Author Topic: High grade action boo!  (Read 3137 times)

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: High grade action boo!
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2024, 04:15:23 PM »
Okay folks I still stand buy the fact that there is already a good product on the market in actionboo that is available too all who want it.
But your thread Kirk was probably not the place to give my opinion. And I apologize for that. Was trying to make a point and did it in the wrong place. Sorry
High on Archery.

Offline Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2024, 04:35:30 PM »
Kirk, that deflection test is very interesting indeed.

Great information to think about. Im not sure if you remember, but i made a post a month back or so wondering why I missed weight by almost 40% on a new recurve form. I had tried a new shape and tried the fossilized bamboo at the same time.

I think you are on to something and i will try another set of limbs with a much thinner stack than my records reflect before I write it off altogether.

If it works, and stays stable, you may have saved me from lighting $120 worth of flooring on fire.🔥🔥🥲

Thanks brother.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2024, 07:48:55 PM »
What i want to try with that fossilized material is  a 100% core on a 35 to 45# recurve. Or maybe use 50/50 with carbonized, only try it on the belly side and see how it does in compression. The stack height will be a crap shoot... You are right about that stuff really kicking the draw weight up. the last bow i used it on i cut the stack by .025 and still came in heavy.

I think it would be outstanding on the belly side of a long bow.     Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2024, 11:23:21 AM »
What Im saying is what you have is not action boo that was what Oldmaster Crafter gave a name to  what he was selling,What you have is good laminated bamboo It looks like the same bamboo I used after OM. I started using bamboo in my bows in the early 90s its great lam material if you get the right kind . What Rosewood has is good

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2024, 02:31:18 PM »
What Im saying is what you have is not action boo that was what Oldmaster Crafter gave a name to  what he was selling,What you have is good laminated bamboo It looks like the same bamboo I used after OM. I started using bamboo in my bows in the early 90s its great lam material if you get the right kind . What Rosewood has is good

I have no idea what kind of bamboo Old Master Craft was peddling.  But bowyers have been calling this laminated vertical grain bamboo "Action Boo" since about 2006 that i know of....

There was a HUGE amount of really crappy bambo on the market years ago. Besides the product being Moso bamboo, the way they handle it at harvest, what type of spray is used for bugs, and how they go about cooking it, and manufacturing this stuff all has a big effect on the finished product.... The heat treated "carbonized" product is what we are looking for use in these laminated glass bows. The natural can be used... but.... its pretty limp by comparison. Big difference in deflection rates.  I like the white natural stuff for accent lines in risers. It mills like butter.

That Fossilized bamboo is pretty serious stuff too, but its mass weight is 1/3rd heaver. But it can be used with thin lams with excellent results that does not effect performance if it's done right... I've used that stuff for 2 years now in quite a few bows.     Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline garyschuler

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2024, 09:05:34 PM »
Is fossilized the same as woven strand. Ive used that in longbows for around 10 years now on and off.
Gary Schuler

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2024, 09:38:19 PM »
Is fossilized the same as woven strand. Ive used that in longbows for around 10 years now on and off.

Yes Gary, the Fossilized stuff is a woven strand impregnated in epoxy resin. The density and hardness is off the charts and it has the highest Janka rating for hardness than anything on the market.

This stuff i purchased would work great for ASL long bows even on the belly side....I could send you some if you are interested in checking it out. Ya just gotta becarefull and drop your stack height way down to start out with on this stuff. My first bow using it with a target of 55# turned into a 90# bow on rough profile. :o :o :o    You use much thinner lams with this stuff...  Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline garyschuler

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2024, 10:15:17 PM »
Thanks kirk, but i have quite a bit left. Most of the bows i made were 45#-50# and were good shooters. Not speed demons, but in the 175- 185 fps range. 1” - 1/1/8” limb width at fadeouts and 5” tip wedges, deep cored and narrow tips. And i used 12” power lams in a few of them in the lighter weights and shorter draw lengths like 27” or so. Been a bit since bow making though, so i would have to find my log book to be precise. Thanks for the reply and offer though. Gary
Gary Schuler

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2024, 10:17:34 AM »
I think it’s ok if I high Jack my own thread here… :biglaugh:

So the big question is how that bigger boat of yours been treating you? Have you had it out much this last year? Plans for the coming season?

I went through a stage with ours where I was always working on something it seemed. I did some serious rewiring projects that helped eliminate my battery issues, and then we had some carburetor issues last summer that I got worked out. But So far so good this year. Have several trips out in the Columbia, Willamette, and lakes this year and she’s running like a top. I’m going to take her out to Bouy 10 this year and fish the big water with my son in law this August. My wife doesn’t like the big water.     Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline garyschuler

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2024, 10:51:39 AM »
Kirk, sent ya a e-mail to Bigfoot Bows.
Gary Schuler

Offline neuse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2024, 08:26:49 AM »
How do you process bamboo flooring into bow making material?
Do you grind away the base material down to the thin layer of bamboo?
Obviously I have no idea of the process.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2024, 05:49:01 PM »
How do you process bamboo flooring into bow making material?
Do you grind away the base material down to the thin layer of bamboo?
Obviously I have no idea of the process.

You want the vertical

I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2024, 09:04:39 PM »
Action Boo is just a name someone gave it like a superLam, meaning it has more than 1 taper rate or more.
I believe some bamboo is better than others. heat treating, carbonized, toast, or whatever flooring Company's name it.
my 2 cents :cheesy:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2024, 11:56:33 PM »
The name action I thought came from actionwood vertical laminated and used a core lams same as the bamboo is vertical laminated thus Actionboo :dunno:
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2024, 09:48:21 AM »
The name action I thought came from actionwood vertical laminated and used a core lams same as the bamboo is vertical laminated thus Actionboo :dunno:

I think you are spot on there Stic…. That first bunch of “Action wood” that  came out was used for gun stocks mostly and the bowyers picked up on it, and the name  …. “Action boo” was incorporated at the time about 18 years ago.   Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2024, 05:07:08 PM »
We used to I get actionwood that was hard maple a few years later it was made from birch instead.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2024, 07:46:31 PM »
We used to I get actionwood that was hard maple a few years later it was made from birch instead.

I didn’t know they made action wood from maple. All the stuff on the market was birch that I saw. When was this?  I didn’t get into bow building until 2006.

Now we did go though a phase many years ago making our own action wood. And a combo of walnut and maple was good stuff…. But….very  time consuming and expensive core wood that didn’t test any better than action boo.  This vertical grain bamboo is damn hard to beat for core wood. 
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2024, 08:32:21 PM »
Gosh Kirk hate to date myself.  It was in the early 1980s both the Old Master Crafter and Binghams carried it.  At that time Binghams only carried it and a maple veneer no other core lams.  The Old Master Crafter had a limited exotic core wood selection.  I used to order pretty core wood from Mike Fedora and  Appalachian Archery.  Those were the only real choices back in the day.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2024, 10:33:41 AM »
I’m sorry you had to reveal your Jurassic bowyer status Jess.  :biglaugh:  I was kind of sad seeing Binghams Projects shut down. I used them for my first bow supplies and bought all their plans to study. They did a good job getting guys started in the right direction. I still used them for mics stuff up until they retired.

I think old master crafter was still around when I got started, but not for long. I never used them for anything though…..When did they throw in the towel?
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2024, 11:05:12 AM »
I believe it was 2015 after John passed, Jim belcher bought most of the machines and such, does'nt seem that long ago, Time flies. Waukegan Bowmen have a Jonny G string shoot in his honor every year around the end of June. Great shoot and club.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©