3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your Favourite Bow  (Read 5454 times)

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your Favourite Bow
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2024, 05:33:37 PM »
I sure seem to see a LOT of very good references to the MOABs, on here, and elsewhere.  Seems to have quite a rep!

How are you finding the extra length of the Moosejaw, Wud?   Shaping up for your fall hunts? 

The more I shoot my Sentman, the more I appreciate it.   I've been alternating between that, and my 70# HH Big Five this summer, but If I had to keep just one, the Sentman would stay.  Love that bow.

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2024, 05:47:12 PM »
Enjoying shooting the 66" Moosejaw.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2024, 11:16:21 PM »
I have several bows and really like them all. It would be nearly impossible to pick a favorite. But have you ever come across a bow where you said "I wish I would have tried one of these years ago"? The Centaur longbow is  that for me right now. I'm simply amazed with this bow.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2024, 10:13:40 AM »
Maclean, I hear ya, but it's so obvious to me that my 60# MOAB is my favorite and most trustworthy.  If I could only have one bow to survive it would the that one.

I even have a 2nd favorite, the 70# MOAB hands down. However, it would not be my 2nd choice for survival.  That would be the 50# MOAB that has killed nothing. I trust the 60 and 70 so much, that I would give that trust to the 50#er without a 2nd thought.

Morrison Cougar(Interceptor) and Cheyenne(Zip Code),  and Centaur are great friends of mine also, but not my faves of all times.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2024, 02:45:07 PM »
Mine would be my Toelke Pika. Just a sweet shooter and preforms good for me.  I really want to try one of the carbon back centaurs though…. Someday. 

Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline CaseyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2024, 07:05:52 PM »
For me, it's either one of my Thunderhorn 3 piece Longbows. Accurate, dead in the hand, and the quietest bows I've ever shot.

Casey

Thunderhorn 3 piece T/D 60" 48 @ 28
Cari-bow Silver Fox 62" 45 @ 28

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2024, 12:07:18 AM »
Right now, it’s my Tall Tines 58” 47#/52#. I would have never ordered a 58” as I thought they had to be 60” or 62”. I had two or three of them.

But I picked up this one used and quickly found it was the best shooter of the bunch for me.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2024, 12:50:12 AM »
My back-up. No doubt what it is: The iconic Black Widow PSA
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2024, 09:04:12 PM »
Wow! It's been a long time since I've warmed my feet by the campfire. I have had several health issues that made it very inconvenient to pull the bow. I did not hunt for the past three deer seasons. But this year I'm getting back in the game. Still my favorite bow is my NM Shelton at 53#. It is 68 " long and is constructed of yew. It is very beautiful and smooth on the draw. I can think of no characteristics that I would change. The only other bow that is equal to this one is my other Shelton. It has exactly the same specs as the yew bow except that it is green and constructed of bamboo. They handle pretty much the same, and the only significant difference I can tell is that the yew bow draws more smoothly, while the bamboo bow seems to be "snappier". Both are great bows.
Sam

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2024, 09:37:29 PM »
Welcome back Sam! Glad you are back in the game.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online Bluefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2024, 10:17:53 PM »
My favorite bow is a 64" 1pc Asbell Bighorn recurve that is 50# at 27" and I pull it to 30". Too dang bad I can't pull that weight anymore, I guess it's time to sell it.

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2024, 12:27:09 AM »
Wow! It's been a long time since I've warmed my feet by the campfire. I have had several health issues that made it very inconvenient to pull the bow. I did not hunt for the past three deer seasons. But this year I'm getting back in the game. Still my favorite bow is my NM Shelton at 53#. It is 68 " long and is constructed of yew. It is very beautiful and smooth on the draw. I can think of no characteristics that I would change. The only other bow that is equal to this one is my other Shelton. It has exactly the same specs as the yew bow except that it is green and constructed of bamboo. They handle pretty much the same, and the only significant difference I can tell is that the yew bow draws more smoothly, while the bamboo bow seems to be "snappier". Both are great bows.

Welcome back!   

A Northern Mist Shelton around 70 lbs is my next wishlist target... eventually.   I've heard nothing but good, regarding them.   Glad to hear you are a fan :)

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2024, 12:30:28 AM »
My favorite bow is a 64" 1pc Asbell Bighorn recurve that is 50# at 27" and I pull it to 30". Too dang bad I can't pull that weight anymore, I guess it's time to sell it.

I wonder if someone talented could reduce the draw weight for you, a bit?   Not sure what that entails, but it would be nice to be able to hold onto your favorite. 

Might change the character, though :/

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2024, 02:44:05 AM »
In the past 18 or so years, I have owned or test driven lots of different bows, and although I've been very impressed with many of them, I've always preferred the shooting experience I have with my Black Widows (PMA and PLX).  But....

A year ago I found myself quite fortunate in acquiring a 56" Cascade recurve made for me by Steve Gorr in 2023, and then a 52" Cascade magnum (also recently made by Steve).  Something about both of those bows gives me a similar shooting experience to my PMA (grip, draw, hold), except in a considerably shorter package.  I've ended up with 3 sets of limbs for each of the Cascades (light, medium, heavy), and something really agrees me about the way they load up during the draw process.  I've been drawn much more to the 52" magnum, which is shocking since I draw a tad over 30".  I wouldn't bother sharing this, except that these shorter bows have given me some unexpected benefits.  1, my string is not catching on my clothes like it used to.  I've always had trouble with that, and that's tricky for me in Alaska.  2, the "finger pinch" from the string angle of the short bow has forced me to deal with a ring finger problem that I ignored previously, and my release has improved as a result.  3, the magnum feels like I hit a wall right at the point of full draw, so it's easier to stop there, not overdraw, and hold.  4, the obvious benefits of a more compact bow in the woods.  And 5, contrary to even my own logic, I seem to be more consistent and accurate with the 52" magnum than I've been with any other bow previously.  This has been an unexpectedly enjoyable and unique experience.

So I guess the 52" Cascade Golden Hawk Magnum is the favorite now.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2024, 10:52:00 AM by Archie »
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2024, 04:11:17 PM »
Another favorite of mine is my 55# 1980s Bear Kodiak Takedown with illusion factory camo. Which took this nice buck for me last year (2023).
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Online Jegs.mich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2024, 08:00:36 PM »
My favorite recurve is my Bear b-mag.
Favorite longbow is my JT Zeus
Psalms 127:3-5 New International Version (NIV)
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2024, 03:41:39 AM »
Lots of Bear representation here!   That factory Illusion camo looks great... like it would really break up the sillhouette.

LOL, I was paying too much attention to the bow in Kopfjaeger's post, and failed to note the tiger stripes underneath.   Love that pattern... its the best on North Coast BC, bar none. 

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2024, 10:56:26 AM »
[quote  "LOL, I was paying too much attention to the bow in Kopfjaeger's post, and failed to note the tiger stripes underneath.   Love that pattern... its the best on North Coast BC, bar none."
[/quote]

I like my tiger stripe camo BDUs for bowhunting. I bought some Fred Bear camo BDUs for bowhunting this year, it's another pattern I like. I have a wide assortment of camo patterns in bowhunting clothes.
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2024, 01:57:06 PM »
I've been shooting Fox High Sierras since 2009. I've taken a lot of critters. With Ron retiring, they're a little extra special for sure.

"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Users currently browsing this topic:

cacciatore, 4dogs, Archie, Locosgrande, Jegs.mich, Phil Magistro and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©