3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finger Pain: Inexperience, Poor Form/Release, or Not Enough Protection?  (Read 535 times)

Offline LUMEN

• Trad Bowhunter
Hello Friends,

I'm not sure if this can be answered as a general question because I imagine it varies from individual to individual.

I've been having considerable pain in my finger tips/pads; as a general rule is this a common issue for new shooters, or is this more frequently an issue with form/release or a lack of adequate finger protection? I'm shooting my 46# @30" longbow 3-under with a Yost Archery Tab. The last few days I've had to bandage my fingers and wear a glove underneath my tab to continue shooting; this is having a considerable negative effect on my hook/release.

Based on the recommendation of "Friend" here, I will be buying an American Leathers Big Shot glove. I'd appreciate any insight you folks are willing to share.

Thanks

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finger Pain: Inexperience, Poor Form/Release, or Not Enough Protection?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2024, 10:39:43 AM »
If you are fairly new to traditional archery, my guess is that you are dragging your fingers on the string. The correct way to release the string is to relax the fingers and let the string push them out of the way. The way many beginners release the string is to try to let go of it. You can't let go of the string quickly enough to avoid dragging your fingers on it. This causes way more string contact than letting the string flick relaxed fingers out of the way.

Unfortunately, either way involves some string contact with the fingers, and you already have pain. You may have to lay off shooting long enough for the pain to go away. In the mean time, study up on relaxing the fingers. Almost any except for the thinnest gloves or tabs should be adequate protection for a 47# bow if you're releasing the string correctly.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline LUMEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2024, 10:43:16 AM »
If you are fairly new to traditional archery, my guess is that you are dragging your fingers on the string. The correct way to release the string is to relax the fingers and let the string push them out of the way. The way many beginners release the string is to try to let go of it. You can't let go of the string quickly enough to avoid dragging your fingers on it. This causes way more string contact than letting the string flick relaxed fingers out of the way.

Unfortunately, either way involves some string contact with the fingers, and you already have pain. You may have to lay off shooting long enough for the pain to go away. In the mean time, study up on relaxing the fingers. Almost any except for the thinnest gloves or tabs should be adequate protection for a 47# bow if you're releasing the string correctly.

Thanks McDave! That makes perfect sense; it's almost certainly my release that's causing the issues. I'm going to take a little time off shooting and study up so I can correct this issue and re-evaluate upon healing.

Patrick

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2024, 11:12:28 AM »
Fist you said  tips/pads. then said hook/release.

So, 1st we gotta clarify....is the string riding on the pads/tips, or in the 1st groove of your joints?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2024, 04:03:44 PM »
Fist you said  tips/pads. then said hook/release.

So, 1st we gotta clarify....is the string riding on the pads/tips, or in the 1st groove of your joints?

x2
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online Swamp Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2024, 04:48:17 PM »
I was having the same issue. Bought a thicker glove, electrical tape on the finders under the glove, tried a work glove, and so on. The string was resting on the pads so when I moved back to the first joint the issue went away. Now I'm back to shooting with a softer tab again without issue.

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2024, 09:37:11 AM »
I hope Lumen comes back as I want to learn a thing or two.  I think I know the answer but not sure what he means either.

Talk to us Lumen.  :campfire:
Get bamboo.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©