Author Topic: Wood allergies  (Read 1214 times)

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood allergies
« on: August 05, 2024, 01:11:12 PM »
We all know that certain types of wood can cause allergic reactions and there have been some discussions here on the subject. I first noticed that I was beginning to become allergic when I was using pao ferro in some risers. Since then, I have had minor reactions to some other woods as well. Usually some itching, runny nose and sneezing.
Then last night I got so stuffed up that I couldn’t breathe through my nose and I was sneezing my head off. This after taking “ extra strength” allergy pills. I had been turning walnut and some honey locust earlier in the day.
The day before, I had been working with white ash with no problems at all.
Does anyone here know of any treatment for allergies. I’m going to be taking to the doctor when they’re open, but I’m interested in any options that are out there. I’m sure the doctor will have a simple answer: stop working with wood. To me that’s not an option.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood allergies
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2024, 01:12:52 PM »
I neglected to mention that while I was turning the wood, I was using dust collection and I was wearing my powered air filter.

Online OldRawhide42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2024, 01:41:01 PM »
Dave where does your powered air filter get its air feed from ???   It might not be the wood getting you.
Jim

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2024, 02:33:26 PM »
It’s an industrial 3m unit. The filter is on a belt behind me. They use a similar model at work in the paint department. I bought mine with dust filters suitable for woodworking. The headgear has a full face mask and helmet with a seal around my face and neck. You might think it’s uncomfortable but I love it. I recently gave it a good cleaning and replaced the filter.
To be fair, I was covered in wood chips and dust while turning and I used the dust collector to clean off before I went inside.

Online OldRawhide42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2024, 04:35:20 PM »
I would move the air inlet outside. Easier said than done.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2024, 04:50:56 PM »
Ideally yes, but it’s designed to be worn. The small fan wouldn’t be able push air through a long hose.
I’m wondering if there’s any treatment for the allergies that would mitigate the problem. Quitting woodworking isn’t going to happen.
Dave.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2024, 07:56:18 PM »
I’ve been working wit( exotics for about 18 years now, and for the first 10 years I had no reactions to any woods at all. Age 45-55 period. Then I had a reaction to Zebra wood making me sneeze and clog up my sinuses real bad, and ripping ebony and Wenge bothered me a wee bit, like getting pepper in the nose but nothing else bothered me. I found the issues to be species related. Some woods no problem at all even without a dust mask. Then recently I got a serious reaction from a rosewood that caused a rash in the webs of both hands first, then spread up m6 arms and even my chest and arm pits…. I ended up at the doctors and was treated with steroids for this last one. Took a week to clear the rash…. I’m 68 years old now.

For self medication for sinus related issues and allergies I’d recommend Benadryl or antihistamines.

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2024, 09:08:24 PM »
I wasn’t allergic to anything until I was in my 30’s. We moved back to southern Europe and the accatia trees hit me like a hammer when they flowered.
Wood never bothered me and I have been eating sawdust since I was a kid “ helping “ my Dad in his shop. A few years ago I started itching a bit while shaping some pau ferro, which is a rosewood if I’m not mistaken. I learned that once you become allergic to a wood, you can become allergic to others as well. It appears that walnut has become a problem now. That sucks because I have a lot of walnut and I’m in the middle of turning some 5 dozen twig pots for my Niece’s upcoming wedding. Yesterday, I took a couple of extra strength allergy pills and when I got really stuffed up, I took a shot of Flownase. Big mistake. My sinuses closed up completely.
I’ll ask about Benadryl. Hopefully I can be proactive before getting out in the shop.
Dave.

Online garyschuler

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2024, 10:25:48 PM »
Pretty much done with the rosewoods myself. Not bad reaction but why chase a Bear. My Nemesis is Smooth-on Epoxy. Man I am in bad shape for a week after. Even while wearing rubber gloves and trying to be as efficient as possible. I only make 2-3 Bows a year now for grandkids and family &friends. Really tears me up !!’
Gary Schuler

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2024, 01:16:19 AM »
Pretty much done with the rosewoods myself. Not bad reaction but why chase a Bear. My Nemesis is Smooth-on Epoxy. Man I am in bad shape for a week after. Even while wearing rubber gloves and trying to be as efficient as possible. I only make 2-3 Bows a year now for grandkids and family &friends. Really tears me up !!’

