3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 Blade VPA broadhead profile thoughts??  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
3 Blade VPA broadhead profile thoughts??
« on: August 15, 2024, 10:18:58 PM »
I've been the proud shooter of Rothaar Snuffers for most of my 40+ year hunting career. Sadly, my personal supply has diminished and replenishing them is hit or miss... So, I have been exploring other 3 blade options - I'm actually amazed at the COST and profile options available from different manufacturers - all good stuff I'm sure, but I am going to miss my Snuffers. Anyway, through research I've kinda landed on VPA as a good option at a now-reasonable (?) price but I see that you can get the same 200 gr. head (my target weight) in 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" versions - the 1-1/8" being sleeker and maybe less prone to tuning or less-than-perfect release issues under hunting conditions.
Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on which fly better while still being very effective on game (MN whitetails primarily), efficiency and quick kills being the ultimate goal always!
Thank you for any feedback.
Randy

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 Blade VPA broadhead profile thoughts??
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2024, 10:35:32 PM »
I've killed deer with both the 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 inch heads weighing 200 grains. I didn't notice a difference really, and both flew well and performed well for me. I was happy with the holes that they made and the blood trails that they left.

Online Nomadstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2024, 05:40:11 AM »
VPA 3 blades are great. Can’t go wrong with either width. Had most deer drop within sight. You’ll have no regrets.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2024, 07:57:54 AM »
I shot the 1 1/8" 3 blades for some time, great blood trails, took quite a few deer with them.  Last year I got some of the 1.25" and they were shorter and wider but same 200 grain weight.  I was a little concerned at the length but shot a fair sized buck day before rifle season and it stuck in the dirt other side.  46#@ 28",  530 grain carbon.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2024, 11:54:11 AM »
I don't shoot them but believe that concern over 1 1/8" vs 1 1/4" is a moot point.  You're only talking a 1/16" on each blade which I don't believe is a concern.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2024, 12:16:10 PM »
I’m a VPA fan. My go to is the 250 Grain 1-1/4” 3 blade. I’ve used 175 Grain 1-1/8” 3 Blade as well in the past. They all fly great for me and I’m having no trouble with penetration on the 1-1/4” so I like the additional cutting surface for maximum trauma and blood trail. Either are great options :campfire:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2024, 12:29:07 PM »
My main concern was the blade angle on the 1.25" as they look a little stubby, not the diameter, but no prob!! :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2024, 12:35:55 PM »
My main concern was the blade angle on the 1.25" as they look a little stubby, not the diameter, but no prob!! :thumbsup:
Understood, the 250 Grain units have a longer profile which I do prefer.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2024, 02:17:21 PM »
Haven’t taken anything with the 1 1/4 200 grain 3 blades, but man do they fly nice & sharpen up extremely well for me
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online Bullchaser1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2024, 02:59:41 PM »
Vpa’s are great heads. Killed lots of critters with them. I’ve definitely noticed better blood trails with them since I started sharpening on a 6” pvc pipe/ sand paper.  A little better blade angle I guess.
J
60” Widow PsaIII 63#
58” Widow PchX  62#

Offline Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2024, 04:11:07 PM »
I don't shoot them but believe that concern over 1 1/8" vs 1 1/4" is a moot point.  You're only talking a 1/16" on each blade which I don't believe is a concern.

Good point that this is only 1/16" each direction! I agree with others that I appreciate a sleek profile vs short & stubby. Probably a mute point on a well designed and constructed broadhead, but confidence in equipment is key.
Probably go for the 1-1/8" version to have maximum confidence in my choices.
Randy

Appreciate all the positive responses - sounds like VPAs are a good choice!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2024, 11:08:57 AM »
What animals are you planning on hunting with them?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2024, 11:20:15 AM »
What animals are you planning on hunting with them?

Primarily whitetails and black bears here in Mn. Hoping to eventually venture out of state (West) for antelope and possibly elk, that'd be a year or two out...

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2024, 11:26:32 AM »
All of those sound fine with the 1 1/4 ecept maybe the elk.  What bow and arrow  weights?

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2024, 11:29:22 AM »
All of those sound fine with the 1 1/4 ecept maybe the elk.  What bow and arrow  weights?

Shooting 53lbs @ my draw, arrows are ~520grs.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2024, 12:06:39 PM »
This is just my take....

I'd go with the steeper attack angle of the 1 1/8 for elk and big hogs.

Best of luck!  :campfire:

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2024, 01:37:18 PM »
I've been shooting the 1 1/8" VPA heads since they first hit the market. When I started shooting them, I was shooting bows in the low 50# range. Shoulder issues have dictated a couple of drops in bow weight to the 40# range. Since dropping to 40#ish I have killed 10-12 whitetails and all but one were a complete pass thru and the other hit the leg bone on exit. VPAs are solid, well-made heads and I find them very easy to sharpen. If you ever bend one (I haven't), I believe that they will replace it for free...at least that used to be their policy. I did a pig hunt with the owner several years ago and he was hunting with a longbow as was one of his employees that was on the same hunt. They know what we trad guys need! Good luck!!>>>------->
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2024, 10:31:49 AM »
VPA is a good head, when I run out of Snuffer and Grizzly Instinct they will be on my arrows.  The poundage I shoot makes the 1/16" difference in width moot.  Keep 'em sharp.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2024, 12:08:03 PM »
For what its worth, I'll be bringing the 1.25 inch heads after elk in a couple of weeks. if I get some data I'll report back on how they perform. As of right now I have no concerns about them though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 12:13:31 PM by Trenton G. »

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2024, 06:23:25 PM »
I have actually shot quite a few critters with the vpa heads, both the standard 1 1/8" diameter and the 1 1/4".  I have shot both the short stubby 1 1/4'' as well as the somewhat longer profile that the 250 grain heads have.  Here are some of my thoughts.

On hogs, I have noticed significantly better and more consistent blood trails using the 1 1/4" heads, but I doubt that I have ever not recovered an animal by using the 1 1/8" heads.

I have found no significant change in how well my arrows fly or tune between the 2 different diameters.

I haven't seen a change in penetration between the 2 different heads, but I may shoot a little more energetic setups than some.  I seriously doubt that using the short stubby 1 1/4 200 grain heads will cause you any issue on bear and deer.  Now, if you hit heavy bone it may, but then you have other problems to deal with.  Honestly with 53#, I have a hard time believing that you would have trouble penetrating elk or hogs as long as your arrows are flying straight, but that is only my opinion.  Good luck with whatever you choose.  If you have any doubts regarding penetration due to the profile, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 1 1/8" heads, and I really can't speak to how the heads perform on elk, because I haven't shot an elk yet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©