3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: (No subject)HELP !  (Read 1149 times)

Offline willhuntany

• Trad Bowhunter
(No subject)HELP !
« on: June 20, 2024, 11:17:05 AM »
Hello all! I joined so I could learn and here is the first question. I just purchased several new bows (to me). Some are old. I just opened two boxes. The first was a Jerry Hill longbow. #60 shoots hard and straight. The second bow is awesome looking; however, the string sits right on the limbs and the riser. It came with the bow. Here's where you can help me.

Don Dow Stik
60"
#50 @ 28
What should the brace height be?

Open to suggestions ... Can I simply put some twists in the string? Should I order a new string? Cannot shoot like it is? Also, I need to order about 20 strings for various bows. I know there are a number of people building strings, but I want good quality hunting strings, and I don't have a long wait period before I go back to work. Who is at the top of the list for strings with good turnaround time?

Thank you in advance. Shoot strait!

Shaine Nixon
Dean of Students
Area Principal
Activity Director
Prince of Wales Island, AK
(Harleton, Texas)

You can find me at the following links.

#willhuntany
#livinglargeinalaska
#onthebanksoftheyukonriver
#onthebanksofpowisland
#fromtheprincipalsdesk

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: (No subject)HELP !
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2024, 09:28:52 AM »
You will get more responses to questions about bows on PowWow.  This section is devoted to questions about how to shoot the bow.  Maybe one of the moderators will move it over there for you.

Off the top, twisting is only good for raising the brace height about an inch at most.  More than that and you end up with too many twists in the string.

I've had good luck with Silent but Deadly bowstrings.  However, all of the string makers listed as our sponsors have a lot of experience, and I’m sure any of them could do a good job for you.  Maybe a string maker can help you with the brace height of a Don Dow Stik.  I don't have any experience with it.  If you can't find more specific information, I would start a 60” recurve off at about a 7 3/4” brace height, and a 60” longbow at about 7 1/4”.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2024, 10:12:25 PM »
Silent But Deadly has been a sponsor for years here, and that's where I get all my strings from.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2024, 09:16:52 AM »
All the strings I stock are made for us by a custom string maker and are quality. If we have them in stock, they can ship the next day. There's a good chance that a lot of the bows you are wanting strings for may require dacron strings to keep from damaging them.
I can help you with that as well.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2024, 01:33:56 PM »
Hey William!  Big Jim just gave you the best advise anyone could give on here.  Make a list of your bows with builder and length of bow then give Big Jim a call. He can tell you exactly what you need.  Good luck!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline JD Page

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2024, 08:23:14 AM »
William, Go with Silent but deadly and get it right the first time around...great strings/great service!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©