Wow! Having an allergic reaction to EA-40 would be bad for a bowyer. Sorry to hear that Gary…
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2024, 09:08:59 AM »
Epoxy allergies are no joke. I was using Total Boat - 2 part a fair amount last Fall on some projects I had going.  It closed up my sinuses and clogged me up so bad it was terrible.  Took me almost to Christmas time to get some relief. I try to avoid using it as much as possible now, and when I do I'm fully decked out with rubber gloves, respirator...etc. - seems to help.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online garyschuler

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2024, 03:48:13 PM »
I’ just turned 66 , so now making is just a once in a while project anymore. But I developed red rashes and an itch that would drive me nuts. It lasts about a week. I can tell you, I am a little grumpy during that time.  !!! lol !!!😝
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 11:28:07 AM by garyschuler »
Gary Schuler

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2024, 04:55:54 PM »
I was warned about getting epoxy on my skin years ago when I was building a boat. It’s one of those things that you will develop an allergy to if you keep getting it on your skin.
Thankfully, that’s one thing I can avoid, since I build wood and bamboo bows, I can use TB3.
Dave.

Online Stagmitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2024, 05:38:32 PM »
Hey gary maybe try Unibond 800- I use this glue for all my wood to wood glueups
Stagmitis

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2024, 11:58:11 PM »
Hey gary maybe try Unibond 800- I use this glue for all my wood to wood glueups

Did your bamboo arrive yet bro?
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2024, 02:33:19 AM »
A couple suggestions from experience with an allergy or two, and long experience working in particulate industrial atmospheres:

First, get a properly fitted double cartridge respirator with P3 cartridges.  They aren't super cheap, but they last a good long while, and filter out anything you'd be dealing with.  That, and a good pair of goggles, go a long way towards keeping any particulate out of your system.  Just be careful taking them off, and clean them up when you do.  Under sawdust service, they'll last for months.

Secondly, for those who have a hard time with anti-histamine drugs that make you drowsy (my issue: even the non-drowsy stuff puts me in slumber mode), or don't like drugs in general, try a couple grams of time-release vitamin C, and a gram of Citrus bioflavonoids (from the rinds of citrus fruits, found at health food stores).

I pretty much managed to kill my cedar and hay-fever allergies by taking these, usually daily in the summer.  They pretty much do the same thing as anti-histamines, in a more natural fashion, by bolstering your own bodily defences against a histamine reaction.  They seem to work well for me, and don't make you want to sleep. 

Online Richard Korte

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2024, 12:51:24 AM »
Cocobolo.......Years ago, when I started building bows, I was grinding a Cocobolo riser with a carbide Kutzall bit in my Foredom tool. The bit became clogged with the oily wood, so I took my propane torch, clamped the bit in my vice, and burned the clogged wood out of the burr. It never occurred to me that the smoke might be harmful, and it wasn’t......at least for about 20 minutes. My eyes began to burn along with my nose and upper lip. I’ll skip the details, but the results were blisters on every part of my face, neck, upper chest, and the back of my hands. It was months before all symptoms were gone. I haven’t touched that wood since.
Always do what’s right, even when no one is looking.

Online garyschuler

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2024, 07:37:52 AM »
Yeah, Richard, that Cocobolo and Purpleheart, other oily woods clogging up and burning on sanding belts is terrible too. I wear a full face mask with filters and rubber gloves. Epoxies put me down for a few days. I guess I’m getting wimpy. !!
Gary Schuler

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2024, 09:26:46 AM »
I had some issues with cocobolo, bocote and lacewood about 10 years back. I asked every dr I could about it and then went to an alergist. They did testing and found that my system was loaded with something.

They gave me some medicine to bring it down to normal levels and I haven't had an issue since.. except lacewood! so I don't use it anymore.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2024, 06:23:28 PM »
If I have another reaction like the one I had last week I will ask to get a referral to see an allergist. I have been ok for a few days now, but I just brought home a bunch of walnut , birch and honey locust. I’m half way through turning about 5 dozen bud vases for my Niece’s wedding. A lot of them are going to be walnut because we have a lot of it.
Dave.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©