3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone using tulip poplar shafts?  (Read 784 times)

Online streamguy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Anyone using tulip poplar shafts?
« on: June 23, 2024, 10:07:20 AM »
I have some beautiful,  straight grained tulip poplar boards that I'm considering running through the doweling jig.  Before I start, I thought I'd ask if anyone has experience or thoughts about tulip poplar for shafts.  There's a lot of nice, straight  grained poplar, but I've not seen anyone making arrow shafts from it - maybe there's a reason?

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone using tulip poplar shafts?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2024, 11:06:59 AM »
About 10 years ago several of us travelled down this path together with Poplar.  The bolts were cut from dried boards, then stickered and allowed to complete the drying process.  The shafts once turned had to be compressed by 1/32" in order to give a surface suitable for various finishes. This was done by chucking them in a drill and spinning through a custom made brass die.  Approx 900 were made and they turned out well.  If memory serves, finished arrows w/125 grain points ran around 12gpp.  The downside was that only a very few of the 900 spined above 55#.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2024, 01:01:21 PM »
 A friend(Charlie Jefferson) gave me a few dozen he had made a few years ago. The billets he cut and stickered seasoned for at least 2 years before he used a Veritas dowel maker(tenon cutter). They were excellent shafts and the interesting thing was the sapwood made a better shaft than the heartwood. The heartwood(greenish) was more brittle and the sapwood was almost indestructible. He asked me to try to break them under normal shooting and un-normal shooting conditions.The thing is they must be well seasoned and not just dried boards. If you are willing to wait a few years you will really like poplar(tulip, yellow) shafting. If I remember correctly they weighted just over POC weights.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online streamguy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2024, 05:24:18 PM »
Thanks!  I cut and stickered the boards about 15 years ago, they've been drying/aging in my father's barn.  Appreciate the insight on the sapwood.
If they come in light, that's probably ok.  I can use them for my wife and daughters bows.
I've made some ash shafts for my heavier bows that I've been happy with.  It would be nice to have some lighter spine and lighter mass weight

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2024, 05:34:19 PM »
Matt, that lumber should make great shafting. I don't think I ever broke one of the ones Charlie sent me no matter what I did.  :thumbsup:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2024, 04:13:13 PM »
Years ago ,there was someone selling them. They were barreled tapperd, and a darn nice shaft. forgot the name of them

Offline Squirrel Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2024, 10:14:36 PM »
It was Don Stokes and Dan Quillian.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©