3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowhunting fitness/workout  (Read 1074 times)

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowhunting fitness/workout
« on: August 05, 2024, 08:29:11 PM »
How do you get in shape / stay in shape ?

Here's my story...

Through the years I've tried to keep my strength up for shooting bows from 45 - 70 pounds.  I'm 53, in good physical condition, but a pretty bad T1 diabetic. 

About 15 years ago I got really into shooting, it became my backyard sport, and has been for years.  For the first couple of years I was living with consistent, significant neck pain and was constantly at the chiropractor.  At that time, I wasn't working out equally with both arms on my bows.  After I started doing that, the neck problems completely resolved themselves.  I broke my drawing arm shoulder in a bad bicycle accident in 2022, managed to avoid surgery, and have come back stronger than I was before.  About 6 months ago I hurt my right shoulder again while playing around at the trampoline park with my kids.  But again I've rebounded, and I think it's because I've tried to keep my shoulders healthy but not overworked.

Nowadays I have a constant but irregular routine of drawing my bow, push-ups, curls with dumbbells, forward-facing rows with a kettlebell, walking a couple miles, and riding an exercise bike.  I do push-ups whenever I get a chance.... at work, at home, out walking, etc.  I have a 57# recurve hanging behind the door of my office at work, and I draw it throughout the day, 10 reps each side, whenever I need a breather.  I used to work out a lot when I was younger.  I exercise now to stay in shape, for the long run, and if I don't feel like it, I just don't do it... or I stop halfway through.  That keeps me from hating it and burning out. 

Oh yeah... I usually shoot one or two of my bows every day.  And I will add that it's always in my mind that I'm doing this so that I'm ready for bowhunting and overcoming obstacles between me and success.  I don't get to hunt big game much... life has always gotten in the way.  But when I do get the chance, I want to give it my best shot.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2024, 12:42:23 AM by Archie »
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowhunting fitness/workout
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2024, 03:55:49 AM »
Glad it’s working for you but I’m very different. Working out for me is a lifestyle and has been 44 years now. Even on vaca or in a remote camp I find ways to include working out and can’t imagine even a couple days not doing so
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2024, 08:38:39 AM »
After years of obstacle races, once I closed in on 60 years I needed to reassess my workouts. I incorporate more work into flexibility and functional strength workouts to include rope climbs. This has not only allowed me to be relatively pain free but also increase the bow weight that in the past I struggled with. This has nothing to do with being macho but everything to do with adjusting the work to maintain the ability. We have been sold a bag of hot air when we are expected to slow down as we age. The importance is to stay with the program and adjust as you go, stopping is out of the question.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2024, 06:58:54 PM »
Its starting to catch up with me not doing as much for the last 6 years. Once my oldest got into college somehow I had no time anymore. I can still go all day but it takes a toll on me now.

I HAVE to start doing something cause this is not me.  I also gained 30 pound in those years.  Not me either.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2024, 11:04:31 PM »
I am days shy of 79. Up until Covid I was doing OK. Doing gym, walking, etc. pulling 55#+ bows, no issues. The shut down and then the heart issues and back issues have greatly reduced my stamina and some of my strength. 45#’s feels real good these days. Slowly getting back to walking a mile each morning and with a couple of excersie classes from the VA I am looking forward to at least some small game hunting this coming fall. Getting old anit fun and a small or large medical issue seems to set you back longer than if your young.

Offline SpeRo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2024, 04:11:47 AM »
You have a good routine Archie!

For my part I played a lot of sports in high school and now I just work out at home and shoot regularly. And it does!
I think that archery is not really an activity of muscles, but rather of nerves. I do not deny the fact that shooting powers over 60# requires a certain build, but I have seen "old hands" who were not very keen on fitness, who mastered their bows perfectly. And as opposed to friends of mine who were fanatics in the gym, who could barely cock a 45# bow...

Fitness has today become a remedy for our abondant and tertiary societies. A proportionate diet and a little walking already make us decent bowmans,without forgetting shooting practice ! :campfire:
Bear Custom Kodiak TD 52# 28"
Black Widow PSA 3 66# 28"
Great Plains Longbow R/D Bamboo 55# 28"

Online Bowsey Wails

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Timmy P
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2024, 06:55:23 AM »
This is not part of a workout regimen, but as far as dropping body weight avoid eating processed food. Fortunately, wild game is 100% unprocessed.
"I use no device to direct my arrow towards its mark, save my eyes and my will." Anthony Camera, aka Viper.
I'm not old school, I'm one room school house.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2024, 08:05:13 AM »
This is not part of a workout regimen, but as far as dropping body weight avoid eating processed food. Fortunately, wild game is 100% unprocessed.

YES!!!! And if you have to eat bread eat sourdough, its a lot better that other type breads as it has no yeast.
 :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2024, 10:16:46 AM »
Cycling 3-4 days a week, up to 100 mile rides, mountain run 3-4 days a week, weights 2-3 days a week. As I am getting a bit beyond my teen years, (65) I have also added daily, every day, stretching and calisthenics. I am also on the rowing machine daily as I also fly fish and need to be able to move a boat. If I had to limit my workouts the number one would be walking the area mountains as often as I could.
Dav

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2024, 12:38:45 PM »
I shoot 60-100 arrows at least 5 days a week, then do a 2-4 mile ruck with as much elevation as I can get with a 50 pound pack 4-5 days a week. I also golf twice a week carrying a bag that has way too many golf balls in it. Even after that, I'm usually reminded how out of shape I am within the first few days of a western hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©