3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who wears a glove on the bow hand all the time?  (Read 2503 times)

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who wears a glove on the bow hand all the time?
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2024, 11:42:58 AM »
Being from south Alabama it's not that cold very often.
I wear a thin glove on my bow hand for camo.
If it's cold I sometimes wear a glove but not a thick bulky glove.

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2024, 10:22:07 AM »
Try a golf glove they work great good grip, good fit, offers some warmth in cold weather, helps grip in summer with sweaty hands. They are not real expensive.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2024, 11:59:30 AM »
To answer the question that was asked, I also use wraps or stipling on every bow for a no slick grip. The only time I wear a glove on my bow hand is when it's cold enough.
Get bamboo.

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2024, 04:51:39 PM »
Can't remember where or whom wrote it but I rmemeber someone stating (about 5 yrs ago) that beavertail actually got grippier (if that's a word) when it got wet and sweaty.
Here in Central FLorida it's always rainy and super humid most of the year and I have propensity to sweat quite easily when it's warm out (360 days of the year).

So I bought a beavertail and BIG JIM's had a video on how to install beavertail. A little challenge being a recurve over a LB and success. Had to remove, clean it and reinstall a few times but I'm a believer, beavertail works for me.

Five years and super durable even if the black dye has worn some. But when it gets cool out these old arthritic hands go for my gloves right away.
t

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2024, 09:39:47 PM »
No glove unless it is freezing.  Back in the 1950's, I bought a pair of deer skin gloves, and the right had leather stalls sewn onto the shooting glove. Still have them, I think.  The original idea for an English Longbow with cord handle but no rest. The archer shot off the glove. It prevented the grey goose quill from cutting the hand.  Here is an Englishman that uses one All The Time:

https://www.google.com/search?q=shooting+an+english+longbow&rlz=1C1PQHA_enUS539US565&oq=shooting+an+english+longbow&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyCQgAEEUYORiABDIICAEQABgWGB4yDQgCEAAYhgMYgAQYigUyCggDEAAYgAQYogTSAQoxNTkzOGowajE1qAIIsAIB&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:77f05022,vid:GbINsn5EVg4,st:0
« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 02:07:41 AM by Hud »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2024, 02:12:52 PM »
For me when I hunt, I wear same thing as I do shooting year round, a Bateman glove.  When cold may wear a fingerless wool glove on it, or just keep hand in my pocket.

Offline Bobby Sikes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2024, 04:15:42 PM »
toddster, does Bateman make a bowhand glove?

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2024, 07:38:19 PM »
I use a deerskin bow hand glove that goes on the first finger, and that one is cut off around the second knuckle.  The thumb is also cut off, but at the first knuckle.  The three bottom fingers are completely free. I like the dexterity this gives me, yet I still get the top-of-hand-and-forefinger protection of the leather.

I shoot longbows without a shelf often, and even when I have a good shelf, my hand is right up next to it.   I've had a few good nicks and zips from feather quills, and this prevents it completely.

I can't recall the brand of glove :/   Its holding up pretty well... but you can see the minute slices on the leather that would have likely been a nick on my hand.  So yeah, I like a bow hand glove.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2024, 07:56:47 PM »
Even. Do you ever put super glue gel on the front of the quills? 
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2024, 04:32:08 AM »
I have Terry... carefully faired, so there is no quill edge.  I've also trimmed really carefully too, and used thread to wrap as well, on some of the carbons I've built myself (pain in the arse!).  The sets I have tuned with the higher poundage bows I shoot now, and regularly, don't nick at all.  I COULD shoot them bare handed.

The trouble being, when I was restarting shooting after a long hiatus, I moved up pretty rapidly in poundage, and did a lot of experimenting with various arrows, lots bought, some built before I learned a few tricks.  That was the point at which my nicks were happening, and I got "gun shy" so to speak, so started using the glove then.  I just became used to it, I guess, and frankly, am too lazy to go back and go over a LOT of arrows that I probably won't spend much time with again, removing burrs. 

I still go back from time to time and shoot them though, so its nice not to have to worry if I shoot a shitty arrow, and the glove has long become a habitual thing. 

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2024, 12:27:06 PM »
A dab of extra glue on my feathers has been good for me.  Only wear the light nylon glove for hunting, as camo.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2024, 04:19:41 PM »
The glue solution was the one I settled on eventually for building my carbons.  Fletching tape, with a tiny dab at the quill front and rear.  At first I tried for pretty, and did a thread wrap over the front part of the quills... then came time for refletching LOL, a lot faster than I thought I would have to, and thats when I said "Hell with that" and went to a dab of glue, after carefull trimming of the quill front.  It works well.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2024, 01:55:30 AM »
Fly tier thread comes in a variety of colors, or heavier rod makers  thread for guides. Either can be protected by thread cement (liquid in bottle with a brush).  Personally, I taper the quill and add a drop of glue, then sand when dry to remove any rough edge.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2024, 10:56:16 AM »
When I am hunting early in the season and the mosquitos are still bad, I will wear a thin glove that I have treated with permethrin. It helps a lot.

Later in the season I will often wear a light glove just to provide a little bit of warmth and concealment. When it is cold, I use hand warmers in my pockets and maybe a light glove as well.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2024, 08:55:07 PM »
My fingers stay tender even with all the farm work,,,,The Big Shot permits me to stay fully engaged w/o distraction and maintaining extreme confidence.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2024, 03:33:25 PM »
My all-time favourite was the Under armor glove before they were sold now it's the Kuiu Ultra Merino glove and the Sting Fleece
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2024, 12:33:13 PM »
I wear gloves only in the winter,most of my bows are checkered or stippled so they are never slippery. In the winterI wear a light Merino wool glove if I am moving and if hunting from the tree stand I add a fleece glove that I can slip off if something approaches and still the Merino keeps my hand warm.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2024, 03:54:04 PM »
My dad taught me as a kid that the key to keeping your hands warm when it got cold was keeping your wrists warm. Now I don’t know if that’s true for most or not, but it has worked for me for over 55 years.  I do wear gloves on the bow hand however mostly to camouflage the skin.  I opened my glove bag the other day and counted 23 different pairs of gloves.  I have everything from old leather palmed aviators gloves to wool, to work gloves to thin cotton with the little grippy dots on them.  Also have heavy insulated gloves.  In the end I found that I tended to wear the same thing most of the time.  In early season I wore the cotton gloves and when it got colder I wore a thin pair of ski glove liners with the cotton gloves over them.  When it got really cold, I used that same setup but kept my bow hand in a hand warmer muff with a chemical heat pack in it until I was ready to shoot.
The key is that you have to practice with each setup so that you know how you will shoot with each one.  Some of my gloves induced a bow torque that I couldn’t live with and I took them out of the lineup.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2024, 04:26:45 PM »
I wear one 90% of the time . Unless it's hot out and the riser has a leather grip.
The glove does a few things , it stops mosquitos, it's dark so it is not noticed if moved , as lighter colors  , and the grip on wood is more firm.
 I have  not noticed any difference in shooting accuracy.

On a side note . Make sure the index finger part of the glove does not go above the shelf if your wearing an I insulated glove , as it will raise your arrow above the shelf and your shot will be quite high ...... And likely a miss.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2024, 04:29:45 PM »
Also , I prefer a glove that is leather on the palm or some form of grip . Straight wool can be slippery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©