3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve for 6 year old  (Read 740 times)

Offline Jaybird72

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve for 6 year old
« on: August 20, 2024, 08:29:48 PM »
Hello:

After about a 12 year hiatus I decided it’s time to dust off my bows and get back into shooting. I also want to introduce my son to it and see if it’s something he’s interested in.

What’s a good recurve or longbow for a six year old? I don’t want to invest too much into it initially, as he might not even like it. I also don’t want to buy junk that will make it frustrating for him. Is there anything in the $100 range that will be good?

Now for the dumber sounding question: how do I figure out if he’s a right or left handed shooter? He is normally right hand dominant…I don’t want to force him to learn one side or the other until I know what feels more natural to him.

Thanks!

-Jay

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve for 6 year old
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2024, 08:39:30 AM »
Look into Joe St. River Bows.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2024, 08:53:56 AM »
2 X  ^^^^^^
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jaybird72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2024, 10:32:37 PM »
Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2024, 12:16:20 AM »
The usual way I check eye dominance is to ask the person to form a small triangle using their thumbs and index fingers on both hands, and look at me through the triangular opening with their arms extended.  So both hands are extended, partially overlapping, leaving a triangular opening to look through. The eye that you see through the hole is their dominant eye.  This is a good method for a six year old because all he has to do is look at you through a hole that he has made between his hands. You make the call. He really doesn’t even have to know what you’re doing.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2024, 01:56:17 AM »
The method I use for checking eye dominance since it doesn’t make the kid do anything is have the child stand back 15 feet or so. Both eyes open and they raise their pointer forget and point at your nose. Looking at it, the finger will be under their dominant eye. You need to realize for best results more than one method to check is best. At times you’ll have someone read wrong. Typically next test I do once I have a determination from the first test is have them point at a distant tree or something (both eyes open) I block the dominant eye with my hand and the tree should move. If it does both tests confirm each other. I still tell them to point and at tree than block opposite eye. The tree should stay the dominant eye was not blocked. Now three tests confirm the eye is reading correct.
During our initial orientation whoever does it typically does as McDave suggested. I, myself, prefer these methods both for ease and cause I don’t want them squinting an eye their hand could be blocking or trying to hard to think and messing test up. There’s also a way to sway results if the student happened to understand dominance and wanted it to match their hand.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2024, 09:20:24 PM »
We used the make hands into a triangle hole process to find eye dominance.. My 6yr old Daughter is shooting well using a 12#@24" 48" AM0 Bear "Little Bear"..1600spine 4mm Easton Advance Sport Arrows. With 120gr points..Its a process getting arrows to fly well at first because the draw and release is so new to them... Keep it fun..let them tell you when they're done. We use a bare hay bale and shoot for spots in the hay..keeps it fun and disappointment low. Don't rush it at all towards accuracy.. Arm guard manditory until??? When they're ready they will show you what they are proud of. Lots of walking around shooting at leaves and dandelions..this has worked for my three daughters that like to shoot bows.

Silly sideways pic upload!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 09:49:52 PM by Michpatriot »

Offline WyomingWhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2024, 11:45:37 PM »
I have bought several of the cheap all fiberglass bear branded bows in different sizes for my 5 year old and 8 year old to shoot. These aren't exactly refined bows but they are cheap and indestructible. Just your typical summer camp solid fiberglass longbow but the kids don't care.

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2024, 06:00:03 AM »
Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.

We have a few instock and ready to go on our website. if you don't see exactly what you need go ahead and place a custom order. Feel free to call with any questions.

https://stjoeriverbows.com/trade-in-program

https://stjoeriverbows.com/
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2024, 09:13:57 AM »
Regarding the arm guard recommendation. Correct grip avoids all contact issues, with the exception for someone, particularly girls, hyperextending an elbow in,
Armguards are a bandaid of sorts not correcting the issue. If you just let someone shoot with no guidance they’ll start practicing bad form ideas into their regimen.
Now we don’t want to over complicate a child learning to shoot and enjoying themselves but a little time with a string bow for instance explaining form, or spending a few mins fixing a grip will avoid issues that are easier than training out.
I teach kids of all ages including really young ones. They don’t hit forearm skin.
Just something to consider.
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2024, 10:11:06 AM »
When starting out a young one, I don’t get into eye dominance at all. Find something that they can draw easily, and let them decide which feels more comfortable drawing left and right handed without an arrow, and go from there.

