3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Stands and Life Lines  (Read 750 times)

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tree Stands and Life Lines
« on: August 31, 2024, 02:25:01 PM »
For those of you that set up your tree stands way early and then let them sit so they will become accepted by the deer in the area, here is something to check.

I checked my tree stands this morning and part of that routine is always checking the life lines. Well, I found a little wasp nest inside of the protective hood on each lifeline. Imagine what a surprise that would have been on opening morning. I carefully shooed the wasps away, removed the nests, and cut off the rubber hoods.

I had not imagined that those little rubber hoods would hide a wasp nest. From now on I will cut the hoods off before I put up the lifelines.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 02:30:24 PM by smokin joe »
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Stands and Life Lines
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2024, 05:00:46 PM »
When dealing with tree stands you can never be too cautious. :deadhorse:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2024, 06:56:20 PM »
What Charlie said, also watch for spiders too, them little fellers can be sneaky.   :campfire:

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2024, 07:07:30 PM »
If I used those rubber covers in my woods, the wasps would never have time to make a nest. The squirrels would have already chewed them to pieces ! But, I did find out that covering your tree stand seat with a plastic bag provides an excellent cover for mice !

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2024, 09:12:38 AM »
Check everything.  Lines, straps, and webbing can fray, buckles, clips, and carabiners can become worn and compromised, ladders and stands can rust, rungs can weaken, and most importantly, check the tree.  Trees can weaken from age, storms, insect infestations, and from other trees that may have fallen and damaged the one you're going to be in.  Be safe, your family needs you.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2024, 10:09:56 AM »
Yes, Mike. The new lifelines came with those little rubber covers on the prussic knots. I thought nothing of them until I went to hook up to one and a bunch of wasps came out looking for someone to sting. I did see that one of them had some chew marks on it, probably from squirrels. I suspect the wasps ran the squirrels off and kept the squirrels from doing more damage.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online Kodiak Fan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2024, 12:03:23 PM »
On my first few hunts of the season, I carry a can of hornet spray that shoots 20'.  I've had a few epic battles 20' up.  Good hunting Joe.   JV
JAV

Offline John Cholin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2024, 04:08:19 PM »
I just make my own Prussic knot and skip the rubber weasel.

JMC
My best friend is my dog,
my best bow is my Bear Cheyenne.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2024, 03:39:53 PM »
I never leave the carabiner on the lifeline and just have one attached to my harness so i never used the rubber hoods.

I'll be changing my straps this year on my stands but how long do you think those lifelines last? They look in great shape but I always wonder how can you tell if they need replacing?
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2024, 10:01:39 AM »
Check for fraying, wear and tear, rubs where it makes contact with surfaces, and dry rot.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2024, 08:55:52 AM »
I cut that rubber sleeve off as well......I don't need/want it.  I do not use the steel D ring that comes with the line......I replace that with a higher quality aluminum one,  mostly to reduce weight because I carry that in and out with me on my safety harness......I do not leave a D ring on the line ........ so I do not need that sleeve to protect what isn't there.  ( I always assume the only purpose for the sleeve was to protect the D ring)
I don't mess around with tree stand safety any more,  as I did when I was younger ......... setting them up with no climbing belt,  stand in one hand,  tree in the other,  straps and tools in my pockets,  zero regard for falling.  I've quit while I was ahead with all that and now I don't cut any corners.  And it's important that my young ones see me doing it the right/safe way,  so they will follow suite.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Flbowhunter, twobows and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©