3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fata Morgana  (Read 757 times)

Offline SpeRo

• Trad Bowhunter
Fata Morgana
« on: October 03, 2024, 07:06:52 AM »
I think we prefer not to talk about these kinds of events because it could taint our credibility as predators.
I come to the facts.
Last night, first archery outing of the season with my father, I returned to my hunting territory after 1 year of exile and a season without hunting. Diligent training and 3D courses all year round. I was waiting for this opening, after drinking in stories and hunting planning. Yesterday we were ready, we stationed ourselves relatively early a few hundred meters from each other. Everyone has their own field, a promising area, my father having seen traffic recently and a water point in the undergrowth makes it the ideal place to start the season well. 2 hours waiting for the sunset sitting on the edge of the field, convinced and attentive I scrutinize the slightest movement and the slightest noise. I analyze the shapes that might fail me when darkness comes. We have arrived there, the long-awaited twilight. I hear something break 50m in front of me, I prepare myself but it is almost dark, my vision is failing and I feel that the moment of verdict is here. This unidentified game is slow to come out, I'm getting impatient.
I turn my head, and I see a hare in the middle of the field, 30m away. I analyze it, I have a doubt, I tell myself that I didn't hear anything, but from experience it has already happened to me several times to turn my head for 10 seconds and see the hares appear at dusk . I am not sure at all and as if to remove this doubt I see him tapping his paw, convinced that it is now or never as the King would say, I cock my bow and I shoot my first arrow. It passes a few centimeters, he doesn't move, I say to myself the bastard he's taunting me, I shoot a second one quite nervously I miss it completely and as if caught in a whirlwind of chess I release my third and final arrow. I will see the result, I had targeted a plant…
Aware of the laughable nature of the situation and my lack of composure, I return to the car where my father is waiting for me, telling him about my failure.
At home we call it Fata Morgana or quite simply a mirage.
I allowed myself to be overwhelmed by the proud impulse to collect. But I'm not beating myself up, it makes me laugh softly, it takes such shitty anecdotes, but I still wondered if I had the maturity necessary for a bow hunter. :knothead:
And have you guys already given in to mirages?
Bear Custom Kodiak TD 52# 28"
Black Widow PSA 3 66# 28"
Great Plains Longbow R/D Bamboo 55# 28"

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fata Morgana
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2024, 02:29:46 PM »
Very similar thing happened to me Deer hunting. I was in a ground blind. Turned my head to the right and saw this big buck. He was maybe 20 yards away. I glanced away for second then looked back, no buck, no nothing. Not the first time I had a similar experience. Had a few in Vietnam at night. I swear the “minds eye” converts your thoughts into images. I tried telling these experiences to a head doctor once, he looked at me like I was from another planet.

Offline SpeRo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2024, 05:52:39 PM »
Very similar thing happened to me Deer hunting. I was in a ground blind. Turned my head to the right and saw this big buck. He was maybe 20 yards away. I glanced away for second then looked back, no buck, no nothing. Not the first time I had a similar experience. Had a few in Vietnam at night. I swear the “minds eye” converts your thoughts into images. I tried telling these experiences to a head doctor once, he looked at me like I was from another planet.

Obviously it is the tension and the distressing atmosphere that the darkness in the forest creates that makes us see what we want to see. Crazy or not the brain's capacity for persuasion is astounding.
Then for once it is better to shoot a few arrows at an imaginary rabbit rather than letting go of a burst at a Viet ghost.
Respect for your service.
Your nickname makes more sense now…

Offline SpeRo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2024, 01:08:59 PM »
This one was real!
First collect with a bow.
Opening of the season with this little pheasant.
Great sensations, shooting at 25m.
Custom Kodiak 52#, 485 grain Beeman Centershot with a 175 grains Magnus broadhead.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2024, 01:15:54 PM by SpeRo »

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2024, 07:15:21 PM »
Congratulations 🏹

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement