3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New treestands  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
New treestands
« on: May 20, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
Gene and I just spent three full days hanging new stands for this fall. We name our stands so we don't have to relate to them as "the west stand in the northeast corner of the 40 acre cedar patch". It's just easier to name them. We hung three really great ones called Death Row; Takedown; and the Back Door. Some of our others are: Bone Pile; Squirrel Flat; Tea Kettle; Penn Station; the Salad Bar; Motherlode; Corner Pocket; Slingshot; Midas Touch; The Graveyard; 4 Star; The Gap; Turkey Track; Marth's Vineyard; Malfunction Junction; Tater Hoe; Beat to Death; Biggie's Upper Lip; Heat Stroke, etc. You get the drift. Anyway, we're needing to come up with some new stand names we could "borrow". How about listing some of your best old stand names? We just need the names though... not the location. :^) BW

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New treestands
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
The Black Hole is one of my favorite elk hunting areas; I guess that would work for some tree stands. Fornication Ridge is another great elk area.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline 52 bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
How about" not worth a d::n" I,ve got a bunch of these.You gonna be in Africa during Cloverdale?Good luck if I don't see you there!!!John Benetti

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »
Very descriptive names. These stands have only been up for 1 year since the property is new but:

Spring Head - Has a nice spring pool deep in the timber

South cutline stand -

North Creek stand -

Armadillo stand - Thought a guy saw an armadillo out of it but I had the wrong place, name stuck though  :)

East ridge stand

Double corner stand

Bobcat stand - saw a Bobcat out of it twice but have since moved it

There are several other stands on the place that need to be named. Always saying that stand back...blah blah blah

Naming stands is good fun and gives the property some history.  It does save a lot of describing where the stand is located when talking about a sighting from it.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
Heck, this is one of my favorite things...coming up with catchy stand names. I/we name all our stand sights, but we wait until after it's hunted to name it, it kind of has to "earn" a name. Some of the most memorable...

Death Valley: a saddle shaped like a small valley that had lots of deer traffic.

Stompin Ground: on a old overgrown road with a really heavy scrape & rub line. Buck came through stompin the ground at every step towards a grunt call.

Sanctuary: right at the very, very edge of a large buck's bedding area. Slipped in one afternoon under the right wind and when I got up in the tree I eventually made out 3 deer asleep just inside the thicket

The Porch: a very easy to get to, easy to climb, comfortable stand...if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

Stockpile: the last stand we hunted in a particular area when all else failed.

Triple X: I watched a buck breed 2 different does from this stand.

Bad News/Good News: sat at the edge of our land and some we were allowed to hunt, they sold it and the new owners wouldn't let us hunt their land...but since the stand was on our land it stayed and still produced.

Donkey Kong: setup near a Chestnut oak. First guy to sit it was covered in deer that were constantly pelted with the big acorns. Said it reminded him of that little guy in the video game with the gorilla throwing barrels down and the deer dodging and flinching when hit.

Whoa Nelly: my cousin set this one and first time my uncle got in it, it shifted...he said those were the words he uttered while his stomach did a flip-flop trying to regain his balance.

Moros: The Greek personification of doom. Every deer killed out of it walked by without hesitation, completely oblivious to it's impending fate.

The Victor: first deer killed out of it was by a cancer survivor.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
The Day Care Stand - does and fawns around this stand all the time.

Death Dive Stand

The Zoo

River Overlook Stand

SandBar Stand

Happy Hour Stand

The Island Stand (in an "island" of trees)

The Chute Stand (natural funnel)

The Sand Pocket

The Thick Stuff

Turkey Roost
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
Barry One stand we call Pas-Bon french for not good .The hunting is good but hell to get game out if you kill.Kip

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
We have
Plum good - near a plum tree

Sweet simmons - near a persimmon tree

Mac Daddy - this a 40' gun stand you hunt a 75 acre field

Cedar row - a stand in a cedar tree on an old fence line
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »
Cool thread, fun to see how universal some aspects of the hunt are.  I agree with JC, most times, the stand has to earn its name.  Here are some of ours:

Beartrack - found a bear track here several years back

Homestead - on a ridge overlooking the original homestead foundation

Traditions ridge - where we learned how to hunt

Two-Gobbler Paradise - my brother and I killed two gobblers within about thirty seconds in this area.  The name stuck for our deer stand in the same area.

Surprise Jake - first year turkey hunting, Chris and I were surprised by a half dozen jakes here.  I think we were as startled as they were, and the name stuck again.

Flying Squirrel - found a great old whiteoak for a stand, and as we were putting it up, a flying squirrel popped out of a cavity and scared the daylights out of us.

Copperhead Flats - bottom field where we consistently see copperheads

Proving Grounds - 2 acre clearing on top of a hill as steep as the kitchen wall

Spiral Staircase - warped lumber on a home-made ladder stand...nuff said.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
I name my stands as well, 2 of my favorites to hunt are "Maple corner, and "First shot".
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline B M A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
We don't really do any hunting from tree stands but we name locations for reference purposes.  There is - Bed-n-Breakfast, South point, Da Bowl, Short Cut, Lookout, Cross Roads, Spike Camp, Drop Off, The slide, The Mine, Poley, Schwab cut, Fork-n-horn road, 300, Pa's Rock, the corral, the flats, & I know there are more.

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
One of my favorites is a stand I call "Deliverance", because of the "house" I have to drive by to get to it.....

Then there is "Five Corners", "The Ledge Stand",
"Racoon Alley", "Home Sweet Home", "The Wall Stand", "Boulders", and a few more that I'm sure I'll remember later.

David

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Barry
I think I could do a better job of coming up with a name for a stand site AFTER hunting it for a few days this fall.Please just tell me where and when and I'll be more than happy to help you and Gene out.

Best
Bob
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
How about "death trap"?   :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
I don't name any of mine but the very few people that have had the chance to see them call'em the 'nose bleed' stands. had one fellow got a little dizzy just looking up at one of'em last fall.
   :archer:

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
"Old Faithful", "Widow Maker", "Blue Northern", "Swamp Seat", "Balcony", and "Sleepy Hollow".  

Help yourself....
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
I hope the Back Door stand got it's name  'cause a big buck uses it as an escape route   :)
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Plug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
Since litter blows across a field from the road and hangs up on a woods edge I commonly mark the entrance trails to my stands with said trash.  Easy to spot in the dark and doesn't raise a red flag to a trespasser like surveyor's tape or somesuch.  Easy for a guest to find when described, ie.  "Walk down the edge until you see the Lays Potato Chip bag then go in the woods and pick up the glow-tack trail."  Not real aesthetic but practical.

So my stands pick up the name of their entry trail marker:

- Beer box stand
- Tater chip stand
- Milk jug stand

Not real catchy but practical.

A lot of my older stands are named for a historical event. Like the "chit bucket".  An old wooden stand with a 5 gallon bucket seat was there for years.  The bucket got used for another purpose that you can guess one morning when I was caught short.  Needless to say the bucket was removed and later the wood stand was replaced with a steel hang-on but the name remains.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
Double-D...shot 2 does out of that stand on the same morning.
Multi-buck...wrapped up in big boys that wouldn't allow a shot.
Tuff Buck stand...oh so close...
Kodie's Stand...named after my best 4-legged friend who is no longer with me except in my memory.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
In bear camp they had one called "chicken choker".  I refrained from asking how it got it's name.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©