3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad canoe ?  (Read 482 times)

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad canoe ?
« on: May 21, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
I picked up an old fiberglass canoe and it needs some TLC and a good cleaning up. It is now a puke yellow color and I may paint it. Anyone ever painted a glass canoe (I know it will scuff off the bottom but that's OK) and anyone done one with an archery theme ? Color scheme, theme, camo ?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad canoe ?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
It would be pretty cool to paint it up like a Indian canoe.Maybe a birch bark pattern.Or trase your hand on the side near the front.Or stick archers shooting at stick deer.
Harold Wetzler

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
Fiberglass takes paint pretty well.  If you're going to use it for hunting, duck boat drab olive or marsh brown are two good colors.  When I think traditional canoe, though, I think wood and canvas canoe.  :bigsmyl:

Offline Coldfingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
ruff er up with a bit of steel wool, prime and paint. Nice thing about a glass canoe is that the patches are the strongest places on em.

Funny though, when I think trad canoe, I think "19 foot grumman freighter" with a lift to motor up through skinny water ;*)

Canoes got style.

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures, but God still saw fit to give them quills.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
Tim, birchbark would be hard to do--even for you. How about some caveman drawings of animals and archers? Maybe an Ishi theme? I look forward to seeing it(and maybe riding in it) Very cool project.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
The "Puke yellow" might draw into Osage?
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »
Trad canoe would be my Seliga.  It would be a shame to paint it up. for a fiberglass that can be hunted out of, I would match the vegetation.  I used to have an old town that was river colored for sneaking up on ducks.  I got a deer once while duck hunting with it.You probably already have thought of this, but watch that lower limb when shooting at ducks and deer from a canoe.  It makes a terrible noise when you hit the gunnel with the bow, and it leaves you with a takedown recurve all over the place.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
Sounds great ! I'm gonna' try my hand with a dugout before long. That will be my ultimate Trad canoe. Good luck and send us some pics.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
How about gluing bark to it?Birch bark would be great. You could then finish it with some varnish.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
Definitely pics!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
Definitely pics!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
sounds like yall having to much fun  :biglaugh:  ya got to post pics for sure.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
Tim -- I love your Ronnie quote; perhaps the most honest thing he or any politician ever said! Re the canoe, I don't know about repainting but insofar as all canoes are muscle-powered, all are traditional. That's the raw bone for "traditional" ... do we do it ourselves, or do we buy it? My fiberglass canoe was bought used 23 years ago, and still keeps me dry. More power to material modesty! dave

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
Real Birch Bark is a blast. This picture was taken right after I got my Bark canoe.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
John Nail, if you can do a "J" stroke, you got the stern, otherwise it's the bow for you.
  This old canoe was given to my nephew by a neighbor. The kid ain't all that bright and could stand the $50 I'm giving him( I would have felt I took him at $40   :bigsmyl:   ).I got it cheap enough to play with. I lost my 18 footer some time back in the war and have missed it a lot.
  I can already visualize a float trip down the White River with bows in tow.
 BTW, what's that little stick figure goomers name that Mojam uses on it's logo and Tshirts ? He might be included.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
Looks like ya mite do the cleanup and just use some black spray paint to imitate Ron's Birchy...maybe some brown for darkening bigger patches??

I wonder..will the new Indy mayor, allow us to bow hunt that stretch of the White River ,now?? Lotsa geese,ducks,carp,deer in that stretch.

Be kinda cool just to float thru with a bow/canoe flotilla...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
Tim My first canoe was a yellow fiberglass canoe that I had my body shop buddy paint a dark green.You are right it won't last on the keel but will be O.K. for a good while.The memories that boat is bringing back right now some solo trips and hunting out of it with a buddy and camping away from everybody.I now have an Old Town Camper royellex but doesn't do much more than my old yellow/green canoe did.Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.Kip

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 06:42:00 AM »
Billy, I would feel woefully "undergunned" with a bow in downtown Indy.
 My brother in law has a Mad River Kevlar hanging in his garage. He's too sick to use it but even when he was well he used it little. I think the high cost of it and fear of hurting it was the reason. Guns and bows are for shootin' and canoes are for floating.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
Some canoe pictures

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 08:04:00 AM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©