3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Jim's Dark Timber shafts  (Read 1357 times)

Offline rich k

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Big Jim's Dark Timber shafts
« on: October 04, 2024, 02:34:58 PM »
I just got my first order of .600 spine Dark Timber shafts. I wanted to compare the specs of these shafts with various other carbon shafts I have shot over the years. It has been my experience that carbon shafts are not as consistent, arrow to arrow, and even within each shaft, as aluminum. That may no longer be the case. Arrow manufacturers usually rate their shafts by consistent weight and straightness. But they don't indicate that the spine is consistent, between different arrows in the same dozen and even in each individual arrow. I don't claim to be the best shot ever, so when I miss I want to know that it was my fault, not the arrow. So, along that line of thinking I have always checked my carbon arrows for consistent spine. It has been my observation that spine is more important than weight and even straightness. I reached that conclusion after shooting wood shafts for years. I do shoot carbon rather that aluminum because they don't need straightening after hitting something other the the center of the target.
I have found that all of the carbon shafts I have spine tested usually have a variance in spine when rotating the shaft and measuring it in 6 different spots. Some have varied as much as the equivalent of 2 1/2 pounds. Not so with these Dark Timber shafts.
The six that I received measured exactly the same weight, to the grain. They also were all exactly the same .600 spine. The only variance I found was with two of the shafts when rotating and measuring. While they all measured .600 exactly, one measured 599 1/2 in one spot while the other measured 600 1/2 in one spot. I have never measured any carbon shaft that comes close to that for consistency.
I have seen Big Jim's torture test of these shafts. I know they will hold up just fine to anything I can throw at them. I don't know if they are the best carbon shafts in the entire world, but they are the best I have ever found.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2024, 02:45:05 PM by rich k »
"Aim at squirrel - miss squirrel. Aim at squirrel's eye - hit squirrel's head"  Native American expression.

Online Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Jim's Dark Timber shafts
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2024, 08:41:25 PM »
Thanks for that input Rich.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2024, 10:53:01 AM »
Thanks for this post. I have been seriously considering buying a dozen.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2024, 01:02:33 PM »
I will vouch for the toughness of the shafts. My wife and I have hit various hard objects like wood backstops, small rocks, etc. The last batch I bought seem to be even tougher

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2024, 09:13:52 AM »
Rich K, I want to thank you for your efforts!  I have a hard time overcoming the stigma of them being great shafts for the money.. When in reality, they are just great shafts for an affordable price!

Early on, I was importing the shafts from China after extensive efforts trying to make it happen with American owned companies. The shafts were very good from my Chinese supplier, but they had supply issues. Not all Chinese arrow shafts are poor quality, but all of the companies I dealt with before landing on my original Mfg, had no consistency at all.
Feeling frustrated, I looked in to South Korea and found the company that is and has been making my current Dark Timbers for the last couple of years. They cost me a little more, but it is worth it to have such a quality product. The South Koreans are very meticulous!
As far as pricing? I don't have the deep pockets that the other companies have for advertisement or to sit on product when things are slow. For this reason alone, I must sell them for less.
I don't have margins large enough to wholesale them to others, in fact, I make less profit on them than I do other brands but I sell a LOT more!
Spread the word.. Please  :pray:  :goldtooth:
Thank you, BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline rich k

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2024, 11:41:16 AM »
Big Jim
I honestly expected the shafts t\o be from China because of the price. I don't usually buy anything from China because of the inconsistent quality. When I saw they were from Korea I was relieved. Koreans are serious about their archery competition so I expect that they are equally serious about their arrow shafts.
I am not going to suggest that you should raise your prices but I am sure your shafts can easily compete with the other companies out there. Your shafts will top the others I have shot, including a couple of the more expensive ones.
I didn't need any shafts but I wanted to try yours because of the reviews they have gotten here. I will buy more when needed and will surely suggest them to others.
"Aim at squirrel - miss squirrel. Aim at squirrel's eye - hit squirrel's head"  Native American expression.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2024, 10:28:47 PM »
Which lighted nock fits them?  Hopefully the same as Goldtip.  Seriously thinking about ordering some.

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2024, 11:42:23 PM »
Jess Stuart, they have an inside diameter of .244. Depending on which lighted nocks you have for your GT.. they may work. GT is a.246 diameter.
BigJim

Online smoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2024, 10:15:33 AM »
I've been shooting them for about 6 months now - really an excellent product!  Nicely done Big Jim!

Online JayWatts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2024, 05:39:00 PM »
G'day Big Jim,

I shot your dark timbers through a mate's thunderchild. AWESOME, tough arrows with consistent spine and weight! I want to buy a dozen and I'm wondering if you have a recommendation on using a spine chart? Could I go off the GoldTip spine chart (thanks GT)?

Cheers!

Jay from Australia aka "Straya".

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2024, 05:43:52 PM »
I'm not a believer in spine charts.. they have a tendency to suggest stiffer shafts. Send me an email with any information you can about you and your bow.
I will help you figure out what you need.
BigJim

Online JayWatts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2024, 06:04:09 PM »
You're right and the last thing trad bows need is an overly stiff shaft that bumps the shelf!

Thanks so much mate, I'll shoot you a line.

Online Undomesticated

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2024, 06:29:05 PM »
OK, I want to try em. I don’t see any spine test kits on your website, Jim. Is that something you can offer?

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2024, 06:57:58 PM »
We have test kits, just haven't had time to get them loaded on the website.
BigJim

Users currently browsing this topic:

streamguy, Zing, Wyoming Chief, Chad R, BigJim, Undomesticated and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©