3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Acorns and Deer  (Read 1399 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Acorns and Deer
« on: August 17, 2024, 11:30:07 AM »
I might be wrong on this but I noticed a couple weeks ago that the acorns are dropping already.
Here in mid Michigan I don't see many deer here until after October 31st.
The reason being, the deer are eating acorns up until then and they will just stay in the oaks.
We have a big White Oak at the edge of the woods that I can see from the house and for this past week, I'm watching deer including fawns eating acorns.
Mid August? I don't remember seeing this happen until late September.
Like I said, I might be wrong but what do you think?
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tomas Stieber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Acorns and Deer
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2024, 11:48:46 AM »
Maybe they are eating them before the squirrels and turkeys do.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2024, 02:19:06 PM »
Squirrels will cut them out of the trees while they are still green.  Squirrels bury the "good" nuts they find because they are more likely to be viable food sources later in the winter.

Pine, are you having a drought up there?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2024, 03:42:17 PM »
No drought, been kinda wet this August here.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2024, 05:51:41 PM »
Different here. Not a lot of white oak acorns but plenty of red oaks. I've been out squirrel hunting couple times this week and there's no activity of them cutting on any acorns yet. I thought they would be.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2024, 07:59:08 AM »
The couple of spots I’ve checked here don’t show any white oak acorns.  I’m going to scout some other areas today—hopefully I can find some producing without having to climb to 4000’+!

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2024, 09:13:42 AM »
Acorns don't really have an impact where I am.  There are a lot of fruit and dairy farms.  They have orchards, miles of corn, alfalfa, and hay to choose from.  The squirrels and chipmunks are very lucky to say the least.  Last year was a heavy year for acorns, and the forest floor is still littered with old ones rotting away.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2024, 10:20:41 AM »
Al Dente, I'm not sure what type of oaks you have, but deer will eat white oaks in the fall like nobodies business here, and lots of surrounding states and beyond. We have lots of oaks here, and in October that's is their main food source.

When I use to go to TX with a Tradgang gang every year, we never went in October because the deer will walk right by a feeder to get to the the oaks.  Not much protein in corn, hay, and alfalfa, they eat the acorns for protein for the winter. God programed them to crave protein for the scarce season.  :thumbsup:

There might be more deer eating acorns than you think.

Speaking of heavy acorn crop years, and massive falls that cover the forest floor, are some of the tuffest seasons to hunt as the deer, hogs and bear don't have to travel far to eat. However, as a hunter you do have to move and put down some serious boot leather to find where they are feeding. That scenario is for big woods, it's a little easier those years on farm land oaks.

Here, during bow season starting the 2nd Saturday in September farm land deer will be in the crops, corn, soybeans, etc.... Once the acorns start to drop they leave the fields and feed on the oaks.  Then after the acorns have been exhausted, they return to the fields post harvest and eat what the combines didn't get. They will feed out there, along with browse till the end of the season in January.

If you want to create a white oak hot spot, fertilize the oaks in an areas you prefer and can get the wind in your favor in more that one stand.  They fertilizer will make your acorns stand out by being more heartier and sweeter.  I also fertilize green briar for late season and winter browse.

They make fertilizer stakes that you can drive in the ground that will time release. 

Pretty cool.  :campfire:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2024, 10:43:18 AM »
Pine, I'm seeing the same thing where I'm at. I have a big white oak in my front yard that had some under it already. Seems very odd to me too, we've had a pretty good year for moisture, I'm wondering if it isn't stress induced from the gypsy months again this year.  They weren't as bad as in past years recently, but I could see some defoliation from them in my area.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2024, 03:17:26 PM »
We have white oaks and pin oaks.  But, there are a lot of foods for them to forage on.  We have a lot of farms growing every veggie and green known to man, plus the fruit orchards, and the feed for the dairy/meat farms.  I wish they would take advantage of the acorns dropping, but I just don't see it.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2024, 04:04:46 PM »
On Long Island they will hammer the white oaks too but hit the farms at night for some corn. Every deer I get I examine the stomach content and every one has been filled with acorns and sometimes browse or corn. They like a well balanced diet it seems but hit the oaks for the protein and probably the fat content also.   
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2024, 04:16:24 PM »
On Long Island they will hammer the white oaks too but hit the farms at night for some corn. Every deer I get I examine the stomach content and every one has been filled with acorns and sometimes browse or corn. They like a well balanced diet it seems but hit the oaks for the protein and probably the fat content also.

YES! You might catch our deer at daybreak, then leave to the woods.  Same as they will return to the fields in the evening, yet the older bucks will stay in the woods aways eating acorns till its nearly dark, or totally dark.

And yes again, they just don't ear acorns all day, they still eat grasses, apples and browse for balance. But the acorn steaks are where its at Vern!!!

If I was to go to TX to hunt deer again, I wouldn't ever book October, been there done that.  :nono:

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2024, 10:06:28 AM »
Sawtooth acorns are dropping like rain down here where folks have them planted. August is generally when they fall, and it's probably the least favorite acorn the deer prefer.  But they will eat them until white oaks, pin oaks, etc start falling towards the end of September to October.  That is weird that white oaks would be falling now.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2024, 09:04:58 PM »
Seen a few acorns on the ground today at the archery range.
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2024, 01:27:00 AM »
Wayyy North of you all, but up here, I've been aware of a change for the last couple weeks.  Definitely an early fall. 

The spruce trees outside my house are dropping a gazillion cones now, with very busy squirrels.

Today driving home, I noted the poplars on the hillsides are starting to turn golden already.   Some cooler nights, I guess.

Lets all hope for an Indian summer/long fall. 

Autumn is the best time of the year, up here, and early winters suck, when they last for half the year anyway :/

Online JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2024, 11:58:43 PM »
Last year was a big year for acorns in WV on my mountain land. Tuff to find the deer. Was scouting this weekend and it doesn't look like there many this year.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2024, 10:25:46 AM »
Long Island has a bumper crop this year like we usually do. The squirrels are definitely busy cutting them since my camera that I put in somewhat open woods patch that is surrounded by thick brush finally has pictures of deer after being dry for a month. They would much rather pick up acorns in open woods patch than fighting that brush to find them.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online Radford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2024, 08:59:19 PM »
I’ve noticed them early this year too.
McBroom reverse handle asl

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2024, 09:50:11 AM »
I went down to my archery club to shoot after work yesterday and I saw our dirt road loaded with acorns on the ground and could hear them falling. Sure enough high in the crown of the tree two squirrels were up there working furiously cutting them.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2024, 06:10:13 AM »
Yes, everything is early here in my part of Indiana.
Acorns are dropping, squirrels have been on the walnuts for about a month.
Pawpaw are dropping, too! Picked up 8 in and along the creek, last evening.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Radford, sman, billstick, the rifleman, Philbow, Brianlocal3 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©