just using a piece of tape can prevent this using very sharp cutters, but not always. sometimes its necessary to use a backer board. this is true for saw blades on a chop saw or table saw as well.

There are advanced methods of milling wood and other products using spiral cutters, and learning how to safely "climb cut". But....Climb cutting with a router can be very dangerous even when the router is fixed on a router table. In case you are unfamiliar with the term "Climb cutting" its a description of running your wood into the cutters in the same direction as the blades. This will definitely eliminate tear out, But it can easily grab the wood right out of your hands, and suck your fingers right into the cutters. I've seen this happen before with uneducated woodworkers. Also trying to climb cut free hand with a router is bad too. it can run away from you easily.... Climb cutting is typically only done with mill work with a power feed that holds the wood in place, or when clamped in a vise on a machinist table.

there are many ways to skin a cat.... choose wisely my friend...    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©