Author Topic: Obsessed with a Stave  (Read 441 times)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Obsessed with a Stave
« on: July 26, 2024, 06:37:37 PM »
Have you ever had a stave that was meant for the wood shed, but you became bound and determined to try and make something out of it.  Working on one like that right now. I'm spending more time creating all kinds of jigs and cauls just to get it even close to the string tracking down the center. For some reason, there is something telling me there's a bow in there somewhere?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Mo_coon-catcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Obsessed with a Stave
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2024, 07:08:49 PM »
I do it all the time. If I can get a clean back I’ll try to make a bow from it. Twist, knots, cracks, doesn’t matter.

Kyle

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2024, 08:59:11 PM »
Years ago a friend gave me 3 osage staves that should have been in the burn pile. These three staves had about every malady a bow stave should have, knots, pins, twists, checks, bends...well you get the picture. That winter I put my mind and the knowledge I'd learned from other wood bow builders to work and by spring I had 5 shooters. Not pretty, not symmetrical, not straight but all worthy shooters. I learned more about osage and wood bow building from those 3 staves and few months than from any other bow building experience I can think of.
 Staves like this can really teach you a bunch if you allow it to. Looking forward to your progress and success.  :thumbsup:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2024, 08:45:56 PM »
Got a string on it after several rounds of the heat gun.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2024, 11:18:09 PM »
You seem to developing a hinge just off the left fade. Stay away from that area until you get your limbs balanced.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2024, 03:03:02 PM »
I do it all the time. If I can get a clean back I’ll try to make a bow from it. Twist, knots, cracks, doesn’t matter.

Kyle

I can confirm this from the bow swap.... :biglaugh:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©