3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your 3 preferred hunting longbows  (Read 1392 times)

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Your 3 preferred hunting longbows
« on: September 02, 2024, 07:37:05 AM »
Long time bowhunter but mostly a recurve guy. I would take your opinions about your HUNTING prefered longbows and why.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your 3 preferred hunting longbows
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2024, 10:48:25 AM »
(1) Black Widow PL II 2 pc, 62", 45# @ 28", wood arrows, extremely quiet.
(3) Centaur Triple Elite Carbon, 58", 40# @ 28", 1916's, quick but not as quiet.
(3) Northern Mist Ramer, 64",  42# @ 28", wood arrows, quiet.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2024, 12:55:55 PM »
1. Northern Mist Skanee 3 piece with 55# at 28" limbs that make a 66" bow for elk

2. Northern Mist Skanee 3 piece with 52#at 28" limbs that make a 62" bow for deer

3. Northern Mist Skanee 3 piece with 45# at 28" limbs that make a 60" bow for turkey

very quiet bow with just a bit more mass weight that I like, and the grip is the same no matter what set of limbs I have on it.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2024, 01:18:41 PM »
Close between the first two...
1. Centaur longbow, 62" and 43"@28"
2. Black Widow PL 62" and 42#@28" (do not have one at this weight, but have had others in a heavier weight)
3. Thunderstick MOAB 60" and 53#28" (sold the MOAB, bow shoulder couldn't handle the weight anymore)
Looking to pick up another PL in the weight range noted above. Hunted with PLs exclusively for 10 years. Had Widow reduce the weight as much as they could and hunted with them for another 5 years. Have taken more game with a PL than all of the other bows I've owned. The MOAB was a great bow and if I could find one in the low 40# range I'd buy it! Centaur is new to me and so far we are getting along pretty well.>>>---------->
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online blackpowderscout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2024, 04:50:55 PM »
TimberHawk Odyssey

It just feels right in my hands. I shoot it good. It pulls amazing. Looks great too. I’ve had another set of limbs made so I’ve got heavy and light for whatever I feel like. Scott is a real nice guy and easy to work with. He’s at all the big events if you want to try his stuff out.

I traded off a Tall Tines Stickflinger and sold a Schafer because I liked the TimberHawk better. The Tall Tines was hard to let go of though  ;)

My buddy had a Centaur that I was close to trying to get off of him. It was a really, really good shooting bow but I didn’t like the effort it took to string it. That’s really a minor gripe and personal preference so definitely look at them too.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2024, 05:00:09 PM by blackpowderscout »

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2024, 04:57:21 PM »
Robertson primal styk, got 3 and they’re accurate and relatively quiet.
 Toelke whips. These are becoming my most used bows. One in the 50s, had 2 in the 40s but sold one. I bought the 44pounder for bigger 3D events but dang do I enjoy that bow. Something about the whips are super easy on my beat up shoulders too.
I shoot that light bow like I did when I was a kid. All day out back and constant returning to shoot some more. Hard bows to put down
I should add, you put HUNTING in bold type to emphasize. I didn’t originally order the bow as stated for anything but 3D but quickly changed my mind about it
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2024, 05:14:00 PM »
I have a beautiful Mohawk longbow from Vince. Second would be my Holm Made Osprey. The last would be a three piece Bingham I built.

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2024, 07:23:23 PM »
Toelke- Whip, Whistler or Pika
Firefly Messenger
Pronghorn

Offline Jegs.mich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2024, 07:49:13 PM »
JT traditional Zeus 48@28 64". Excellent craftsmanship and easy to shoot accurately. This is my 3-d and hunting bow. I know there are a lot of good choices out there but the JT is special to me.
Psalms 127:3-5 New International Version (NIV)
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2024, 10:01:48 PM »
1.  Bivouac bows (Jim Belcher) Union Jack or Hill Jack
2.  Northern Mist Classic or Shelton
3.  St. Patrick Lake American Stick or Mushin

I’ve hunted with all type of longbows. I’ve come back to the ones I like the best - the ASL style. There are a lot of excellent reflex/deflex bows out there and I’m partial to Dick Robertson’s bows but ASLs are special to me.
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."    - Oscar Wilde

