3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Supercurve Arrow Spine & Tuning Challenges  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Haydenj7

• Trad Bowhunter
Supercurve Arrow Spine & Tuning Challenges
« on: July 15, 2024, 10:50:22 PM »
I have taken delivery of a Centaur Super Curve 58in 59lbs @29inch draw, its a great bow but I have had some real trouble tuning it. Seems like I am getting a lot of tail wag and erratic flight.
I have tried 300 spine nearly full length with 375gr up front….this is 710gr and flying around 170fps.
I have also tried to go shorter with a cut down 300 spine to around 29inches with 200gr up front.
I have also tried 350spine cut down with 200gr up front.

I also have a Big Jim Thunderchild 67lbs @29inches that I shoot 600gr arrows from and they are a 300 spine around 29 inches. Arrow flight is great. I really would have thought that I could shoot a very similar arrow out of my Supercurve that is 8lbs lighter. But I can’t get good flight.

I am really keen to hear from anyone who has a super recurve with similar specs and what arrow setup they are using.
Best guess on spine and length? I would really like to be shooting 10-12gr per pound.

thanks
Chillin Downunder

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Supercurve Arrow Spine & Tuning Challenges
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2024, 11:30:20 PM »
What is your draw length and have you tried 400s?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Haydenj7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2024, 11:39:53 PM »
DL is 29inches, I use a clicker to tune also to ensure consistency on DL.
400 is way weak. I shoot 400 out of my 56lb thunder hold and this super curve has heeps more grunt. I think it also puts out more force than my 67 Thunderchild that I shoot 300s from. It is certainly quicker through the chronograph with the same arrows.
Chillin Downunder

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 07:11:19 AM »
    I re-read your original post, and I did not see 400s mentioned.  Have you tried them?

Never mind, I see you are shooting 200 more grains in head weight than me so I have no clue.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024, 01:40:17 PM »
I'm just curious, I've never heard of anyone using that much weight and I'm trying to figure out what and why that weight is needed. Thanks.  :campfire:
Get bamboo.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2024, 06:36:49 PM »
Tail-wag could be a number of issues.  Bad release, bad grip, or tune.  A common cause is shaft impacting the window.  Until you try bare shafts (with wraps of tape in fletching area to compensate for fletching weight), we won't know.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Haydenj7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2024, 07:23:47 PM »
My bareshafts all have tape to match fletch weight.
Everything has been bareshafted.
Based on alot of spine charts 300 is in the ballpark.
Chillin Downunder

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2024, 11:23:06 PM »
I am thinking you would need something around 80 pound spine with our 29 inch draw and 30 inch arrow.Considering the high performance limb,high performance string and being cut to center.I might be more flexible on point weight.Going from 150 grains heads up to heavyweights to tune and find the sweet spot.I had points from 125 up to 300 just for tuning purposes.

I had a 58 inch centaur Centaur super curve  and a few tripple carbon longbows.The super curve required more spine.

Offline Haydenj7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2024, 12:01:25 AM »
Thanks for the input....what is 80lb spine? do you mean something more like 250?
Chillin Downunder

Online Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2024, 01:26:45 AM »
Are you running any string silencers? If so try moving them both in from the limb tips ( closer to the arrow..this will slow the string..and if you see less wag...you should see improved arrow flight moving to a stiffer spine than what you are shooting now. If you aren't running silencers right now..add si!encers and see if the slower string improves on the tail wag..and then you know that you are too weak and need more spine. My 30" draw..using 32-1\2  shafts pushing 170gr up front requires 350 spine...from a 40# marked bow..that I draw 2" further than the rated length for poundage..also changes the power stroke by a bunch... So I wouldn't be at all surprised in your situation if you really need to stiffen up..
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 01:31:50 AM by Michpatriot »

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2024, 07:32:25 AM »
A heavy spine requires a heavy tip and this causes more arrow jump upon release.
At 170 fps you should be able to see arrow flight quite easily.  So, what are the bare shafts doing?  Is it consistent?
FWIW, not all bows listed as "Super curve" have similar performance.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2024, 08:58:27 AM »
I'm just curious, I've never heard of anyone using that much weight and I'm trying to figure out what and why that weight is needed. Thanks.  :campfire:

This was a legit question as I'm trying to learn something here just like you.  That's what this place is for.   :campfire:
Get bamboo.

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2024, 09:16:01 AM »
Brace height? I have seen people shooting bows with to low a brace height causing that same result.

Online Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2024, 10:32:24 AM »
As mentioned above..bareshaft is the doctor for most problems..

Offline Russell Southerland

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2024, 03:14:15 PM »
375 grains.  :scared:

You have piqued my interest as well.  :archer:

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2024, 09:43:01 AM »
I don't shoot a super recurve, but my shooting partner does.  Two things I know from that.  One is that he shoots a very heavy spine for the poundage, and two, the brace height is lower than on any other recurve I've ever seen.  Because of the low brace height, I don't think there's room for much error in spine selection or you will get the arrow slapping off the side plate, causing the tail wag.

Given that your in the ballpark, a 300 spine is about 106# and a 350 about 90# according to the Easton charts, I think you'll just need to refine point weight and/or arrow length until you find the combination that works. Also, check the brace height to make sure it's not too low, and maybe even raise it some even if it isn't.  God luck. 

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2024, 06:30:46 PM »
I don't shoot a super recurve, but my shooting partner does.  Two things I know from that.  One is that he shoots a very heavy spine for the poundage, and two, the brace height is lower than on any other recurve I've ever seen.  Because of the low brace height, I don't think there's room for much error in spine selection or you will get the arrow slapping off the side plate, causing the tail wag.

Given that your in the ballpark, a 300 spine is about 106# and a 350 about 90# according to the Easton charts, I think you'll just need to refine point weight and/or arrow length until you find the combination that works. Also, check the brace height to make sure it's not too low, and maybe even raise it some even if it isn't.  Good luck.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2024, 09:15:31 AM »
I thought I would stop back by to see if there has been a remedy for.  I have some arrows I was given as test arrows on out TX hunts and I would send you to try if you like as I have 4 of 400s from 2 different manufacturers.  I also have 4 of each 500 and 600 as well.  All are 30" BOP.  I might even have a 3rd manufacture, I can check and see.  I also might have some 300s, I'll have to check and see.

I'll be glad to send them to you for the cost of shipping, and then you send them to the ranch in TX when you're done.  Just let me know.

What brand arrows are you shooting now?

Thx

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2024, 09:53:14 AM »
 :campfire:

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2024, 12:50:21 PM »
I would try a 300 cut at 30” with 250 point.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©