The biggest thing is keep it fun, and do short sessions. I started my daughter at 3 years old, and could have easily waited another year. At age 4 she was much more interested in it, and loved shooting 3 D trails with us.  Keep it fun… that’s the ticket.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2024, 10:15:05 AM »
I too have taught many hundreds of young people, although few if any as young as 6.  If asked, my usual response is that 8 is a good age to start learning to shoot the bow, as opposed to playing around with a toy bow and suction cup or nerf tipped arrows.  Of course, the archery equivalent of a Mozart does occasionally appear, so my mind remains open.

I always offer all participants in my classes the option of wearing or not wearing an arm guard.  I also teach good archery form, which includes correctly gripping the bow.  In most classes, someone who initially declined wearing an arm guard will change their mind after being spanked by the string a time or two.  It doesn't take many spanks before someone might decide that there are more fun ways to spend their free time.  People typically don't learn the correct way of shooting the bow the first time they are told, and there is no reason to make their mistakes painful.  Also, there are those who because of body structure or choice of bows will hit their arms whether they are shooting using correct form or not, as evidenced by the widespread use of arm guards at all levels of proficiency.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2024, 01:57:06 PM »
I too have taught many hundreds of young people, although few if any as young as 6.  If asked, my usual response is that 8 is a good age to start learning to shoot the bow, as opposed to playing around with a toy bow and suction cup or nerf tipped arrows.  Of course, the archery equivalent of a Mozart does occasionally appear, so my mind remains open.

I always offer all participants in my classes the option of wearing or not wearing an arm guard.  I also teach good archery form, which includes correctly gripping the bow.  In most classes, someone who initially declined wearing an arm guard will change their mind after being spanked by the string a time or two.  It doesn't take many spanks before someone might decide that there are more fun ways to spend their free time.  People typically don't learn the correct way of shooting the bow the first time they are told, and there is no reason to make their mistakes painful.  Also, there are those who because of body structure or choice of bows will hit their arms whether they are shooting using correct form or not, as evidenced by the widespread use of arm guards at all levels of proficiency.

I agree.... I've taught several kids, and none of them shoot correctly when starting out.  2 weeks ago I had a youngster smacking his arm and not enjoying the shooting process, until I put an armguard on him.  I know a lot of grown-ups that use an armguard so they don't get stung.  Didn't Howard Hill use one regularly, too?

Anyway... back to bows... I have several Maddog bows that Mike McCredy made for my kids and nephews/nieces, but he's retired now.  There are a few "kids bow" bowyers on the internet and Facebook, but I haven't found any that have the same profile that Mike's bows have.  I'm in the market right now for a 58", 25# longbow for a 12 year old.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2024, 10:12:49 PM »
Just a couple whacks on the forearm is enough to turn some young shooters sour..what's the harm in protecting? Once the form is there and consistent you can move on..but the flinch induced from some pride induced ideology or tendency to disregard this step can be a setback for some young shooters..what's the point of not providing the arm guard? If the instruction is proper and the form is adhered to great!! Then toss it..but to have the attitude that a whip is good for teaching?? I just dont follow..If the young one is like many I've seen..they get distracted and then you have the potential of souring the day for what...an adults pride? Form doesn't have to come with undue pain as a beginner...same goes for handguns no need to start the flinch by handing a new shooter a Magnum..

Offline Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2024, 06:42:32 PM »
Jay, I have a 48” recurve that has served to introduce many a prospective archer including my three children, several nieces and nephews and a bunch of Boy Scouts over the last 20 years. It’s not a popular brand name but it shoots great for starter. It’s #21@24” for Right handlers. I would be glad to send as a loaner so you don’t have to invest until your son takes to the sport. If interested PM me and we can work out the details. As mention I would not worry too much about right or left handed. The important thing is to get him shooting. Once he’s hooked then look for a bow that will improve his accuracy.
Kind regards,
Albert
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2024, 12:51:43 PM »
Guys there’s no harm in an armgaurd perse but it makes me wonder about the instruction we’d offer. I’ll never get it. Hundreds of kids a year w no slaps except the hyperextended scenario I spoke of which..,  is more common among extremely weak, bony type women. Teach em right guys. It’s important they don’t need to get to a point of being decent only to retrain them a totally different way. That’ll start them backward accuracy wise and too often discourage em from continuing
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©