3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting kiddos started  (Read 611 times)

Offline HoosierBricky

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting kiddos started
« on: July 11, 2024, 10:54:26 AM »
Good morning everyone. I hope everyone is doing well. I have some questions regarding at what age to get my daughter started/ introduced to archery.  She’s currently 2 1/2 so I know I might have a little while yet, but she already loves watching her papa shoot and wants to follow me when I leave the house, bow in hand.  Also, any recommendations for equipment, games, etc. to make it fun for her when she’s ready. Thanks, Eddie

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting kiddos started
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2024, 11:32:32 AM »
Both my daughters started around the age you are referring to. We’d shoot super close and make a big deal about it. We’d over inflate balloons put them on the target almost side by side after a bit. Remember if the bow is super low poundage the arrow might not break a ballon and cause it to bounce back that’s why over inflation is important. If you wanna check dominant eye, have them keep both eyes open n look through cd hole at door knob or something. They’ll look through w dominant eye most times.
Any low poundage recurve would work. Think the girls was 15-20 lbs. at their draw length it was nothing.  I don’t recall who made it
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 04:16:29 PM »
Pretty much was Bowguy said, keep it close, and keep it fun.  Make up some games to play shooting at targets. Tic tac toe is a good one if you have a bigger target to shoot at. Both my daughters started out shooting a little red fiberglass bear bow, with a piece of binder twine from a hay bale for a string. I made them arrows out of old broken shafts of mine, and as they grew older, I upgraded them in bows and arrows.  I took them with me as much as I could and as they wanted to go.  My youngest was 3 when I came home with a double ladder stand for us to sit in, it was 15' to the platform, and she climbed it fearlessly.  I was always right behind her in case she slipped, and got her all strapped in with her harness once we were up.  My oldest didn't like and still doesn't like heights, so we would sit in tents.  Also, be ready to leave when they are, even if it's just getting to prime time.  I always tried to keep it fun for them as much as I could, and they still both love to hunt and shoot bows when they have time.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2024, 10:00:17 AM »
I've only been to one big shoot, Cloverdale 2003 3 months after starting Tradgang.  There was a guy there named Bill Wooster and he had some novelty kid shots. You might do a search on the search engine of your choice to get some ideas.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 06:35:53 AM »
Keep is simple and keep it fun is the key. cover a target with lots of balloons is always great idea makes it easy for them. The Michigan Longbow Assoc. does this and that is what we did when our grand kids were 2 1/2 when we started them.
You worked to hard and paid a lot of money for that new bow. Why would you trust protecting it to anything less than Thunderbird Epoxy!!!     
      www.tbirdarchery.com
      www.stjoeriverbows.com
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2024, 07:16:37 AM »
Something real neat regarding the balloons and something I do at times to change the scenery of sorts and to keeps kids interested,,,
 is put some powder, chalk line powder, whatever in a pill bottle. I put uniflated balloon on it. Tap some powder into balloon. Pull balloon off pill bottle than blow up. You won’t need lots powder.  When they hit it, ballon sorta blows powder all over looks like a big puff. They seem to get a kick out of it. Just an idea that’s fun
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline HoosierBricky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2024, 09:10:54 AM »
Thank you all for all the great ideas and suggestions.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2024, 11:02:47 AM »
Elk Ridge Archery Pilgrim Squirt was my son's first bow at about 4 to 6.   We have kept that one.  Got a dozen arrows and quiver as well.

Elk Ridge has a trade up program.

Also St. Joe River bows for when they grow out of the Pilgrim Squirt is a good choice as well.

Rhino bows if you can find used ones.  Had one of those for a while too.  No longer being made.

Maddog also made some youth bows.  Also not being made.

Samick had some kid takedowns that with the riser one might be able to get stronger/longer limbs as time goes on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©