3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snuffer question for Ryan  (Read 434 times)

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Snuffer question for Ryan
« on: September 25, 2024, 03:14:12 PM »
I have developed a decent collection of originals. Your Dad hit a home run when he developed these heads.

I was wondering if you may be able to help me date them. I've also noticed some differences in some of the head design, for example some of the back edges are thinner and more rounded where the cut out is, others are more straight with a thicker back edge.  I am just curious about them and I enjoy learning the history about them. Thank you.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snuffer question for Ryan
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2024, 03:54:19 PM »
Yup the one on the right with the squared inside cutouts is of an older, original design. Even older would be one without the pin in the tip and the very first ones were close to 190 grains.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2024, 09:51:10 PM »
Kelly’s right (as usual) 😁. One on the right is older and has the pin instead of cone tip, the ones in packaging I’d say mid-late 80’s, the one on the right a bit older. The original ones had no pin or cone in tip and the way back ones would be silver soldered instead of copper brazed. I’d bust open the card packs and use em! 

R

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2024, 06:49:27 AM »
Ryan,
Is there still a patent on them? Why in the heck is one of today's manufactures not making a replica? The 3 blades of today are really nice, but some more width would be great.
Tedd

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2024, 06:54:03 AM »
Also, with today's 3 blades, they are heavy, for their width. And they are few glue on choices for wood shafts. A 125-135-145 gr wide 3 blade glue on, does not exist!
I think I'll go on a Snuffer search.
Tedd

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2024, 09:10:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies fellas. Man I love these broadheads.

Way ahead of ya Ryan I already busted open the older pack with the square cut outs! What was the reasoning behind changing the cut out?
Also the square cut out heads seem bigger to me.

Online Rob Emerson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2024, 07:59:11 PM »
+1 for shooting them while wearing a flat brim hat
+1 if you aim for the middle
+1 if it has a rattle can primer finish

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2024, 09:21:46 PM »
I’d imagine the change in cutouts had to do with more easily stamping out the blades.  The old ones all have the right hardness to the steel, after Dad sold the business there were some runs of heads that were hard or soft.

I think I saw you, Rob E, in the Seattle airport one time….kind of a short stocky guy with a coal black beard and a flat brim cap? Looked like a bald head under the cap,  but I don’t think you were packing Snuffers….struck me more like a single bevel guy 😆.

R

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2024, 08:47:31 AM »
Looks like I have the older square back. For anyone who hasn't logged a Snuffer kill, it is interesting to say the least. I have killed deer with 10 different heads that all did their job, but there is something unique about a Snuffer kill. For me it was always more of all the desire ables...blood, short recovery, quick death and super penetration along with easy sharpening.

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2024, 09:05:52 AM »
Looks like I have the older square back. For anyone who hasn't logged a Snuffer kill, it is interesting to say the least. I have killed deer with 10 different heads that all did their job, but there is something unique about a Snuffer kill. For me it was always more of all the desire ables...blood, short recovery, quick death and super penetration along with easy sharpening.
It just don't get any better than a snuffer kill! I wish I had bought more in my younger years, they aren't so easy to find these days. Especially the originals.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2024, 01:08:47 PM »
Tedd, never was a patent on them as far as I know.

The hardest part to replicate to produce these heads is the die for the tapered ferrule. To reproduce that die in todays money would cost you close to mid six figures.

Last I knew someone in Mississippi or Louisiana owns the rights to the Snuffer, its tooling including this ferrule die, as well as all the former glue on Magnus broadheads.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Users currently browsing this topic:

azhunter, Preston Lay, matt steed, buckeyebowhunter, mnbwhtr and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©