3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ILF  (Read 1753 times)

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
ILF
« on: June 08, 2024, 07:47:53 PM »
For you guys in the know on ILF I am getting a 11  in. Riser.
I am wanting to get the shortest longbow limbs possible 40@28.
On average going shorter riser ups draw weight by how much an inch?
High on Archery.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ILF
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2024, 10:56:18 PM »
For you guys in the know on ILF I am getting a 11  in. Riser.

I've never seen an 11” ILF riser.  Didn't know they made them that short. The rule of thumb is to add about 1# of draw weight for each inch your riser is shorter than the stated length of riser for the limbs. This assumes that the angles of the limb pockets are the same for both risers.  So if you buy limbs that are stated to be 40# on a 17” riser, they should be about 46# on an 11” riser.  The rule of thumb works pretty for small differences, but an 11” riser is getting pretty extreme.  If I were you, I wouldn't buy the limbs unless you had the right to return them unless the weight on your riser was within a reasonable range of what you hope to get.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2024, 06:13:58 AM »
Toxocraft. Dark brown diamondwood. Kinda cute to. Anyhow the search for limbs mY be interesting  :bigsmyl:
Thanks
High on Archery.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2024, 01:45:47 PM »
Thanks.
High on Archery.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2024, 06:46:54 PM »
If what I read is correct? about 2# per inch. But, that’s not necessarily true from limb maker to limb maker as I found out using and weighing the same set of limbs on 3 different risers. You have to take into account the angle of the limb pads as well.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2024, 06:13:04 AM »
I am starting to find out all this stuff about pocket angles etc.
High on Archery.

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2024, 12:47:26 PM »
So i'm still waiting to hear more about the 11 inch riser .... If you use the formula above and work backwards you have 11-5= 6 inches between riser bolts? Doesn't seem like there is enough room there to me, for a grip and a place to put the arrow? I'm not calling foul or anything like that, I'm just very interested in what is going on. I looked on the builders web site and they don't offer that size yet or even a 13 inch riser it seems, if I was in the right place.
So you must have a very short draw. If you do manage to set up a bow like that with the shortest limbs it will likely start stacking at about 25 inches i predict ... just sayen' ... always good to experiment. Maybe the builder is making an overdraw sort of riser like the Shrew .....
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2024, 03:47:29 PM »
Well that is a compact riser for sure ... So I have a buddy who is certifiable bow crazy and he has accumulated much ILF bow parts. I shot one of his 13 inch risers with extra long border static recurve limbs and at my 30 inch draw (more like 29 on heavy longbows) I was able to draw comfortably without the limb stacking. But he had me try another setup the next time with a 15 inch riser and some high end ILF limbs that were I think mediums ....
 they stacked bad for me. The thing is you can go ahead and shoot it that way if you want. But it will be hard on the limbs and pretty difficult to be accurate with. You want the limbs to only increase about 2 pounds per inch of draw at the end of the draw. This is much easier to get nearly the same amount of thrust on the arrow each time you shoot. If the weight is going up crazy like five pounds per inch you will be shooting all over the place. This is really important shooting off the shelf to having the same amount of thrust on the arrow each time. Hopefully that will help understand why folks tend to avoid stacking.
Another important consideration is some makers do tend to compensate ILF risers so that there may be less difference in weight between a 25" and an 17" maybe even no difference in weight. so the limb pockets on a target ILF 25" riser may be strait up and down but on the shorter risers the limbs are tilted back more and more. I have talked to one maker who claimed his risers are fully compensated no guessing ....

So the one to ask would be the guy making your riser. He is the only one who has a chance of knowing what weight gain or loss your going to have with your compact riser ....
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2024, 05:42:25 PM »
I just got a PM from the maker and he said with the Limb angle that figuring on a 15 in. Riser should get me close.
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2024, 12:39:29 PM »
Why aren't you building your own ILF risers Stic?
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2024, 06:40:30 AM »
I really have no interest in building them. I got the Sanlida Hermit X10 because it was cheap (Chiniseum)  just to try. The quality of this bow surpasses any made for that price. Honestly never thought I would think that. Look up Jeff Phillips  on utube Mystery bow. For now I am just seeing if I even like them.
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2024, 01:05:40 PM »
I really have no interest in building them. I got the Sanlida Hermit X10 because it was cheap (Chiniseum)  just to try. The quality of this bow surpasses any made for that price. Honestly never thought I would think that. Look up Jeff Phillips  on utube Mystery bow. For now I am just seeing if I even like them.

I was just curious Stic.... It would be difficult to do without a milling machine, but they are actually pretty interesting to build.

Believe it or not, the highest performance recurve limbs i've ever built were in ILF format on one of my own risers, but the ILF limbs are a bit intense to build and get that limb butt shaped just right. I mill a G-10 plate on the bottom of my standard SS recurve limbs.

This one was Smokin!

https://goo.gl/photos/XRykbXpgWy8rzbvt5

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2024, 01:36:17 PM »
When you say smokin what kind a fps?
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2024, 10:51:52 PM »
Over 200 FPS at 10.5 GPP... seriously fast. Bamboo back, maple belly, 40/40 BG static tip Sasquatch SS design at 30" draw length around 62#.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2024, 05:42:32 AM »
Feathers on fire I bet. What is 40/40 BG
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 04:18:55 PM by Crooked Stic »
High on Archery.

Offline Undomesticated

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2024, 03:54:29 PM »
Over 200 FPS at 10.5 GPP... seriously fast. Bamboo back, maple belly, 40/40 BG static tip Sasquatch SS design at 30" draw length around 62#.

What do you reckon made that particular set of limbs so fast?
And how was it faster than your standard non-ILF static limbs?

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2024, 08:40:23 AM »
I have owned 15" riser but that was as short as I like to go.  Shorter risers require longer limbs and I find that I get more vibration.  As you get a shorter riser you also get a smaller sight window.  There is a reason why most hunting ILF bows have a 17" or 19" riser.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2024, 08:57:20 AM »
True of the sight window. But I cant so not a problem. And this may be something I don't like or not we will see.
High on Archery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©