3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Delta 4 blade  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Delta 4 blade
« on: August 14, 2024, 06:35:11 PM »
Like to see animals taken as well as bloodtrail pics if you have any, from animals taken with the Zwickey Delta 4 blades.

Would be helpful to know the bow & arrow setup as well.

Lastly-what method do you use to sharpen? I’ve tried Terry’s method, just haven’t gotten em as sharp as I’d like (user error for sure)
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Delta 4 blade
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2024, 06:55:16 PM »
Here is one of the black bears I killed with a Zwickey Delta 4 blade in New Brunswick Canada. I was bowhunting with a Dick Robertson Montana Falcon Takedown recurve (65#@28"). Arrow was a tapered maple arrow that I made. The arrow was fletched with three 5 1/2" banana fletching with a helical left-hand twist and weighted 650 grains. And the broadhead was sharpened with a file. The arrow hit the bear right behind the left shoulder and was a complete pass through and was sticking in the ground. The bear only went approx 50 yards. I killed some other game animals with them, but I can't remember which ones because I've used a variety of different broadheads in 55 years.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 07:40:17 PM by kopfjaeger »
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2024, 07:21:25 PM »
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2024, 07:50:14 PM »
Here is one of the black bears I killed with a Zwickey Delta 4 blade in New Brunswick Canada. I was bowhunting with a Dick Robertson Montana Falcon Takedown recurve (65#@28"). Arrow was a tapered maple arrow that I made. The arrow was fletched with three 5 1/2" banana fletching with a helical left-hand twist and weighted 650 grains. And the broadhead was sharpened with a file. The arrow hit the bear right behind the left shoulder and was a complete pass through and was sticking in the ground. The bear only went approx 50 yards. I killed some other game animals with them, but I can't remember which ones because I've used a variety of different broadheads in 55 years.

Nice bear!

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2024, 09:26:25 AM »
I don’t use em anymore but here’s the last animal I took with one
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2024, 01:05:37 PM »
The Alaskan Yukon moose in my avatar was taken with a Zwickey 4-blade delta on a 725 grain birch arrow out of a 66# Robertson longbow.  On new heads, I start with a file to even out the triple thickness tip with the rest of the blade.  Then I go to Tru-angle hones of coarse and fine grit to sharpen the main blades.  I use a 6-inch file to sharpen the bleeders, and then drag them backward on the hones.  Everything ends up very sharp. 

Online Rob Emerson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2024, 07:27:46 PM »
What broadhead are you shooting now, and what are you planning on hunting?  Weren’t you shooting VPA 3 blades?

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2024, 07:38:10 PM »
Rob it’s hard to tell who you are asking the question to?
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Rob Emerson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2024, 07:56:04 PM »
I’m asking the question to the OP. 

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2024, 08:18:14 AM »

I brought VPA 1 1/4 3 blades on my bear hunt. Unfortunately still trying for my 1st trad animal.

If I could figure out how to sharpen the Zwickey’s I’d definitely use them, just love how they look as a traditional broadhead.

Plus just finished Monty Brownings new moose hunting book (FANTASTIC btw) and that helped make up my mind.

Nothing wrong with the VPA’s by any means & I can get them stupid sharp with my diamond stones. Just want to figure out the Delta’s is all

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2024, 08:19:10 AM »
The Alaskan Yukon moose in my avatar was taken with a Zwickey 4-blade delta on a 725 grain birch arrow out of a 66# Robertson longbow.  On new heads, I start with a file to even out the triple thickness tip with the rest of the blade.  Then I go to Tru-angle hones of coarse and fine grit to sharpen the main blades.  I use a 6-inch file to sharpen the bleeders, and then drag them backward on the hones.  Everything ends up very sharp.

Where do you find those Tru Angle hones?

Online Rob Emerson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2024, 09:13:00 AM »

I brought VPA 1 1/4 3 blades on my bear hunt. Unfortunately still trying for my 1st trad animal.

If I could figure out how to sharpen the Zwickey’s I’d definitely use them, just love how they look as a traditional broadhead.

Plus just finished Monty Brownings new moose hunting book (FANTASTIC btw) and that helped make up my mind.

Nothing wrong with the VPA’s by any means & I can get them stupid sharp with my diamond stones. Just want to figure out the Delta’s is all

Well, if you’re after big blood trails the 3 blades like the VPA and snuffer are where it’s at.  The snuffer is all I’ve ever really shot.  I thought you might be after some bigger game where you didn’t feel comfortable with a 3 blade.  Good luck with the Delta’s.  I know RMSG makes a jig for 2 blades that’s pretty slick.  I would imagine it would work on those Zwickey heads.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2024, 10:04:15 AM »

Well, if you’re after big blood trails the 3 blades like the VPA and snuffer are where it’s at.  The snuffer is all I’ve ever really shot.  I thought you might be after some bigger game where you didn’t feel comfortable with a 3 blade.  Good luck with the Delta’s.  I know RMSG makes a jig for 2 blades that’s pretty slick.  I would imagine it would work on those Zwickey heads.

Our whitetail are pretty sturdy here in Iowa haha! I am hopefully that I will move back to Montana eventually, and am going to be taking some serious Western/Alaska hunts eventually

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2024, 12:43:19 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't think tru-angle hones are made anymore, but you can still find them on the big auction site occasionally.  I forgot one step in my process.  After beveling the tip to match the rest of the blade, I true up the main blade bevel with a tru-angle file block before going to the hones.  The file block treatment would probably be sharp enough, but the hones polish the blade.  I've also seen a leather tru-angle strop to give the blade the final touch, but I don't own one of those.

If you can't find the hones, you can get Zwickeys just about as sharp with a file and ceramic stick.  Folks have been doing that for more than 50 years. 

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2024, 12:55:48 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't think tru-angle hones are made anymore, but you can still find them on the big auction site occasionally.  I forgot one step in my process.  After beveling the tip to match the rest of the blade, I true up the main blade bevel with a tru-angle file block before going to the hones.  The file block treatment would probably be sharp enough, but the hones polish the blade.  I've also seen a leather tru-angle strop to give the blade the final touch, but I don't own one of those.

If you can't find the hones, you can get Zwickeys just about as sharp with a file and ceramic stick.  Folks have been doing that for more than 50 years.

I’m terrible with a file lol, need more practice & instruction I suppose

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2024, 03:56:37 PM »
I watched Mr Terry Green sharpen a 4 blade Zwickey last year
https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=121911.0
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2024, 04:10:19 PM »

Can’t seem to get the hang of it. I’d seen those in the past. Course won’t work on my phone haha.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2024, 04:58:37 PM »
Doesn’t look like Tru Angle is in business anymore.

I see Ozcut makes an angle sharpener, I think this would work?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2024, 10:59:14 AM »
I agree that 3 blades leave good blood trails, but don't even think about dissing Delta Four Blades  on their blood trails.  :nono: :nono: :nono:

:biglaugh:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2024, 12:10:18 PM »

Can’t seem to get the hang of it. I’d seen those in the past. Course won’t work on my phone haha.

There are a TON of videos on here that need to be converted as the old format is not working any longer. Some of the videos on here are 20 years old.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©