Author Topic: Self Bow Tips - Before or after Tiller?  (Read 504 times)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Self Bow Tips - Before or after Tiller?
« on: July 22, 2024, 03:49:00 PM »
I've done pin nocks, self nocks, various horn overlays, hardwood and G10 overlays...etc.
I always pretty much complete my tips before I tiller, I like having a finished nock when stringing and unstring the bow during the tillering process.  Others say, wait until the end when you are almost finished with the bow, so if the bow breaks you haven't wasted all that time on the nocks for nothing.  Point taken, but I actually enjoy shaping and forming the nocks and have got to the point where it doesn't take all the long. Plus, I find it trickier to glue on any tip overlay material over top of temporary nock grooves and then shaping the nocks/tips afterwards.  Couple questions:
- What is your preferred method - complete limb tips before or after tiller?
- Any tricks to putting overlays on when the grooves are already filed.
- Has anyone ever came up with a tillering string that has like leather cups on the ends that could be slipped over the tips, and skip filing the string grooves entirely until the bow is completely tillered?  - Thinking out loud.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Self Bow Tips - Before or after Tiller?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2024, 08:57:14 AM »
When I'm building a selfbow I draw it out on a full width stave, cut out the side and back profile. Then work it toward floor tiller stage. For nocks I make temporary nocks by using a chain saw file and file grooves straight down back to belly. I make them at least as deep as the string is thick. You can tiller a bow without finishing the tips or handle area as long as the fades advance with the limbs. I will sometimes reduce the tips to 1" to 3/4" wide. I leave the tips and handle area wide until first low brace so I can see how the string tracks under stress. By leaving the handle and tips wide and if the string tracking is off center I can adjust that by removing wood from one side or the other of the handle and tips. Once I'm at low brace and have adjusted the string tracking I then reduce the tips to almost the ultimate  width. I like to keep the handle wide so I can clamp the bow securely without damaging the wood at the handle. Even in my bendy handle bows I wait until the end of the tillering process then shape the handle area and tiller the bend back into the handle so I can just feel the handle give a bit as I hit full draw.
 In most cases and with most bow woods tip overlays are mostly cosmetic, not necessary. Even with softer woods like yew or ERC overlays are not necessary.
 You can use a bow stringer with leather tips as a tillering string as long as it it strong enough and will safely and securely hold the tips while tillering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2024, 09:04:01 PM »
I wait to put the tip overlays on until perfectly tillered to 23-24” at the desired weight.  This is when everything on my bows gets it final shape, heat adjustments, or the tips get recurved.  Getting everything the way I want it to look at this stage allows for adjustments and corrections in the tiller without missing weight.  I seldom miss making weight on a selfbow (Heck, I miss weight on more of my glass bows than my selfbows.). 
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Mo_coon-catcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024, 09:03:13 AM »
I run a tillering string just like you asked. I had it at major last week and the people that used it really like it. Start with an extra long sting with a loop on each end. Add a metal ring in the middle for easy adjustments of length. And the cups are sewn with a channel on one end to feel a dynema loop through. The fold the leather to make a cup where the dynema cord is about 3/4-1” from the end so the placement will be close to nock distance. I attach it to the long string with the dynema cord in a soft shaft way. I’ll take pictures when I get home from work tonight. The heaviest bow I’ve used it on so far is 100# with no issues.

Then I don’t have to cut nocks or align until the last few inches of tiller. But the easiest way to recut grooves after using temporary grooves is to cut them the same way you intend to in the end. I do it all the time. There’s usually some remnant of the temporary nocks after I apply overlays and finish shaping the tips, and I use those as a guide for where to cut the final nocks.

Kyle

Online Mo_coon-catcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2024, 03:06:28 PM »
I realized my tiller string was still in the truck from Mojam. I need to replace the main string soon but it’s still holding. But here’s better pictures of the cups.

Kyle

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2024, 03:25:11 PM »
Thanks Kyle!
That is exactly what I was thinking of.
How do you utilize the ring for shortening and lenghtening.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Mo_coon-catcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2024, 04:01:46 PM »
Not a problem. All you have to do is wrap the string around the ring to shorten the string and unwind to lengthen. You want to make sure the ring is off to the side since you want to hook onto the string itself not the ring when pulling on the tiller tree.

Kyle

Online dbeaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:05:12 PM »
Kyle i stole your idea but i did mine with a locking carabiner i had lying around from climbing.  works pretty well. i never noticed your leather pockets though, time to bite off ya one more time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Mo_coon-catcher and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©