Author Topic: Band Saw Blade Welding  (Read 971 times)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Band Saw Blade Welding
« on: July 10, 2024, 07:44:57 PM »
Anyone have a source for getting band saw blades re-welded?  My pricey carbide blade separated right at the original weld joint. They sent me a replacement free of charge, but I figured I'd have another nice blade if I could get the broken one repaired.  I'm guessing I could send it back to them and they would probably repair it,  but shipping both ways to California and back is going to add up.
Somewhere in Central Illinois or western Indiana would be ideal for me, but I'm open to all suggestions.  Thanks!
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Band Saw Blade Welding
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 08:20:39 PM »
Google bandsaw blade welding. Maybe something local will pop up.
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 08:35:39 PM »
Anyone have a source for getting band saw blades re-welded?  My pricey carbide blade separated right at the original weld joint. They sent me a replacement free of charge, but I figured I'd have another nice blade if I could get the broken one repaired.  I'm guessing I could send it back to them and they would probably repair it,  but shipping both ways to California and back is going to add up.
Somewhere in Central Illinois or western Indiana would be ideal for me, but I'm open to all suggestions.  Thanks!

For cheap shipping rates try pirateship.com. You might be surprised. It’s well worth getting them repaired. I’ve had welded ones last for years cutting g-10.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 08:37:27 PM »
Kirk - where did you send your blades for repair.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2024, 10:08:14 PM »
It can be tig welded.  :)
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024, 12:44:44 AM »
Kirk - where did you send your blades for repair.

I was fortunate to have a saw shop locally in Portland that has welded mine. I would have to look up the name of the shop. I just don’t have it in my head at the moment. But I could do that for you if you like.  Let me know… I’d check out saw sharpening services that do band saw blades. Most of them do their own welding. You may find something closer.    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2024, 08:32:59 AM »
Thanks Kirk.
I've Googled every which way I can think of to find something local - no luck. I'm sure there is a machine or welding shop around this area that does it, but don't advertise about it - there would certainly be some place up by Chicago, but that is a 3+ hour drive. I'll keep asking people in that line of work, someone will point me in the right direction. 

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2024, 09:24:22 AM »
Maybe ask at a welding supply vendor, if you can find one at a reasonable distance?

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2024, 10:51:27 AM »
I would be careful just going to a welding shop… I think I’d find a place that sharpens and builds bandsaw blades. Look under saw blade sharpening outfits, and call them to see if they will take a mail in order.

My drive into Portland is about 35 minutes one way, and there used to be several shops around town. But…. I think the world has changed a lot in terms of being a throw away society vs fix and repair in many ways. Amazon an$ free shipping has killed a lot of smaller businesses alone. The smaller Saw blades are cheaper to replace and buy new than having them sharpened. Especially the carbide tipped blades which is all I use.      Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2024, 05:35:52 PM »
Burnise,   Spokane Power Tool.
They make and weld blades.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2024, 07:09:45 PM »
Another thing i use when looking for local stuff is Google maps search engine, rather than the main browser.   just a thought...
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Horsey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2024, 07:11:33 AM »
I don't know the width of your blade or the size of your bandsaw, but it is  important to remember that the material thickness is different on different widths of Lennox Tri-master blades.  For some reason, the 3/8" blades are thicker than 1/2" blades.  I found that for my 14" saw the 3/8" blade could not handle the stress of the small diameter wheel.  I discovered this after breaking and re-welding a number of expensive blades.  Since switching to 1/2" blades about 15 years ago, I have not broken a blade.  I can cut out up to about 100 bows per blade.
--Mike Dunnaway

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2024, 08:58:19 AM »
I don't know the width of your blade or the size of your bandsaw, but it is  important to remember that the material thickness is different on different widths of Lennox Tri-master blades.  For some reason, the 3/8" blades are thicker than 1/2" blades.  I found that for my 14" saw the 3/8" blade could not handle the stress of the small diameter wheel.  I discovered this after breaking and re-welding a number of expensive blades.  Since switching to 1/2" blades about 15 years ago, I have not broken a blade.  I can cut out up to about 100 bows per blade.
--Mike Dunnaway

You can get different thickness blades.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2024, 11:22:55 AM »
Correct tension on different blade widths
High on Archery.

Online avcase

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2024, 02:13:29 PM »
I bevel the edges of the break so that I get some overlap, then silver braze the blade together. It doesn’t require more than a propane torch and it never breaks in this same spot again.

Alan

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2024, 05:09:03 PM »
I bevel the edges of the break so that I get some overlap, then silver braze the blade together. It doesn’t require more than a propane torch and it never breaks in this same spot again.

Alan

Hey Alan ,   How have ya been? Are you still doing the flight archery thing?
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online avcase

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2024, 05:56:11 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kirk,
Yes, I am!  I’m working hard to get ready for our upcoming competitions starting at the end of August. I keep finding ways to improve the efficiency of the bows but this is offset just as fast by getting old and dealing with injuries. Oof.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2024, 09:28:00 PM »

[/quote]

Kirk,
Yes, I am!  I’m working hard to get ready for our upcoming competitions starting at the end of August. I keep finding ways to improve the efficiency of the bows but this is offset just as fast by getting old and dealing with injuries. Oof.
[/quote]

Excellent!   Yup … this getting older crap isn’t for sissies… the key to success is staying busy and keep limber… I’ll bet your girls are getting all grown up by now….  Good to hear from you.    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2024, 10:26:56 AM »
I ended up getting it done by a local welding shop by a guy who specializes in welding marine related items.  Does a lot of work repairing props and skegs on marine motors.  He is also an instructor at the local Community College. He was confident he could make good repair.  He said he ended up beveling both ends to make a slight overlap and then silver brazed it.  Looks like new - I have not had a chance to get it tuned up on my band saw yet - kind of anxious to see how it performs. The best part was he only charged me $35 bucks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©