3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow questions  (Read 453 times)

Online stickman 31

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Arrow questions
« on: July 15, 2024, 10:50:44 AM »
I have a Rodney wright firehawk that is 57@28
However my draw length is only 25inches. My question is should I leave my arrows long or cut down to 26inchs? Also looking for opinions on arrow spine
Right now I have easton legacys 500 and 600s with
100 grain inserts.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Arrow questions
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2024, 07:22:39 PM »
You're probably drawing about 50# at your draw length.  Personally, I like my arrows about an inch longer than my draw length, and i tune with point weight.  But some folks like their arrows longer and tune by shortening the arrow in small increments.  If you like shorter arrows, cut one 600 to 26 inches and see how it goes.  With a hundred grain insert and a point and adaptor of another 150 grains or so, you should be in the ballpark.  The 500s may be too stiff at that length.  But they might work at a longer length.

Maybe others will chime in with some combos that work for them.  Otherwise, you're just going to have to do a lot of experimenting.  Good luck. 

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow questions
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2024, 10:16:07 PM »
In my experience, arrows fly better and tune better when the length is 29” or longer.  But that could just be me.

In your case, that means you would have a 4” overhang.  Some people don't like that.

What I recommend is making up two different arrows: one would be a .500 spine cut to 29”, and the other would be a .600 spine cut to 26”.  Experiment or bare shaft tune until you can decide on the correct point weight for each arrow (or bare shaft).  Then shoot both of them enough times until you decide which one you like best.

You may have to do a little trimming to tune either arrow to your selected points.  There's plenty of room for you to trim a 29” arrow, but you might want to start the 26” arrow out at 26 1/2”, because you won't have much room to trim it if you start at 26”.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 10:23:57 PM by McDave »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©