3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Vanes and flipper rest, Anyone using this combination  (Read 1557 times)

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vanes and flipper rest, Anyone using this combination
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2024, 08:33:46 PM »
No vanes here, but I used to shoot off the shelf, and arrow flight was lousy... porpoising that wouldn't go away.  Someone well-known in the bowyering world asked me if I had a callous on my string-hand 4th finger.  When I told them I did, they told me that was indicative of a high elbow, and therefore causing downward movement on the shaft at release, resulting in excessive contact at the bow shelf.  They suggested to try shooting with a rest, so I did... and my arrows flew like darts immediately.  I've been using a rest exclusively since at least 2007, and have never had one fall off or get damaged.  It is odd to me that so many poo-poo them. 
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vanes and flipper rest, Anyone using this combination
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2024, 11:20:17 PM »
I’ve been shooting long bows almost exclusively this summer.  But as I looked at my bows today, I came to the conclusion that I wanted them set up as close to the same as possible. To me that meant ditching the Bear Weatherest so I could get the arrow as close to my bow hand as possible.(just like my  longbows).

So I ripped that sucker off, stuck a couple of pieces of Velcro on, reset my nock point and off to my little  private range I went. I could not believe how well my  David Lawson made arrows flew out of my Tall Tines recurve. I am very protective of the few Wliderness Custom arrows that I have left. David made some beautiful arrows for me.

So I’m back in the fold.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©