3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help in Central Iowa  (Read 505 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Help in Central Iowa
« on: August 23, 2024, 09:47:22 AM »
Hey folks,

In my bowhunting journey I started with the Thunderhead replaceable blade broadheads (dad didn't bowhunt so I learned on my own).

That said I never did learn to file sharpen heads.

Got some Zwickey Delta 4 blade's & found an old TruAngle sharpening system online. Spent a good 40 minutes on one single head yesterday-still dull as can be.

I KNOW these broadheads can be sharpened, I just never learned proper techniques. If there is someone in Central Iowa that is handy with a file, i'd love to get together & learn how to do this properly.

I know it's possible because these heads have killed thousands of animals, I'm just not sure what i'm doing wrong. Watched a bunch of videos, definitely operator error.

Would love to learn from somebody that's handy with a file- I shouldn't need a bench grinder & a bunch of different tools to get a simple piece of stamped metal sharp?
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help in Central Iowa
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2024, 10:44:27 AM »
The problem with that particular broadhead is the permanent bleeder blades are in the way when using a file to sharpen the main blade.

Am surprised you couldn’t get the Tru Angle to work because that design was meant to work with these heads. Do you have the one with two files or just the stones?

Used to love in eastern Iowa but now S Illinois or I’d give you one of my custom file setups similar to the Tru Angle.

What I’d recommend for you is get a Rada sharpener, clamp down on solid surface and the main blades on those Zwickeys will be sharp in short order. You will have to file sharpen the permanent bleeder blade however.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2024, 11:21:03 AM »
The problem with that particular broadhead is the permanent bleeder blades are in the way when using a file to sharpen the main blade.

Am surprised you couldn’t get the Tru Angle to work because that design was meant to work with these heads. Do you have the one with two files or just the stones?

Used to love in eastern Iowa but now S Illinois or I’d give you one of my custom file setups similar to the Tru Angle.

What I’d recommend for you is get a Rada sharpener, clamp down on solid surface and the main blades on those Zwickeys will be sharp in short order. You will have to file sharpen the permanent bleeder blade however.

It has 2 files, tightened the screw down that holds the files but the far side opposite the screws are moving I’m sure that isn’t helping

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2024, 03:13:13 PM »
I've used the Tru-angle kit for years; but I found the Delta's problematic with the sharpener...especially the four blade version. (I couldn't get the two blade to work either) I just never could master the Delta with this type of sharpener.  The main issue is the broadhead is just a bit too wide to sit flush in the bottom of the files. You tend to grind the back tips off. Its funny because the old Tru-angle ads used to show a Delta being sharpened.

The two blade Eskimo's sharpen so much quicker with this kit...and even the four blade Eskimo works.

I need the Tru-Angle files with fresh files, Tru-Angle fine stone, and Tru-angle leather strop to make it work to razor sharpness. The files shouldn't move and the older files you got might need to be replaced. They degrade pretty quick.

I eventually abandoned the Delta's for the Eskimo's as I was also sharpening challenged. Nearly 200 big game bow kills later I've never regretted that decision.

Like was mention before, Rada's (and Accusharps) do a pretty good job on the Delta/Eskimo main blades and the bleeders can be sharpened with a small file. Three Rivers sells an excellent file for this purpose.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 03:19:02 PM by Stringwacker »
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2024, 03:23:18 PM »
Thanks Mark, looking for some new files here locally I’ll give that a shot first

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2024, 04:46:43 PM »
The screws that are loose may be part of the problem. Remove the screws and fill the holes with a toothpick or two (depending on the hole size) that have been coated in wood glue. Be sure that the toothpicks are below the level of the wood surface and wipe off any excess glue after inserting them into the block. Let glue dry per instructions on the glue bottle, then install the file back in place. You can mark the hole location with a magic marker to be sure that you get the file back in the original location. ALSO-a file only cuts ONE WAY, so be sure that you only push the broadhead in the direction that the file cuts. With the broadhead mounted on a shaft, you work down the laminated section near the tip by using the file parallel to the blade rather than perpendicular. DON'T use too much pressure and keep the file clean with a file card or a wire brush. A lot of folks don't realize that a file cuts in one direction and if you did know that I didn't mean to be condescending. Good Luck!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2024, 05:32:33 PM »
Hey Mike, thanks for the tip-I took the screws out because the file was also almost bent-the portion furthest from the screws was bent upwards, I’m sure that changed the angle that they were trying to sharpen!

Nope I’m a neophyte when it comes to file sharpening, thank you for the tip! I had to order new files (hardware store didn’t have any), I’ll be sure to keep them clean when they come in early next week & work on getting these sharpened up properly!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©