3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3D shoots and bowhunting?  (Read 1190 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
3D shoots and bowhunting?
« on: August 31, 2024, 11:23:26 AM »
After talking with several trad shooters in different parts of the US, I was surprised that many of them don't shoot 3D shoots. All but a couple of those guys have 3D courses in their area and most have attended a shoot or two. The majority of them prefer stump shooting/roving as their preferred method to practice. I found that odd as the group of guys I shoot with try to hit a 3D shoot at least a couple of times a month.

I ask this question because I have found my desire to attend 3Ds is not near as strong as it has been in the past. I am sure that my age and shoulder issues play a part in that, but I do enjoy just wandering around the back woodlot by myself, picking out a leaf, clump of dirt or even a shadow and sending a judo point on it'
s way. Maybe I'm becoming anti-social, but it's so much more peaceful and relaxing shooting by myself.

Not looking for an answer per say, just something I was pondering on a rainy Saturday morning. A point of interest to me is that 3 of the most successful whitetail hunters I know (well known throughout the hunting community) have only shot a couple of 3Ds in their 60+ years of shooting. I asked one of them why he didn't attend shoots and he said that shooting around a bunch of people wasn't fun for him. I guess it's a matter of different strokes for different folks!>>>------>
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online Bowsey Wails

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Timmy P
Re: 3D shoots and bowhunting?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2024, 12:23:10 PM »
I find it to be more productive and beneficial for me to prepare for hunting by roving/stump shooting. It combines scouting, locating new blind locations due to the ever increasing amount of blow downs and snapped off tree tops. As well as the time to just sit, observe, and let life slow down a bit. The solitude makes it much easier for me to focus on the shot. I've noticed that when I practice with friends I don't shoot nearly as well, it's not due to nervousness. I just find it difficult to concentrate. I guess it's hard for me to tune out people.
"I use no device to direct my arrow towards its mark, save my eyes and my will." Anthony Camera, aka Viper.
I'm not old school, I'm one room school house.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2024, 12:53:17 PM »
I’ve been seriously shooting bows since I was 13 or so. I was in a league for two years. That helped me developed a good release, so that part was good but I just don’t enjoy the competitive part of it I guess.

Not afraid to shoot around other people as the last year I shot in the league I was the only recurve guy shooting with compound guys.

I almost shot  a 3D course this summer, but just too much other stuff on my plate. I am thinking seriously about trying one next year.

But really, it is not high on my list of things to do. Practicing and stump shooting is what I really enjoy the most. Besides hunting of course.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2024, 02:50:59 PM »
Stump shooting is my preference, but I don't have easy or relatively close access to places to do it so I do attend quite a few 3-D shoots.  Before 3-D, archery clubs would sponsor broadhead shoots that involved shooting at cardboard animal silhouettes placed in front of dirt or sand bunkers.  I prefer that to 3-D as well, but few clubs offer such shoots anymore. 

Difficult to say whether overall interest in 3-D shots is increasing or waning.  Don't seem to be as many folks at any one shoot anymore.  On the other hand, a lot more clubs are offering trad only 3-D shoots so there are a lot more (often competing)choices available.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2024, 03:20:27 PM »
The events I attend seem to be doing well in the attendance arena. I don't know how much shooting the attendees are doing or if they are more there to socialize and shop.
I enjoy shooting the 3d events but am typically not as motivated after long days of selling and short nights of socializing.
The events are a great thing for meeting new friends and promoting traditional archery. Anybody can stay reclusive and stump shoot.. it takes effort to support.
bigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2024, 03:46:03 PM »
I really enjoy the 3D shoots. There are not many local at all any more so a buddy or 2 will travel with me to some of the bigger ones close enough for us to make. Make 5-6 hours drive for a multi day event. I just like shooting them.
But I regard any shooting as practice so as summer goes on I switch to roaming the woods shooting at leaves and such to practice, plus the fact the most shoots we do are in the spring and early summer.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2024, 03:53:44 PM »
Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy the 3D shoots, especially Cloverdale. It’s just that they aren’t a priority anymore. The thing that I am most interested by is that 3 of the best hunters I know don’t care to shoot at the 3D shoots. They attend for the fellowship, conversation and the food, but have no interest in shooting.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2024, 03:58:38 PM »
I enjoy 3D shoots for what they really are, target shoots. I used to subscribe to the “practice for hunting “ theory but today’s 3D has outgrown that idea. I really never got into stump shooting for lack of a place and the unfriendly terrain I deal with. It is also illegal to shoot Cactus here. Unfortunately we don’t have the amount of clubs here like we used to so any 3D shoots are a must for me.

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2024, 04:01:37 PM »
I’m retired.
Most of my day is just me and the pup since my bride still works.
I enjoy the fellowship of the shoots as it helps keep me from going feral.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2024, 07:01:58 PM »
I've never really cared to be around a bunch of people when I shoot.  Unless I make a real effort to block them out, they intrude.   

