3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carp Pie - anyone try it?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carp Pie - anyone try it?
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
Got me hungery...but then again, I've eaten skunk and coyote, so I may not be the right judge on what's edible...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
I try just about anything once...which I am guessing in this case would be all that would be necessary..    "[dntthnk]"
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
Possum Pudding is my favorite. I don't think I've ever had a bad one. Carp Casserole is a close second. I'd like to give the recipe, but it's a family secret.

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2fletch:
Possum Pudding is my favorite. I don't think I've ever had a bad one. Carp Casserole is a close second. I'd like to give the recipe, but it's a family secret.
Amazing how stingy some guys can be   :rolleyes:  ...my mouth is waterin'.  Betcha Elly May is taking a dip in the cement pond and Granny is cookin' up that possum puddin' right now.
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
"...my mouth is waterin'.  Betcha Elly May is taking a dip in the cement pond and Granny is cookin' up that possum puddin' right now."
   :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 07:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by mike g:
Foods on the tabel, Carp Pie and Boiled Okra....   :mad:      :eek:      :scared:  
I love me some boiled Okra!!!!!!!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
Yea, lets leave boiled okra out of this....I like boiled okra.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
yuk

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
sounds a little bit like this:

Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
I'd like to try it but all my Carp are arrowed and released. Come to think of it you can have my piece....

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
Arrowed and released?  Bowfishing isn't catch and release.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »
It is when carp is on the other end 8^).  Make sure you slit their bellies first so they sink to the bottom.  Great food for turtles, catfish and other bottom feeders.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »
I tried to fillet one once it was such a bloddy mess of mush that I didn,t bother.Many other critters eat them beside's using them for fertilzer and not to many don't swimm away when released.

Speaking of releasing here in NY there's laws about putting fish parts back into the water within 100 yrds of shore.Shot fish while still swimming are considered fish parts.DEC will issue tickets depending on where you are.Before that it was legal to throw the left overs from filleting a days catch off the end of the dock...bait fish would feed off it in turn bringing in bigger fish....somebody complained and now ya gotsta load it up and carry it out further
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
Wow! not even gonna' try that one.  I know I'm closed minded on this and I'm ok with that.   :bigsmyl:  

-Charlie

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
OK, what's wrong with a pot of black-eyed peas with boiled okra???
Maybe a few jalapenos thrown in the pot a pan of hot cornbread...Huh?

Carp tastes pretty good, a lot better than bass.  And, deep-fried "gar-balls" are tasty...as long as you eat it hot.

Too many people lead sheltered lives!!!   :scared:  

Gene
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
Back in highschool I worked a cattle ranch during the summers. The spread boss was a mexican that didn't speak English real well. Awesome dude.

Anyhow, his wife made us burritos everyday. Us high schoolers would always pitch in with the funds, and made sure she got a little extra money for her troubles. She always kept us fed wonderfully well. She made by far the best authentic burritos I ever had nor will ever have again. It would be very hard to find a better cook then that lady.

One day it was "fich brito" day. Man let me tell you,......We stuffed ourselves on those baby's. Best fish and buritos ever! Period.

I asked, "Hey, Cisco....What kind of fish is this? It's out of this world good!!!!"

He said, "UUmmmmmmm...Catchum down reever." (caught them in the river.)

I says, "Oh.... Catfish. Yes catfish is good fish."

His reply, "C, senior.....Some catfich....Mostly the beegger whans tho....." (Yes, some catfish. But mostly the bigger fish. 'meaning carp')

They were deliciouse burritos. For the next couple of summers I would go to the river and catch a cooler full of carp and take them to Cisco so his wife would fix us Carp burritos.

My mouth is watering just thinking about them!!!! I took her some bass once to try in her recipy, but they weren't nearly as good as the carp ones.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 11:34:00 PM »
As one of six kids growing up in the post depression era we ate a lot of carp, and jack rabbit. Carp out of fresh water are very good flavored, just need a lot of time to pick the bones.. I think it is Joe Tesh (sp) in Omaha that sells tons of carp every year.. Pretty much standing room only every noon, or at least use to be..(he scores them and bakes them, a procedure I have never mastered) Oh by the way can you say Mrs. Paul's? I can guarantee you that isn't walleye in those patties, and some fish sticks are darn good.
Jack Rabbit,, I would give a weeks wages for a meal of grandma's hausenpferer (sp)
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
Ironically enough, carp were first stocked in this country as a food source. But as someone who was raised on walleye, perch, crappie and bass (yes, that was before everyone went C&R), I just can't bring myself to eat a carp.

Offline mikecc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2008, 12:06:00 AM »
Even with the fancy plate, fancy wine and garnishments it still looked like a slice of crap pie in the picture. Carp are found in the nastiest sewer laden creeks and ponds around here. There's no way I'd eat one. I don't even like to touch them when I mercilessly shoot them. I try to jerk the arrow out of them when there almost to shore(quick release). I've been shooting them a few times a week and I've noticed alot of the regular brown carp and some that look similar but don't have very many scales in this pond by my house are they a different variety of carp?

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2008, 12:30:00 AM »
You forgot the last part of the recipe.After you puree the carp concoction you throw that part in the garbage and stuff the pie with some red and delicious apples,cinnimmon,sugar and honey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©