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2024, 10:32:31 PM »
My first choice for elk this year is a Toelke Chinook @ 52#, but that's a recurve and this is about longbows so I won't mention it.
First choice longbow for elk would be the Black Widow PL, 62" 53#. This is one of Mike Bolin's beloved PL III's, one that he hadn't reduced weight on yet. I sent it to the  boys in Nixa and they took it from 58 to 53 lbs. It's like a new bow now.
Second choice, anything smaller than elk, is the Toelke Pika, 54", 50#. Compact little firecracker that is the smoothest drawing most accurate bow I've ever dropped a string on.
Third choice is the Centaur longbow, 60", 50#. A new to me bow I got in a trade. Caught me by surprise how good this bow is, very light, extremely quiet, a grip that fits like a glove, and very fast. It's actually got me thinking about a Triple Carbon Elite longbow after talking with Jim Neaves. And if that happens, the above ranking would probably change.  :archer2:
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2024, 09:54:21 AM »
My Wild Horse Creek Destiny 49#
my Wild Horse Creek Destiny 43#
Mohawk longbow 52#
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2024, 10:27:35 AM »
Toelke Lynx 3 piece TD 49@27.  It is quiet as a mouse and shoots where i point it. 2nd would be my Cari-Bow Peregrine 49@27. Both are 62 inches.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2024, 10:59:55 AM »
Like so many of us shot tons of bows.  But I always come back to these for hunting:
#1 sunset hill 66" 55#@28" Nate made me this how long ago and still sweet shooter.
#2 Northern mist American' 66" 55#@28" Steve put this bow in my hand at Kalzoo and fell in love.  Quiet,quick, points and forgiving.  This has seen more timber time than any other.  Waiting on a takedown.
#3 Thunderstruck III, 62" 55"@28".  Jim made a great bow and never found a MOAB, but this bow is a classic.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2024, 09:40:54 PM »

Pronghorn T/D 62" 51# @ 28
   Robertson Primal Styk 64"  53# @ 28
   Marriah Chinook 66" 55# @ 28"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2024, 10:16:36 AM »
Wild Horse Creek Destiny ,Caribow Slynx
« Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 05:29:42 AM by Terry Lightle »
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2024, 12:29:30 PM »
The Sasquatch TD hybrid longbow would be my choice.

Why?

1)  Narrow deep core limbs, that can be taken down easily with a push/pull method in the field.
2)  Overall bow length is shorter and allows use in a blind or brushy conditions much better.
3)  The shape of the limbs pointed straight up and down allows going through brushy areas smoothly without hanging up.
4) High performance, and smooth draw, even to extreme draw lengths.
5) A custom grip can be shaped to fit your hand perfectly and accommodate your shooting style. This can be a simple low wrist locator shape, or a sculptured grip with a beveled  thumb pad location to accommodate your wrist rotation perfectly.

More photos below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9Je82UHTrGkZpnEF8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/u2xWDjA2qPDZ48WaA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xg21mwX7HL18zcpi6

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2024, 01:52:50 PM »
Mine are as follows:

1.) Black Widow PLX 62" 45@28 It's been my go to for a few years now. Have the Toby grip on it.  I'm ok with it on a 3d course, but hunting I've been lights out.  (literally)
2.) Any of the Northern Mists I've had. Ramer, 64" American 66", Classic 68 were all fantastic.  Fit and finish are second to none. Feel great in your hand whether it be locator, straight, or dished grip.  Great drawing bows, too.  Steve is a master at his craft.  THE best ASL's I have personally shot.
3.) Timberhawk Falcon 64" very smooth bow and look great.  Scott is a super nice guy to talk to and has good stories!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2024, 09:45:55 PM »
I only have one longbow.  A Dick Palmer modified Martin M-10 to make his "Hunter" version.  It hasn't been off the pegs in 25 years.  I am of the high-grip genetic breed and we never agreed on a suitable performance.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 09:51:25 PM by Stumpkiller »
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline rjg1963md

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2024, 02:19:51 PM »
I'll play.

Swiftwood osage flatbow - Exceptional craftsmanship. Quick for a selfbow. Very quiet shooting bow.

Huntworthy Productions (James Parker) bamboo backed and bellied longbow - Exceptional craftmanship and unique finish. Very smooth draw and great performance for an all wood laminated bow. It's got that "cool factor"

Original Adcock ACS CX 1pc longbow - Performance pure and simple

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©