3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Neck knife or sheath knife?  (Read 1251 times)

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Neck knife or sheath knife?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2024, 03:26:35 AM »
Whenever I'm out and about, out of town, I always have a sheathed fixed blade on my belt.  I've needed a knife quickly a few times in the past, and I know at my waist, its to hand in a hurry, using only ONE hand. 

Lately, mostly, its been an M95 Peltonen.   Light, great sheath, and sharp as hell.  Great design, as is the shorter version. 

Neck knives are a no for me, saw a guy nearly hang himself with one years ago, going steep downhill in thick brush.  The advice up top is good, or wear it on something breakable.

In town, I always have a carbon opinel folder in a jacket pocket.  light, unobtrusive, sharp, and I like the lock system.

When I was hunting bigger stuff, I usually had a Grohman skinner, in the pack.   Quite a few of the hardcore guys here, guides and ex-guides, use Havalons. 

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2024, 08:46:02 AM »
A no to neck knives, for stated reasons. I carry a small fixed blade on my pack strap, and a one handed folder in my pants pocket.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2024, 12:33:59 PM »

I wear a neck knife but not when I'm hunting. I superstitiously intentionally do not take a knife with me. Weird I know. I have gutted many deer with my broadheads.
I did buy a Orange knife this year. Lost a knife last year after a kill gut job on a muzzleloader deer. That makes 2 lost over the years
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Jegs.mich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2024, 01:41:38 PM »

I wear a neck knife but not when I'm hunting. I superstitiously intentionally do not take a knife with me. Weird I know. I have gutted many deer with my broadheads.
I did buy a Orange knife this year. Lost a knife last year after a kill gut job on a muzzleloader deer. That makes 2 lost over the years
Doug I had to do the job with a broadhead one time. I remember my knife now :goldtooth:
Psalms 127:3-5 New International Version (NIV)
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2024, 02:42:42 PM »
Twice I almost lost my hunting knives. Both times I field dressed a buck and laid the knife down and forgot about the knife and started dragging the buck out. After a couple hundred yards I remembered I forgot my knife and went back to get it. I had a heck of a time finding them because both knives had a matt finish on them. The one knife was my U.S. Airforce Survival Knife (pictured) that I carried the 8 years I served in the U.S Army. I went into panic mode until I found it because it had sentimental value to me. I fixed the problem by buying an orange Mora Light My Fire Knife (pictured). Have had no trouble spotting it in the woods.  :goldtooth:
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Online Bluefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2024, 12:02:04 AM »
I always hunt with a backpack, fanny pack or Cat Quiver with either an Enzo Trapper or Benchmade Puukko in it. Also carry a folding knife of some kind in my pocket or on my belt

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2024, 07:33:58 PM »
I keep two sheath knives in my pack, a smaller Western that was my dad’s and really holds an edge and a cheaper Mora knife. I use both for field dressing. I really don’t like anything hanging off my belt, catching on brush. In my pocket I keep a Swiss Army super tinker pocket knife that I carry every day.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2024, 07:40:26 PM »
I also keep one of the little RADA sharpeners in my pack with my knives to touch up the blades if necessary.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2024, 11:26:20 PM »
I usually wear a neck knife while in the woods.  When hunting I also carry at least one sheath knife, for hogs I'll carry a larger sheath knife worn scout style across the back of my belt.  For longer multi day hunts I'll have a couple sheath knives in my pack, as well.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2024, 07:03:09 AM »
If I could have only one knife it would be an assisted opening folder clipped in my front pocket. It’s out of the way but easily accessible in emergencies and opens with one hand. I do carry a sheath knife in my pack for dressings game. An assisted opening would need a very good cleaning after.my hunting is mostly tree stand or the Waldrop PAC Seat and sheath knives are prone to rub or bump on things while sitting. If I
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online Mo_coon-catcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2024, 09:18:56 AM »
I prefer a medium sized fixed blade. I frequently pick a different spot to sit and wait m, so it’s handy to have an easy access knot with enough mass to clip those little branches and multifloral rose vines what love to catch when your turning for a shot.

Kyle

Offline Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2024, 08:07:19 PM »
All the above and then some.

Knives are my weakness so I have every option and then some so I’ll just say hi my name is Tim and I have a problem  :biglaugh:
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Online Even

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2024, 11:40:51 PM »
Problem?  Pshaw! 

You can never have too many knives ;)

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2024, 09:28:49 AM »
Neck knife round the neck,  sheath knife or folder (or both) in the pack.   Always have 2 knives when I'm toting any sort of pack.  On the rare occasion I'm traveling super light and do not have any sort of pack,  I'd probably have just the folder.   I'll forego the neck knife if I'm only wearing 1 layer up top in hotter weather,  shooting the bow.  I don't like the necker tucked under my shirt if it ends up being against bare skin.   If I can have it between 2 layers, good to go.   Lots of considerations depending on the situation and several favorite blades to accommodate each.   Good thing I like knives  :biglaugh:

Online JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2024, 12:28:51 AM »
I carry a buck 110 in my pack and a knife in my harness in case of an emergency

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2024, 09:27:39 AM »
Problem?  Pshaw! 

You can never have too many knives ;)

I agree 100%. Some of mine.
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2024, 10:22:12 AM »
I have a couple of knives that could be carried as a neck knife but I don't ever carry one that way. With binoculars and different quivers and packs the neck just seems too busy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©