Author Topic: Another little wedge trick  (Read 788 times)

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Another little wedge trick
« on: June 24, 2024, 12:04:47 AM »
Here is another option for getting nice deflection out of your long lean wedges. This particular lay up is a pretty light weight hybrid LB That i used my new bamboo in btw... If you look at the photo here you can see where i've milled two power lams at 12" to nothing and am running stable core between them.... Before mounting these limbs, i cut about 1 1/4' off the limb butts, so the finished wedge length is 10 3/4" in length. .... The cool part about using this method is that you can use the same material that your riser is made from and it matches up nicely.

here are a few photos showing what the result looks like. Very nice deflection in these wedges.

Here are a few more photos of the build i'm working on.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9Je82UHTrGkZpnEF8
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another little wedge trick
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 02:44:14 PM »
Well thats cool low poundage wedge :saywhat: Kirk is your tip wedge going on as an overlay for looks ?

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2024, 11:38:15 PM »
Yup…. Curly maple makes pretty limp tip wedges, but I’ve got two of them going here, and it worked excellent. Putting these external tip wedges, or overlays on the limbs at lay up is the way to go too. Ya just gotta be careful sanding them out with a palm sander. You can mess it up easily. It’s much safer blocking it out.

The thing I’m kind of jazzed about is how much deflection strength I got from this bamboo. I figured it would get a wee bit more, so I dropped my stack height about .010 lower than my log book showed me, and with a wide profile was still 10 pounds heavy. I narrowed it back up to my pattern thickness and still had 5 pounds to play with being .010 thinner on stack.  I may have to run this one thought the chronograph just for fun. I may get some good numbers at 30” draw on this one at 40#….

I wish I had more of this rosewood. This stuff goes with this curly maple very nice.
This is going to be one of those WOW!!! Bows when it finishes out. I can’t wait to see the grain in the grip section when I shape it.    Kirk

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline BO-R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 10:38:28 AM »
Kirk,,  thanks for the tech tips!
very nice bow! :thumbsup:

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 01:11:52 PM »
Looks great, Kirk I’ll look forward to seeing the Finished Bow 
I thought I might’ve recognized that piece of rosewood ?  :thumbsup:

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2024, 03:08:20 PM »
Looks great, Kirk I’ll look forward to seeing the Finished Bow 
I thought I might’ve recognized that piece of rosewood ?  :thumbsup:

That's right.... This is that piece you swapped me for the Walnut riser block. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:   It sure is beautiful wood brother...

Coming down the home stretch on overlays now. Tomorrow i'll have the grip shaped and be shooting it. I like having limb butt overlays cure out a day before stinging them up and shooting em. This one should be worth a second look when finished me thinks....   Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©