3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting the Guava bow "2nd B'day, 2nd hog" ( pics @ story)  (Read 1796 times)

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting the Guava bow "2nd B'day, 2nd hog" ( pics @ story)
« on: February 16, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
We where watching a couple of small pigs feeding in the distance under some mango trees.

I wasn't particurarly interested in shooting one of them, but mangoes where falling and hopefully some bigger hogs would show up.
so I started my approach, hunting conditions where far less than perfect, rare southesterly windswhere blowingat 45 degrees from behind my left shoulder, very short grass and sparse trees gave little cover.
A better approachwould be to circle a bit and come in with the cross wind a bit more in my face,
but this would be a bit to much sideways movement, so putting one tree at  a time between me and the critters I started to slowly cut the distance.
I hear a sound50 yards to my left, and 3 small pigs, witha nice little boar in the leadare exiting the tall grass and are trotting towards the other 2.
I'm frozen in place, quite in the opento let themgo by and join the others.
great now there's 10 eyes and still a long way to go, trying to line up different trees to cover my approach to as many pigs as possible I slowly creep on.
Then suddenly they start feeding in my directionat a farely good pace, as fast as I can I get close to a big mango, now 3 of them are on the other side of the tree, including the little boar, I can't see them and I'm praing they'll round the tree on the left, ....Here comes the litlle boar from the rigth side of the tree, I'm watching the peacock feather attached to my string point directly to where the hog will step next, the nose goes up, a grunt and the little boar is away with the sows in tow, and collecting the remaining 2 they plunge in the tall guiney grass..

I look back at Jerry, about 30 yards back behind a tree and smile,...bummer.

.....Sorry my library time is up ( slow tiper)

will continue as soon as I find a comuter.
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting the Guava bow "2nd B'day, 2nd hog" ( pics @ story)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
hey thats not fair to leave me there like that i was just getting in to it. so you had better go find a comuter quick LOL!!!!  :campfire:    :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
Good to have you back at the keyboard Manny. Keep the hunting tales coming.

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
Thanks Manny,I enjoy your hunting adventures,especially since we haven't seen the plus side of the themometer for a while.

John
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
......than a mango fall from tha next tree, 2 pigs rush out, one grabs the fruit and head back, the other hangs around a bit, than follows.
agood size sow comes out to investigate for a bit than goes back, now I'm excited, i grab a rock head for the next tree and throw it up in the branches to imitate a falling mango,...nothing happens, get to the next tree thow a rock back at the tree behind me,....nothing.

again i look back at jerry, this is fun !!
then all of a sudden lead by the sow all the pigs are out milling about, I resume my stalk, now with 6 hogs to account for, I gain 2 more trees and now the sow is feeding my way, and being a nice girl she comes to my left passing broadside at 15 yards but her movement to errtic for a good shot, than she faces me i freeze and squint, she puts her head down,and rigth back up, I'm still there, this goes on for a few more times than she relaxes and feeds again giving me a good 15 yard shot, bow comes up while drawin, a split secont before release a pig nudges her in the back she flips around to discipline the little one, I'm there at full draw with nothing to shoot, slowly the bow goes back down.
Moments later a 12 yard brodside stares rigth at me, bow comes up, my feet position is far from perfect facing the wrong way, due to the position of the tree the bow is past verticle on a sligth opposite cant.

I post this now because I just whent thru writing the all story just to lose it on the last line, very frustrating.

i'm getting rigth back to writing
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
.....as it always happens to me in hunting shots the arrow is away without the consious effort of the action.

the shot is just about as good as I would ever want,1/3rd ut skimming the shoulder bone.

A constant thing I nociced shooting pigs with a selfbow is that they never run away as fast or as long as they did when shot with a glass bow.

I like that in the recovering prcess.

as she heads towards the tall grass I'm a bit worried about arrow penetration, did I even come to full draw in that position ??

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 11:52:00 PM »
....Immediatly entering the tall grass we hear thrashing sounds and grunts, a real good sign.
I look back and jerry gives me the thumbs up. 20/30 seconds later is all silent, we keep an eye on the hill behind in case she goes, but nothing.

while jerry stays on one side of the grass patch i round it and peack into the tunnels, than climb a mango for a birdseye view, sometimes it's hard to find critters in the tall grass.

An other pig appears on the hill slope, I freeze hoping Jerry gets a chance, but no luck.

on the ground again with my K-BAR I enter the green sea, lot's of blood, I peak into the tunnels before going further, than I see the orizontal stiff legs of a very dead hog.

we drag her out, take some pictures, take care of her and resume hunting, Jerry never got a chance, I wish he did, but what a great afternoon out.
 when I moved to the wood I took this bow out of retirament to be my hunting weapon of choice.

2 years after being crafted and 2 pigs later now it's time for real retirament, I'm even considering putting it up for the ST Judes

My tackle was a guava selfbow, 62# @27", 23/64 cedar arrows with 160gr RIBTEK total weigth 600gr

thanks

Manny

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 01:22:00 AM »
Great story Manny,good looking hog and bow  :thumbsup:  

Good to here from you.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 01:26:00 AM »
Good work, Manny!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 02:06:00 AM »
Great to hear from you manny!!! Good shooting!!!

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 06:48:00 AM »
Cool pics and story Manny. I hope to be able to bid on one of your bows in the St. Judes auction.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
Great story, Manny, and great pics too!

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
Nice to see you posting again Manny!  Great story and pics, but I have one suggestion for you:

if'n you put that sweet bow up for auction could you shave a few pounds off it so I don't wreck my shoulder shooting it after I win it?  :D
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
Ohhh nooo.... Jeremy it's perfect just where it is  ;)  Great story and pics Manny! The family and I are headed your way in a couple months, maybe I can congratulate you in person. I'll send a PM.
Doug
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
Nice pics and story,looks like your having fun!

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
Cool hunt,good to hear from you,I missed the pics of your bows!
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
Congrats.....thanks for the story....enjoyed my 2nd cup of java this AM.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©