INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Try Stick  (Read 848 times)

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Try Stick
« on: July 18, 2024, 11:35:53 AM »
Having knowledge when a field is critical as we all know, there are some skill sets that can make life easier and/or at times save your life.  One such skill set is the correct way to utilize a cutting object.  Everyone who knows me, knows I preach never go into anywhere without a sharp blade.  Last weekend, I was blessed with time with one of my grandsons, visiting.  I came outside to check on him and he was sitting there just widdling on a stick.  I then sat down grabbed an another stick and we sat and taught him the try stick.  Just yesterday, he visited again and showed me a great try stick he had done, been practicing all week.  This hit me, that there may be many who do not know the value of it.

For those that do not know what a try stick is, it is a series of cuts that are practiced on a stick.  These cuts/notches are what is used most when in the woods.  I first learned about it by Moris Kochanski's book Bushcraft.  What I found is not only does it keep your skill set sharp, but also is a good measure of the ability of the blade you are going to carry with you as well.  Get the book or look it up on internet.

You will notice that it looks rather simple and is.  But, what else you will see when you do it, is how well you can be challenged by the knife you carry, with some of the notches.  This again is a good tell, if you are somewhere and need to make those, how and understand the skillset. 

I have also found on the days with nothing going on, that grabbing a stick like at camp, can help keep you sharp, pass the time in a productive way, and like most skills the more you do the more proficient you become.  Give it a go, never know when you may need to use these valuable skill sets.  Been few times camping or around home, that these little cuts made a difference.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Try Stick
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2024, 05:26:23 PM »
Nice.  :thumbsup:
This reminds me of when I was a youngster; my dad said we were going to become Amish.
I ask what do Amish do?
He said " they whittle."
I then said "I don't know how to whittle. I don't even know how to learn how to whittle. "
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©