3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My 2024 Alaska Solo Moose Hunt  (Read 342 times)

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
My 2024 Alaska Solo Moose Hunt
« on: September 27, 2024, 01:26:22 PM »
I just finished my 11th solo moose hunt in Alaska. I was in the bush for 20 days this time. Weather was great the first few days, but then typical Alaskan weather set in with at least some rain over part of 16 days. There were times when I was socked in the tent for 48 hours at a time. You can hunt in light rain, mist, and fog, but hard rain combined with wind would chase me back to camp. This area has some slight elevation, but cow calling, cow-in-heat calling, or bull grunts covers 95% of my hunting tactic.
On the second day of the season, I called in a bull that looked wide enough (greater than 50 inches) to be legal, but he had few points on the palms which had folds and groves, and broomed off at top. He reminded me of an older bull past his prime. Since it was the start of the season, I decided to pass up this bull and opted to film him. I bull grunted and cow called him in to 12 yards. The wind direction was essentially zero, and my wind indicator puff just rose upward in the fog.  Later on in the day, I moved to a different calling location and once again called in this same bull. He was a little more aggressive this time, and once he finally noticed me hiding behind a small spruce tree, he laid his ears back, lowered his head and made a half-hearted charge at me. I had to stop filming and start yelling at him. Once he left, I was kind of relieved. I called this bull in several more times over the first two weeks, and he even chased me once again, and one morning walked 40 yards pasted my tent.

The bull that charged me after I passed it up several times.

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My 2024 Alaska Solo Moose Hunt
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2024, 01:36:42 PM »
Toward the end of the trip the rainy weather broke and I had a couple days of clear sky with morning temps in the low 20s with highs in the 40s. I got back to calling and noticed a bull high up on the ridge face about ¾ miles away on the last day of the season. I loudly cow-in-heat called, and it immediately turned its head exposing large wide antlers. Since I knew it could hear me, I called more, bulled grunted, and raked and pounded a spruce tree with fiberglass call. The bull was coming toward me but went out of sight in the spruce after travelling 150 yards. Knowing the train was up and down and full of spruce, I started calling even louder and with more force in hopes of keeping the bulls attention. After about 5 to 8 minutes, I heard a bull grunt to my left and saw a bull break into the open on a nob about 400 yards away. I don’t think the bull could have gotten to me that quickly, so I assumed this was a different bull. He looked wide, but only had two-point brows. He came across the bottom and crossed through a tag alder thicket, grunting all the way. He was coming! He got to bowl below me and started to come up the ridge I was calling from. He was a legal bull, and I slipped down through the spruce to meet him. I heard him grunting and breaking brush so I had a good ideal where he was. Slicing between two spruce trees, I broke into the open almost at the same time as the bull crested the razorback ridge at 18 yards broadside. My arrow was already nocked, so I drew and shot, striking the bull in the chest. He ran down hill, rounded the end of the ridge, crossed an open grassy bog and died just before getting into the tag alders. I took some photos, cut and bagged the moose meat, and started packing the meat back up hill. It took ten trips, 22 hours of packing, to get the bull back to camp. This concluded an emotionally, mentally, and physically draining hunt. But the excitement and rewards were higher than any hunt I can remember. Mike

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2024, 01:41:19 PM »

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2024, 01:53:33 PM »
Wow! Thanks for sharing the hunt with us.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online ehartunian

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2024, 01:59:57 PM »
Fantastic story and cograts on your bull. Where abouts in AK were you? I was stationed near Fairbanks back in 2000- I really miss it there!
Best,
Eric

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2024, 02:17:07 PM »
Congrats. Fantastic scenery..

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2024, 02:17:21 PM »
Wow!

Congratulations on a beautiful bull!

Thanks for recapping your hunt and sharing those beautiful photos.

:campfire:
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Online bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2024, 02:28:46 PM »
Congratulations Mike!  You are the man.  Cannot imagine 48 hours alone in a tent.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2024, 02:32:02 PM »
So happy for you, great job. :shaka:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2024, 02:44:11 PM »
Congrats! That's awesome!

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2024, 02:47:00 PM »

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2024, 02:50:56 PM »

Online Rob Emerson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2024, 02:56:20 PM »
Nice bull!  Is that Sitka Thunderhead rain gear you’re wearing?

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2024, 02:58:02 PM »
Beautiful, Mike! Congratulations!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2024, 03:36:53 PM »
Incredible Mike. Congrats on a fantastic hunt. I don't know how you do it !

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2024, 03:49:52 PM »
Rob, Yes Sitka ThunderHead rain gear. I wore it 80% of the time. Either raining or the dwarf birch and willow brush is wet. Mike

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2024, 04:35:48 PM »
Congratulations Mike thank you for sharing the story and photos!!!
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2024, 04:52:34 PM »
Congratulations Mike, thanks for sharing.

As always, You Done Good….Really Good.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2024, 06:21:15 PM »
Think about doing these adventures alone eleven times. Very impressive Mike. Then think about packing a big bull out yourself for 22 hours total. Where are your brothers when you need them? Ha. Being gone for almost three weeks at a time, I have to admit I worry about you. I know if there's anyone I don't have to worry about it's you. I guess it's fear of the unknown. I also know it's a huge part of why you do it. Congrats my friend. Another great job... again. Ain't retirement great? BW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©