3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Day Packs  (Read 2209 times)

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Day Packs
« on: July 14, 2024, 07:42:20 AM »
I’m in the market for a new day pack, there are so many options that it’s confusing. I’m leaning towards the KIUI in either a 1500 or 1800 CI. Will be used for day hunts for whitetail and hogs. I’m open to other suggestions. So what’s your favorite day pack? And why do you like it?
Thanks
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Day Packs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2024, 09:22:30 AM »
I believe the Kifaru day pack sizes require a frame which gets pricey. I’ve got some Badlands items I really like and the quality is great. They also have lifetime warranty on their items. Check out some of their day packs

Offline Smguinnip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2024, 09:55:37 AM »
I have the divide 1500, it works well but I kinda wished that I had gotten the venture 1800 for a little more room. Kuiu is running a sale on both until tomorrow. The pockets and compartments seem to be well thought out.
caught between:If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it and can’t leave well enough alone.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2024, 11:02:31 AM »
If you are looking for a day pack and you don’t have to carry your whole home with you I would take in consideration a Day One backpack because it’s dead silent and made of camo pile that doesn’t shine. Plenty of external and internal pockets.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 11:56:50 AM »

Eberlestock X2
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2024, 01:15:37 PM »
Hey Mike, I would suggest going with the 1800 at the minimum if you want a “most of the season pack”.  I have an older 1400 Sitka that I really like for early season—it’s lite, quiet, and perfect for Sept/Oct.  But once late season gets here there really isn’t enough room for water, extra layers, food, etc without strapping the layers to the outside of the 1400.  If you find the perfect do it all pack let me know!

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2024, 02:13:01 PM »
Looks like Day one is sold out on all 3 colors.

Check out Bison Gear.  Here is a resent thread on them....

https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=183781.0

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2024, 05:00:33 PM »
My recommendation is Bison Gear, they are silent, durable, well thought out, and made in the USA.  I used my last one for 18 years, it is still going strong and will be with me while elk hunting this fall.Picked up another one in a larger size this past March to use for late season whitetails when additional clothing is needed.

Kifaru makes day packs in several sizes and options that do not require a frame, some models that come with a built in frame, and numerous models that need their external frame.  The external frame models are what I use for packing heavy loads, including camp, Moose, deer, and elk.  Downside for a day pack is they are too noisy, though I use them when moose hunting due to weight/gear restrictions on my bush flights.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bullchaser1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2024, 05:20:00 PM »
Bison gear are great packs. I use mine (lost river I believe) for whitetail, hogs and as a day pack for elk if I’m hunting close to camp. Hard to beat
60” Widow PsaIII 63#
58” Widow PchX  62#

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2024, 07:23:44 AM »
Bison Gear for me,nothing else.Think mine is Lost River
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2024, 10:47:07 AM »
I use a Badlands Diablo I have three times packed out boned out or just quartered mule deer , a whole deer in one trip and half on the others , a whole deer was to much for me they were all large bucks .
  I recently bought my grandson a Badlands pack I got off from Ebay for his birthday . they are great packs and well made  with steel stays to keep them more ridged and three main pockets .

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2024, 12:12:26 PM »
Like Tim, Badlands Diablo

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2024, 03:09:19 PM »
Day hunts for whitetails and hogs if I carry a daypack it is my Kathy Kelly deluxe (has side pockets) pack. I bought this for Moose fly in trips in AK because it is 1. Silent and 2. Lightweight. When I pack meat I use a frame pack. This would be similar size to the ones you mention. If you need a 4500 CI pack for a day hunt….then you and I have a different definition of “day hunt”.  :biglaugh:

Kathy been making packs a long time. She sells them on the Bay now, “House of whispering pines” store or something like that.

The bison gear are great, and quiet, just too heavy for what I needed a daypack for the most (the weight limited fly ins).  I have been around too many noisy “modern type” packs to believe anyone they are quiet till I get my hands on one.

R

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2024, 04:35:19 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I’ve looked into all of the ones mentioned. I’m now leaning toward the Badlands line they have a new ATX line with a 1600 ci that looks good. Although With KIUI’s sale right now they are tempting. I really tend to overthink these things.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2024, 08:02:45 PM »
Last year I bought a Mystery Ranch bag and was very impressed with the quality of the bag. I got the Metcalf, which is probably a bit bigger than what you're looking for, but they also make lots of other models, including some smaller daypacks.

I don't know if you've ever heard of the website Camofire, but they have some pretty good deals on Mystery Ranch equipment fairly often. They've got some bags on sale right now if you're interested.

Offline OldSoulMW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2024, 12:02:12 PM »
Hill People Gear Connor V2 pack has become my go to pack for just about everything. Have a kifaru frame and stryker xl I used for a year of hauling stands and ruck training, but it is just too much pack for my hunting style. The HPG pack carries weight just as good if not better without a waist belt due to an internal frame sheet, doesn't stick up over your shoulders like some frame packs, and has the best pocket layout (for me) of any pack I've tried.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2024, 02:44:06 PM »
I use the Bison Gear Elk Hunter for day pack while hunting Moose, elk, deer, bear, and turkey. Very quiet and roomy. I carry camera gear and tri-pods so this works great for me. Mike

Offline Bobby Sikes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2024, 09:35:11 AM »
I use the Bison Gear Elk Hunter for day pack while hunting Moose, elk, deer, bear, and turkey. Very quiet and roomy. I carry camera gear and tri-pods so this works great for me. Mike

Thanks, are you able to post a pic or two of the Elk Hunter?

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2024, 10:37:06 AM »
Currently using a Kifaru Hellcat with belt and various add on pouches depending up on need.

For 20 + years I ran a Pack Idaho which is now Bison Gear.

Had Bison Gear been back in production when I was looking I would have gone with a new one.

Too invested in the Hellcat now to look back. 

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2024, 10:41:19 PM »
For short one to two hunts I'll have my Bison Gear Lost River or Badlands Diablo.  Looking into the Lemhi or Elk country(?)
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 12:58:07 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"