3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OK bowyers, Catalpa ?  (Read 261 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
OK bowyers, Catalpa ?
« on: May 21, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
Have you ever put catalpa wood lams in a glass bow? Its VERY light weight,so would make a fast limb,how long would it last???
Thanks,Kenny
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OK bowyers, Catalpa ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
A good question, come on there has to be some answers out there.

Car
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
try it and find out....Kenny can you post a pic of it?

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
Sal,I don't have the board,saw some at the kiln,couldn't believe how lightweight it was,trouble is,it's 80 miles away!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
I have wondered about this wood too Kenny. I is often planted in groves near homesteads and was used for fence posts - like osage, black locust, eastern red cedar and even yew. See a pattern here?

What is this connection between rot and insect resistance and good bow wood?

Offline stump man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
I built one for a fella back in the 90's when I was building bows.  It was a laminated  clear glass straight limbed longbow.  The guy brought the wood to me and I made the laminations myself(three pair lam longbows).  Seems his Great grandfather had planted it on the family homestead back in the 1800's and for whatever reason it was being cut down and it had sentemental value to this guy so he wanted a bow from it.  At first I was leary, it was just feather light and I wasn't sure if it would hold up. He said build it anyway and that he wouldn't hold me to any warranties if anything happend to it or him.  Machineing the lams was like powder comming off them instead of sawdust it was so light and dry.  It was very porius on glue up and the glue (smooth on) just sucked into it, so much so I was afraid I might end up with a void under the clear glass (be liberal with your glue).  But it turned out ok!  In fact I ran into the guy just a couple months ago and he said it was still shooting good after 10 years!

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
they have good catfish bait in them too. (worms that live in the tree)
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
Yep Shaun,I was lookin at that very pattern. It is so light,that is what is intriguing me with it.
 Thank you stump man!! Next trip to the kiln I will have a couple boards of it! The sawdust powder sounds like cedar and a bowyer just told me he really likes the way cedar shoots! I just cleared a fencerow of it and laid the trees where the old gentleman could cut posts out of it,so I may have to go buy a couple logs off him!

Thanks again guys!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Stumpknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
We have "katawba" trees around my Dad's and Grandpa's place in south GA, but haven't seen any worms in probably 10 years.  We used to fish with them on poles and trot lines, but my guess is that pesticides did them in my area.  It's a shame, cause they're pretty caterpillars and great fishbait.  I'd love to see a pic of the bow made from this wood.  I can sure appreciate how the fella who had his made feels about it.  Homesick  :(   But I'm leaving crazy FL and heading up to God's country in the morning!  Tge
Let's go to the woods and learn things about life (Penelope, age 4, to me).  

plx osage 62" 56@28
sax bocote 60" 54@28
Morrison Shawnee 56" 56@28

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
A lot of the catalpa trees were planted for fence post as they grow fast and straight.. However they rot in the ground just about as fast.. Because they dry so light and hard, they do make good gate posts, and will last years when not stuck in the ground.
I love the fragrance of their flower, and in the winter I have seen deer feeding on the fallen leaves quite often.. they look like they are eating a pancake when they chew on one.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
I grew up with  catalpa trees in my backyard. They sure didn't seem very straight or strong. You might make a veneer for lams but they don't seem to be a very good choice.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 12:13:00 AM »
Mine weren't very straight or strong either owlbait.  They grow along the creek banks in places here.  I know where there are a few groves people keep for the worms.  Most of those trees are trimmed to keep them short.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©