3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow weight for kids  (Read 336 times)

Offline DawgDoc

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow weight for kids
« on: October 11, 2024, 01:25:14 PM »
Guys - I have a 7 year little boy that is interested in starting to shoot a trad bow. Can anyone tell me what draw weight a child of this age can typically shoot. I know there is alot of variables here just don't know where to start.
Thanks

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow weight for kids
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2024, 02:38:36 PM »
My 7 year old grandson shoots 15#. He can handle it fine. He can shoot his older brothers 25# but it is a bit of a struggle. All kids are different. I have bows from 10# to 30 on hand. They get passed down to the younger ones.

Offline Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2024, 04:50:49 PM »
Most 7YO can start with 12#-15# at 20 inch draw. Make a little PVC bow to start him with the basics, then get him better bow. Look for a used Black Rhino M-42 light, 11#@20” or regular 15#@20”. Or order from St Joe River bows.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2024, 08:01:55 PM »
Ditto on 15# to start at that age. Most bows that I've seen marked as 15# don't mean 15# @ 28”.  If you look closely, it says 15# @ 24” or some such, taking into account the drawlength for which they are intended.  So as the child grows and has a longer drawlength, he will automatically increase in poundage to some degree without having to switch bows.  Of course at some point the bow will begin to stack, and beyond that draw length it's really not much use anymore.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2024, 08:23:25 PM »
Can also look for an Elk Ridge Archery Pilgrim or Pilgrim Squirt.   My kid worked through a few Elk Ridge bows and a Black Rhino before getting a Prairie Predator from Mad Dog Archery.      I even shoot his Prairie Predator a few times a year......fun bow to shoot.   Sill have his first Pilgrim Squirt--quiver and most of the arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©