3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BOW STRINGER HASSLE  (Read 1132 times)

Offline TOMANZ

• Trad Bowhunter
BOW STRINGER HASSLE
« on: July 25, 2024, 10:58:04 AM »
I am having an extremely hard time using a bowstringer for my trad bows. Growing up, I always used step-through method. Bought a double pouch stringer back in the 80s that worked well. With the modern stringer, it's impossible for me to reach limb tip. I have knotted it numerous times to shorten, but it seems to make little difference. I'm 5' 8" tall and my bows range from 52" - 60" in length, 40# - 55#. Thanks.

Online Zeebob

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: BOW STRINGER HASSLE
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2024, 11:32:52 AM »
I’m the same size as you..I knot my stringer and I stand with my feet spread way apart when I stand on the stringer…works for me on bows up to 64”.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2024, 11:33:41 AM »
What type/brand of stringer are you using? Not sure how you are using the stringer, but if you use both feet evenly spaced (about even with the fade outs) that will lessen the distance that you have to lift/pull the bow up to string it. The Black Widow stringer is made by Neet Archery Products and works well for me on all of my bows.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024, 12:38:40 PM »
Spreading feet on stringer to about shoulder width does well.  Especially, for my heavier bows.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 12:44:36 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2024, 02:14:39 PM »
Gave up long ago on single pouch type stringers.  Double pouch are still available.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2024, 08:19:10 PM »
When you stand on your stringer do you use one foot or two.

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2024, 09:02:13 PM »
Two about shoulder width apart.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline TOMANZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2024, 10:31:53 PM »
Gave up long ago on single pouch type stringers.  Double pouch are still available.

Yeah, I think I'm going to find one. I've tried every way with the rubber limb stopper and it's too difficult. Thanks.

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2024, 03:52:59 AM »
If you spread your feet wider, far beyond shoulder width if you have to, and slide your stopper out to the point where it is pulling your string gently taut, it becomes easier.  This lowers your bow, and brings your more powerful muscles into play.  Otherwise, you end up having to pull with shoulders/traps/arm.  This makes it a bitch to use the other arm to set the string.

Crouching down, with feet wide, and knees bent, lets you use the power of your hips, legs, and back to bend the stave, rather than having to pull up with your arm.  If you SLOWLY use the power of your torso, it becomes a much more controllable thing. 

Then you can concentrate on just gripping the handle, and gently sliding the string outward with your other hand, until it hits the groove.   I find the sweet spot on each bow is different, and I have to crouch/spread more, the higher the poundage.

These days, I mainly use the old Step-through, but doing this with a one pocket stringer, I can string up to my 82# 70" Grevy, with no real issues, just a bit of care. 

Just carefully place that stopper, keeping a little pressure so it doesn't move, then slowly straighten your core and legs so it remains always under control.

Oh, wear shoes or boots with a solid sole, too.  That also helps a little!

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2024, 10:02:37 PM »
THIS^^^^^^

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2024, 12:24:24 AM »

Yeah, I think I'm going to find one. I've tried every way with the rubber limb stopper and it's too difficult. Thanks.

I wouldn’t give up on the stringer with one deep pouch, and the rubber block on the other end. These are probably the safest stringers made. Tip to tip stringers with two small pouches can easily go sideways on you on recurve limbs and end up ruining a perfectly good set of limbs. More bows are ruined stringing them than any other cause.

I Would read through Even’s post above again, and start changing your feet location to give you more leverage. Learn to use it and it will serve you well.    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2024, 07:15:28 AM »
Border Archery sells the best one that I have ever found.  Nylon strap, single pouch, with a loop that slides over the upper limb.  While not expensive individually, the shipping from Scotland is a bit heavy.  I buy them a few at a time because I end up being asked about them when guys see mine in use. 
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2024, 09:28:03 AM »
Limbs are coming out with smaller and smaller limb tips. It used to be that the Black Widow stringer worked for all the bows I had. Now I have some where the Black Widow cup completely covers the front limb tip, making it impossible to string or unstring the bow. For those I have to use a stringer with a friction cup or band, like the one demonstrated above.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2024, 10:52:19 AM »
Exactly what Kirkll said.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2024, 11:39:09 AM »
the selway stringer is my favorite,  spread your leg wider and tie knots in the string if you are not getting enough leverage to pull the tips down enough to slide the top string loop up into the groves .
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2024, 11:09:27 PM »
My favorite stringer is the Webster

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2024, 05:29:06 AM »
I’m not even sure how to answer this. I’m a little shorter than you, string some bows up to 64” and in the 60s weight range. Used to string up to 75 and never use more than one foot. Never have a prob using pouches, one pouch, etc. my only prob is sometimes the double pouch type won’t work on some limbs being the string grooves are too close to end. Maybe post a video so we aren’t guessing
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2024, 03:53:45 PM »
As a double pocket user (50+ years or so), do you single pocket users worry about your lower limb, since that limb would seem to have all the perceived issues a double pocket stringer would impart to it?
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2024, 09:51:07 AM »
As a double pocket user (50+ years or so), do you single pocket users worry about your lower limb, since that limb would seem to have all the perceived issues a double pocket stringer would impart to it?

I think the issue you're referring to is the risk of twisting the limb if the pocket on the stringer is not placed on the limb correctly.  The double pocket stringer I’m most familiar with is the Black Widow stringer.  I have used this stringer thousands of times without any issues except, as I mentioned above, where the upper pocket no longer fits some newer limbtips. I've never paid much attention to positioning the lower pocket because it seems designed to slide into place so that it is centered on the limb.  I do glance down at it to make sure that is happening, but I’ve never had to reposition one.

The other issue is a possible safety hazard if the upper limb tip slips out of its pocket.  That has happened to me when I’ve tried to use the stringer on limbtips that are wider than the stringer is designed for, such as some older Bear recurves.  Fortunately, I still have both eyes, but I am more careful now when stringing that kind of bow.

Personally, I think there might be more of a safety hazard from using the one pocket stringers because of the extra stress on the users' shoulders from trying to string a bow with one, but there are no doubt ways to mitigate this risk, as have been demonstrated in other posts.  But I do use these successfully on bows that require them.  But I don't like them, and will continue to use my Black Widow stringer on bows where it fits.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©