3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 0-2  (Read 539 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
0-2
« on: October 06, 2024, 06:55:49 PM »
Well not sure what’s going on. Last two shots on animals have NOT gone to plan.

But a gorgeous chocolate in the shoulder in Canada-no recovery (bear didn’t die I don’t think, that shoulder swallowed the hit).

Second sit here at home in Iowa, first shot sailed on doe-think I just misjudged the yardage. She hopped, walked in a circle & went back to feeding.

Looked like I had a good opening for second shot, hit a darn twig & shot went waaaay back into guts.

Gave her almost 6 hours, no blood at all. Walked the creek all the way to the river-nothing.

Just cannot stand wounding animals
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 0-2
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2024, 08:01:32 PM »
Both wounding and losing a mortally wounded animal is painful.

A dreadful experience dedicated hunters will encounter.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2024, 07:53:21 AM »
People often say that wounding is an inevitable part of hunting. I suppose it is but it doesn’t lessen the sting. I often find myself needing a couple of days to get my head around it.

I shot a deer Tuesday afternoon that I heard run down the edge of a cutover and ending with a “thump”. I was 98% sure I killed her and I hit her perfect albeit my penetration was poor.

I looked for two hours until well after dark. The arrow showed about 4” of penetration and had fallen out after two jumps. Since this is your thread and not
mine….let’s just say I didn’t find her. Two days later my buddies found her laying on the side of the washout road within 60 of my truck. I had walked by her at less than 10 yards twice without seeing her in a small depression. I can hardly write about it.

The point of all this is you only can do everything in your control to recover your deer. After that fate and luck come into play. It’s not going to be the last time it happens to either of us but I’ll be danged if I’m not going to learn something from this dreadful experience. I feel that in nearly 50 years of bowhunting; this might have been my biggest dumba$& moment.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2024, 08:02:42 AM by Stringwacker »
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2024, 09:22:39 AM »
Gonna tell you something I tell all my students. Once you understand mechanics, form, so much is mental. If you think you can make the shot you will. Don’t start with any negativity or begin to doubt. Whatever you missed is history. Ain’t no going back. Will have no bearing on the future unless you stress over it. Prepare yourself to execute the next shot and expect success.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©