I'd rather shoot stumps, or my own targets, and that way I can visualize them as hunting shots much more easily in my head.  I like moving through the woods or fields as if I'm hunting for real.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2024, 07:27:08 PM »
I enjoy seeing friends at the 3D shoots and I go to quite a few.  I enjoy more shooting at an old NFAA course with bales instead of 3D targets.  A handful of us will shoot at whatever happens to be on the bale, many times balloons will be the target and we normally shoot brushy shots that are more what you have hunting.  Also shooting stumps and such is more fun to me than 3D if I can find another shooter to compete with. 

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2024, 08:41:28 PM »
I enjoy events like Compton more than just 3D shoots.  I've always preferred just shooting by myself or with a friend or two.  Have always by nature been a very competitive personality, but trad archery/hunting is for me an intensely personal pursuit, and I'm not the same at a 3D shoot around others as I am when alone.  Seems like I've only been to perhaps four or five 3D shoots in 20 years.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2024, 10:12:43 PM »
My bowhunting mentor (now sadly deceased) and I got in hot water at a shoot where we placed the 3-D targets in the woodlots beside the cleared shooting lanes . . . so archers had to take cover and branches into account.  They eventually pretty much evicted traditional bow shooters, especially wood arrow users, from the club.  We were not allowed to "practice on the outdoor targets".  Because we "left too large a hole in the targets and the glue-on points came off in the bales and foam." 

It didn't help when I stated at a club meeting: "I never leave points in targets . . . I dig them out with a knife."    :biglaugh:

The good news is that that, plus the furniture company whose 6,000 acres previously open to hunters but now divided into hunting leases, inspired my wife & I to buy a home with 20 acres of woods on a hilltop surrounded by lots more woods and few posted signs.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2024, 12:14:38 AM »
Mike you remember all those mugs we used to shoot with 2 nights a week in Tulsa? Then we’d hit 3D shoots on the weekend?  You know how many of those guys I talk to now?  None. No clue what happened but everyone went their own ways, died, quit shooting or something or other. But used to be, we rolled up to a 3D shoot in 3 packed vehicles, and had a blast.  I’d love to do that again but to me, those shoots just aren’t as fun by myself.  I need someone there to verbally abuse me and tell me it’s my turn to pull arrows. I can shoot targets by myself in my backyard, but I liked 3D events to have fun with the guys. 

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2024, 09:53:29 AM »
Cam, we had a lot of fun! Doesn't seem like it's been that long ago, but it's pushing 20 years now. That was the longest duration that I worked out of state and the furthest from home. Meeting up with you guys kept me sane! We need to make a plan to get together sometime. I will be heading out to Tulsa to visit my brother sometime early next year. I'll message you once I come up with a date.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2024, 09:53:39 AM »
Mike you remember all those mugs we used to shoot with 2 nights a week in Tulsa? Then we’d hit 3D shoots on the weekend?  You know how many of those guys I talk to now?  None. No clue what happened but everyone went their own ways, died, quit shooting or something or other. But used to be, we rolled up to a 3D shoot in 3 packed vehicles, and had a blast.  I’d love to do that again but to me, those shoots just aren’t as fun by myself.  I need someone there to verbally abuse me and tell me it’s my turn to pull arrows. I can shoot targets by myself in my backyard, but I liked 3D events to have fun with the guys.

That pretty much sums it up for me too.  I shot with the same two guys for more than ten years, with usually a couple of extra guys tagging along too.  So with 5 guys on the average, we had plenty of guys for mutual harassment and it was always a lot of fun.  But nothing's  forever, and now neither of the two regulars nor many of the occasionals still shoot.  There are a few younger guys I shoot with occasionally, but nothing like before.

As far as practice is concerned, I go to my club with my dog just about every morning and get more high quality practice at less cost, time, and wear and tear on my truck than going to a 3D event.  But I do miss the socialization.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2024, 01:39:04 PM »
Being able to tune out your buddies when getting ready to take a shot is good practice for concentrating and not letting outside mess with you.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2024, 06:57:53 PM »
I used to shoot 3D fanatically. Loved it. I still enjoy it but enjoy crowds less n less.
Fortunately my is club part of a multi club group putting on 3D events all summer and leaves out the course for members. I go on off weekends. That’s my favorite type shoot now. Alone mostly, maybe my girl or a friend, a styk, string and mushroom bag.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2024, 08:21:45 PM »
There's a group of us that shoot on Tuesday nights every week in the summer and I absolutely love it. Just a group of old timers and a couple of us younger guys sprinkled in. I enjoy my time with those guys and I know they ain't gonna be around forever. I hope someone continues to run it when they're gone but I just don't see the interest in enough young people around here. I think 3d shoots will be a thing of the past except for wheel bows.
That being said, I often find myself taking my 3d shooting way too seriously and my accuracy suffers. I'm competing against myself, and expect myself to shoot well on every shot. It simply isn't possible. One way I've overcome this is to just focus on form when shooting and forget about the score.

Offline Jegs.mich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2024, 08:58:13 PM »
Hunting, stump shooting , 3d. They all have a different flavor and are very good Days. Here's a stumping picture the bow on the right is mine, bow on the left belongs to my good friend John Tussing of JT traditional archery.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 09:02:38 PM by Jegs.mich »
Psalms 127:3-5 New International Version (NIV)
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©