Author Topic: tillering question  (Read 463 times)

Offline ptberger

• Trad Bowhunter
tillering question
« on: July 20, 2024, 12:39:01 PM »
For the several bows I've made, I put the tillering stick on the centerline of the bow and tiller the top and bottom limbs to curve equally. I cut the shelf an inch above the centerline. Is this any reason to tiller the limbs differently?

I've read that bows designed for three-under are tillered differently than split (can't believe 99% of archers would notice this)? I've also seen it stated that if you shoot a fixed crawl the bow should be tillered with the lower limb slightly stronger.

Is different tiller of the limbs something I will actually notice as an average archer?

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: tillering question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2024, 01:10:23 PM »
When I set up my bows I make the center of the handle the center of the bow and make the arrow pass 1.25" above center. I also tiller so both limbs to bend evenly until the last few inches of draw then make sure the bottom limb slightly stronger.
 I don't use  a 3 under or a fixed crawl so I don't know how to tiller for either.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2024, 01:22:30 PM »
3 under even.split 1/8 stronger bottom. Get them built either or. But whatever it is moving nocking will cure it. And yeah most can't tell the difference.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 03:22:53 PM by Crooked Stic »
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2024, 02:49:54 PM »
Measuring the tiller, or a tiller measurement from the string to the fades top and bottom can be plus or minus an 1/8" without a noticeable difference if the limbs are balanced out correctly and bending the same....

Balancing out the limbs is what "Tillering" really is. its seldom adjusted with glass limbs and is typically done with tapers and wedges in the lay up. But it can be fine tuned.   its a different procedure with glass and carbon backed bows than self bows fine tuning the balance. ones that are out of balance produce a buzz, and have more noticable hand shock.

You have the right idea ptberger....
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©