3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stand set up  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Trent1

• Trad Bowhunter
Stand set up
« on: June 03, 2024, 10:51:57 PM »
Interested in buying a new set up for hang-on stand hunting. Let's hear your favorite stand/stick combo. Haven't tried the saddle yet, but might could be convinced to go that route. Thanks for input.

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stand set up
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2024, 06:35:36 AM »
My favorite hang-on treestand set-up is the Screaming Eagle Eaglet treestand that takes the brackets and aluminum rapid rail tree steps. Been using them for 33 years.
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2024, 11:32:19 AM »
Lone Wolf stand and sticks for me.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2024, 12:49:02 PM »
Are you hanging a stand for the season or for one day? those would have different answers for me.  While the Screaming Eagle is a great stand it's a bit heavy to be putting up and taking down every sit. Good for a spot for the season. I have a Millenium M7 that is only 7 or 8 pounds and I use Rapid Rails with it that I will use for portable hunting. There are many options that are even lighter.
For a lock on I'm leaving for the season I have several more steel stands with stick but I'm not carrying these around.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2024, 02:02:02 PM »
I carry my Screaming Eagle Eaglet stand in with me and out with me every time, it's 11 pounds. If you look you'll see it's holding up a VW beetle. I'm not a little guy so that's a plus for me.  :goldtooth: The full size Screaming Eagle stand I agree is a little heavy to carry in and out every time.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2024, 02:20:06 PM »
I like the Chippewa Wedge lock and the brackets you can leave in the tree and just take the stand out. Rock solid when it is set.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2024, 02:31:08 PM »
I do like the looks of the Chippewa Ghost Tree Stand (- 325 lb limit - Wedge-Loc design lightweight hang-on). It's 10 pounds. The Ghost is the smallest of the Chippewa Wedge'Loc stands.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2024, 08:01:45 PM »
Lone Wolf stand and sticks for me.

I haven't used a tree stand in years, but the above I still have and will use again.  And. As far as I know you can still buy them.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Trent1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2024, 10:35:55 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the Chippewa. I have some steel stands I put up that are in proven locations. I was interested in a light weight setup that I can put up and take down. Thanks again.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2024, 07:41:36 AM »
Bud we all have dif likes, tastes,  ideas. I use climbers as I feel we need to follow the deer movement. Hang on stands force us into a spot where the stand is. Anyhow a saddle would work but idk how old you are. I can’t use a stand with no arm rests too long. I’d also think no back rest wouldn’t be great. I don’t think I’d recommend it if I had any age on  me
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Iowabowhunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2024, 01:19:36 PM »
For a stand that I’ll put up & pull after each sit, I love the Lone Wolf Custom Gear 1.0 stand & their double step sticks
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2024, 01:33:24 PM »
I know the OP only ask about hang-on treestands but I also use climbing treestands. I do carry my hang-on treestands in and out of the woods with me but mostly because in the urban areas I bow hunt if I left them out there, they would get stolen. But the places I set up my hang-on treestands are predetermined and are preprepared. I just climb the tree and slip my Screaming Eagle Eaglet hang-on stand on to the mounting bracket already in the tree and I'm good to go. BUT I also use climbing treestands in case I stumble across a hot area to hunt with a lot of deer and especially buck activity, but I don't have the time to preprepared and hang a mounting bracket or I don't want to disturb the area any more than I have to if I want to bow hunt it right away. For these areas I use one of my climbing treestands, either my Lone Wolf, Loggy Bayou, or my Summit climbing treestands.

Offline jeffluelf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2024, 01:58:41 PM »
I have a Lone Wolf .75 hang on that I use. The mesh seat is very comfortable. I usually have pre-set stands in place on the farm I hunt. But to be mobile this works great and is very light. I got some zip pocket compartments from Amazon and attached them to my front shoulder straps to help carry ect.
Jeff

“Without effort something awful takes place in a persons life. Nothing”
- Bobby Worthington

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2024, 09:51:36 AM »
I wish someone would remake the Hang On Limit stands again. My setup I use with stand and sticks is about 10 lbs. I always take down my stand after a hunt.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2024, 11:02:03 AM »
I loved my Loc On stand and screaming eagle, until they was stolen.  I bought a chippewa stand years ago and the climbing sticks.  The stands are built like a tank, easy to hang and loved using them running and bowing.  The price is well worth what you get, as nothing but quality and mine is just as good as ten years ago. 
With that said, I little birdy let me know that the owner of the Recon Saddle, may have bought the rights to Loc On and working on getting it perfected before bringing it back out.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2024, 10:56:57 AM »
Toddster, that's good to hear about possible return of Loc-On stands!
I'm using the JRB Tree Climbing setup, now, to access trees .
Have been using an Anderson tree sling, since 1984. Alone and with a Loc-On stand have taken many deer. Now with the JRB system, even safer when ascending, and rappeling.
Recently, purchased newer saddles, CGM Cobra and ACO Woods, and liking both!

Online German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2024, 11:37:38 AM »
I've been using a Lonewolf hang on with Lonewolf sticks and Lonewolf climber since 2003.
Great stands and I wouldn't ever sell them.

However, 2 years ago I switched to a tree saddle and tree hopper ring of steps.
I absolutely love the saddle, extremely comfortable, lightweight, and easy to use. Also much more safe to use a saddle.
I modified my lonewolf sticks with Eastern Outdoors double steps and it is just so dang easy to climb and setup.
My 17 year old son has been using my lonewolf stands and I'll help him hang them and even though I've hunted with those exact stands 20 years it  drives me nuts to hang one now.
Get a saddle...

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2024, 02:45:59 PM »
 German Dog,  now ditch the sticks, or at least, get some rope for safest asending/rappel!
JRB Tree Climbing!
I've  used an Anderson tree sling, since 1984.
Both as a saddle and safety harness, along with my LOC-ON stand.
I used folding screw steps for along time, but the rope climbing setups , of the JRB system, safer, and I can climb the big Walnut trees now.

Online Jegs.mich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2024, 07:59:06 PM »
Lone Wolf assault with hawk sticks . Used stand 100$ stick's 120$.
Blessed is the man who hath a full quiver

Online Jegs.mich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2024, 09:24:46 PM »
Here's my setup
Blessed is the man who hath a full quiver

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©